“A real treat for seafood lovers!”
Review of Cafe Essence

Cafe Essence
Ranked #24 of 168 Restaurants in Bangor
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Cafe Essence is a Chef Owned local seafood restaurant. This means our focus is on food. We are committed to preparing only the finest dishes and serving you only the highest quality food to capture the essence of fine dining.
Reviewed 29 October 2013

My husband and I ate here a couple of weekends ago on a Saturday night. We had reservations for 6.30 so when we arrived it was quite quiet with just a few other tables of diners. We were shown to our table by a lovely lady called Liz (I think) wife of the chef. I had already decided what I was having from reading their menu online and I wasn't disappointed. My husband and I both had seafood starters and maincourses as it is know for it's fantastic fish. The portion sizes were good and the food was absolutely delicious. The service was also great and made very personal by the friendly and efficient staff. I loved the decor and the overall ambience of the place and can't wait for an excuse to go back!

Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

I am a local and have been eating at Cafe Essence for a number of years now. Small first floor restaurant, maybe 50 covers max at a time, family ran, Chris has a wonderful selection of fresh seafood and local produce on throughout the week, works on a set menu for £25 and you add supplement for the steak(awesome)/lobster etc... Usually book for a Friday or Saturday, early bird is also available mid week.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We have been to Cafe Essence now a couple of times over the summer.
Both times have been great, excellent atmosphere and very attentive and knowledgeable staff.
There is complimentary homemade wheaten bread which is the best I have tasted (recipe was not forthcoming when I enquired).
There is a set menu with additional special on the blackboard, however it is mianly a seafood restaurant.
Great night out without a big bill and you can bring your own drink.
Would definitely recommend, however if Friday or Saturday night you will need to book in advance.
Only negative (and it is a small one) is that it can be very noisy when full and is quite hard to hear.
Will definitley be back.

Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

Its a fab little gem of a restaurant in bangor. Tastefully decorated. Serving excellent food. Byo. It has a buzz...particularly on fri & sat nites. Service is great also. Truthfully i have nothing negative to say. Love it. With friends, family, hubby or work. Suits any occasion.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Four of us had booked a table for 8.30 and arrived promptly. As none of us had ever been here before we were looking forward to a new dining experience away from the bright lights of Belfast.
The restaurant is located on the first floor up a very narrow staircase and appeared to be very busy upon our arrival. The head waitress apologised that our table was not ready and asked us to wait out in the corridor to the toilet area. we were shown to our table at about 8.45. Atmosphere was good and there was parties of 4, 6 and 8 people enjoying themselves. We asked several times for the menu but were told that the menu was written on two large chalk boards and other customers were using them. Set table menus were then handed out (£22 for two courses) and the chalk boards containing specials were brought to the table at about 9.10pm. We ordered two courses each and these started to arrive at 9.30pm - would have liked to have eaten at 8.45 but not much you can do. Whilst the set menu has a reasonable choice the board specials are too tantalising to ignore and this is where the menu bill starts to creep up..... whilst you can have the set two course for £22 by the time we chose of the specials board the meals ended up at £30/head. The food was good but served too late for me. The value is questionable at £30/head and the only saving grace is that it is BYO with a 'glass charge' of 1.50/head. There are some very good restaurants in Belfast and Ballyhackamore where you can have two courses with wine for £30/head so we won't be rushing back to Bangor for some time.