“Don't judge a book by its cover” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cafe Essence
Ranked #24 of 157 Restaurants in Bangor
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Cafe Essence is a Chef Owned local seafood restaurant. This means our focus is on food. We are committed to preparing only the finest dishes and serving you only the highest quality food to capture the essence of fine dining.
Northern Ireland
“Don't judge a book by its cover”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

On arrival you may not be impressed with the decor etc but the food is excellent - as well as the menu there is a daily board - fish features highly and all the food is cooked and presented with care and attention. Friendly staff and great atmosphere make for a great dining experience

• Visited February 2014

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Flawless”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Great atmosphere, fantastic food and impeccable service. My family and I go around once a month and have never had a bad experience. Everything is fresh, local produce and beautifully presented and the staff are extremely attentive. Flawless!

• Visited March 2014
“Fantastic meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

Visiting from UK saw reviews on Trip Advisor so thought we would give it a go. We had a mix of the specials board and a la carte my starter of chilli squid was perfectly cooked served with fresh salad and sour cream. My husband had chowder which again was lovely. The mains were large portions I had perfectly cooked red mullet and my husband had sea bass which again was perfectly cooked. I like the idea that you can BYO which we did. The staff were very friendly and helpful and although the restaurant is small it makes for a great atmosphere.
Only downside we found was that it was a bit on the expensive side 2 courses with our own wine was £55.
Would definitely recommend if you like seafood.

Visited March 2014
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Well what can I say,apart from being another fabulous night in our favourite restaurant.
Liz and Rosie being the best hosts ever ,even when I asked for a jug of water every 5 mins !!!!
The food speaks for itself,everything we ordered was delicious ,the scallops being the winner.
Great atmosphere,and we girls had a truly amazing evening.
Thanks again Liz and Rosie,see you soon x

Visited March 2014
Bangor Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Always a treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Cafe Essence is up there with the best restaurants in Bangor, one of the reasons we don't go there more often is because I'm not well enough organised to book in advance! Fortunately I got a booking last Friday (just about!). I had the Haddock Chowder as a starter and on a cold evening it was perfect, for my main I had Stuffed Chicken my partner had the Rump Steak, and for dessert we shared a Creme Brulee one of the best I've had. The chef sets a high standard and it was well kept, portions are very good for somewhere where the quality of food is so high. I'm looking forward to going back, maybe spend a bit more on some of the very tempting items on the blackboard! Bring your own is great too, my only very minor criticism is that they only have filter coffee, ah well you can't have everything :)

The service was very good, attentive without being obtrusive.

• Visited February 2014