“Very pleasant dinner”

Cafe Essence
Ranked #24 of 168 Restaurants in Bangor
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Cafe Essence is a Chef Owned local seafood restaurant. This means our focus is on food. We are committed to preparing only the finest dishes and serving you only the highest quality food to capture the essence of fine dining.
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I booked at short notice for dinner with two friends travelling from England. Despite it being Tuesday, the place was absolutely packed. The food couldn't be faulted-the scallops with parsnip puree were miraculous, the turbot superb and even something simple like homemade pate was very tasty. The service was a little slow, but every table was in action and I think the wait staff were kept very busy all evening. The prices are perhaps slightly higher than expected, especially if you go off the set menu and go for the specials, but the food was absolutely lovely. Cons-it was very noisy because it was so busy, and very hot (we went in June and the day had been warm and humid, and the crowded restaurant made me very hot and sticky!). The restaurant is quite small and cosy, and its reached by a relatively narrow and steep staircase, so unless they have a lift hidden away, less able customers may find it difficult to access. One of my companions was concerned that the restaurant didn't offer any form of sweetener rather than sugar, but the waitress said they'd never been asked for it before. I did try to explain that Northern Ireland folk have a very sweet tooth! It was the first time I've been to this restaurant and based on this experience I will definitely be back.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband and I visited Cafe Essence for the third time for my birthday in May. On our first visit about a year ago I couldn't rate the place high enough and left a very positive review on tripadvisor but I'm sorry to say that on each subsequent vist we've been let down a little more each time. Some of the food has lacked flavour and the service since our first vist, has lacked any friendliness and I felt it was very much a case of take the order, deliver the food and move on. The atmosphere in the place is non existant during the week although to be fair I am comparing it to our first visit which was on a Saturday evening and buzzing. I agree with other reviewers about pricing, the early bird and set menus are great value but if you decide to go off said menus and choose another dish from the board the price goes up significantly. Unfortunately I don't think we'll be back to cafe essence any time soon.

4  Thank Ann Marie B
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Went to this restaurant with 6 friends and we were all more than impressed with quality of the superb seafood dishes we enjoyed. The menu was varied and the taste amazing. I will definately go again and would recommend this restaurant to any seafood lover. There were also meat dishes available but we didn't try these.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Dont underestimate the low key look of this place. Simply the food is Michelin standard. I cant applaud it enough. I had the scallops to start followed by the stuffed chicken with a red wine jus. Just awesome.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

On arrival you may not be impressed with the decor etc but the food is excellent - as well as the menu there is a daily board - fish features highly and all the food is cooked and presented with care and attention. Friendly staff and great atmosphere make for a great dining experience