“Great Hotel for Hen Party”
Review of Marine Court Hotel

Marine Court Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Bangor
Co Armagh
“Great Hotel for Hen Party”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I booked this hotel for a hen party in May 2012 for 22 girls and I was not disappointed. The staff could not do enough for us from we booked into the hotel until we checked out. The hen party package is priced competitively and the hotels central location and setting made the weekend. The food both at breakfast and dinner could not be faulted and the staff were extremely friendly and joined in with our fun. The Cocktail making was an experience for the barmen sorry Stephen and Aaron if you are still havent quite got over it lol!!!! The DJ on the night made a real effort to take some details about our hen to ensure she got a few mentions throughout the night and to be honest these small things make all the difference. Great weekend had by all, and we are planning our next girlie weekend to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
, General Manager at Marine Court Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Thanks, Yoyoottoman, for posting your review.On behalf of the team here at the hotel we really appreciate your feedback. The hotel hosts many hen parties at the weekend and the response from the organisers is always encouraging. We here at the Marine Court are very fortunate to have a broad spectrum of guest and those who prefer a more sedate experience can and do stay Sunday through to Friday. As the GM of the hotel our reviewers constantly remind me of the warm natural hospitality they experience from the team at the hotel. Both Stephen and Aaron say hello!! and promise a few new moves and cocktails for your return visit!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Surrey
Reviewed 29 June 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 5 days on a business trip and wish everywhere was a nice as this. The room was spacious and clean, With a good sized work area and lamp, the health club and swimming pool an added bonus and the breakfast had everything you could want; cereals, extensive fruit platter, croissants, Danish pastries, cold meats and cheeses with rye bread, cooked breakfasts, maple syrup waffles....the evening meals were great, too. I had intended to eat out but after my first meal in ( the scampi basket was excellent) I stayed put! I hope to come back for a leisure visit next time. My only request would be free WiFi - many hotels provide this as did all the others that I stayed in on this trip.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank SpencerSurrey
, General Manager at Marine Court Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
A big thank you SpencerSurrey, for taking the time to post such inspirational feedback on your recent business stay here at the Marine Court. We are working hard on our corporate guest as you know they become our leisure guest of the future. I see you availed of our leisure facilities which is a welcome repose to a hard day at the office! Our breakfast offering has been vastly improved with a more varied selection inclusive of the heatlhy options. The recently introduced new seasonal menus are a big hit with the residents, as you would be aware on a 5 night stay its great to have something different each evening. We have taken on board your guidance with regard to the WiFi it will be complimentary on your return visit. Thanks again on behalf of the team.
Scotland
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Stayed here as we were gigging in the hotel, so apologies to those other guests who complain about the noise. The rooms are comfortable and spacious. The bathroom was clean and functional. Reception staff were helpful and professional. The breakfast was of a good standard and promptly served. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank chasersbass
, General Manager at Marine Court Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
We appreciate the time taken Chasersbass, to post your review. The Punk festival was without doubt an outstanding success and the feedback to date would lead us to believe that it will return for next year. In all honesty there was very little complaint in relation to the music. We here at the hotel also enjoyed the nostalgia that went with the 'craic'
Its good to hear that our hospitality remains one of our stongest attributes, along with the 'Ulster Fry'!! Here's to next year!!
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I recently attended a function at Marine Court. It was a 2 course meal. My partner and I had come here last year, and the food was very enjoyable. I knew then that this was a set menu and so I wasn't expecting extravagance, just good food at a very good standard, like last year.

Unfortunately, this time it was very different. I (and half of the guests at our table) had ordered a turkey and ham dinner and an apple pie for dessert, my partner ordered the salmon main and strawberry cheesecake for dessert. The service was given by lovely waitresses who were pleasant and chatty, but I would fault the dishing out. Once our meats were dished from the platter, it felt like a good 10 minutes before we were given our veg, and a further 10 minutes before we got our potato sides. The gravy was placed on the table just after our meats were dished up. When the waiting staff got around to serving us, their platters were almost empty. They were very apologetic, and I think it was their sincerity that prevented us from becoming too frustrated. It was another wait before a fresh supply of roasted potato came out and by the time we eventually had our full meals in front of us, the others who had ordered the roast beef had finished and were getting asked if they would like a second helping ( a gentleman sitting opposite had declined veg and waited longer than we did for the rest of our meal. A new waitress came over and asked if he would like seconds, to which he replied, 'No, thank you.... But I would like the rest of my meal please.') Like a few others who had the turkey, I wasn't very happy that my meat had gone cold, It was dry and chewy, very overcooked, and the stuffing, which had pretty much suffered the wrath of the heat it was sandwiched in, had become soggy and not very edible. The ham was just OK, having more flavour than any other food on my plate. I ate some of my veg, which were very nice, albeit slightly cold. The mash, I found, was bland and lacked density and flavor. My roasted potatoes weren't very roasted, and still very hard inside; Not the fluffy and lightness they had had the previous year. The gravy, although nice enough, was accompanied by a stodgy skin that I wasn't too keen on. I accept that the reason for this may be the wait between the meats and the accompaniments arriving on our plates. My partner also had the same wait for his sides, and although he ate his salmon, he described it as nice enough, but cold. He too said he found his roast potatoes not very nice. I left almost the entire meal on my plate, and, as I'd heard that the beef was quite nice, I didn't bring my disappointment to the waitresses attention as I didn't want to spoil the other guests meals. The desserts came out, and my apple pie was very nice, although beyond piping hot and almost perfect to look at. I couldn't help but feel this wasn't the product of the chefs, given my main course. It was still good to eat though. My partner, on the other hand, didn't enjoy his cheesecake, describing it as 'bland, and definitely needs more flavour if it's supposed to be a strawberry cheesecake.' He didn't finish his dessert.

These are the only two times I have eaten at the Marine Court and I'm not entirely sure if I would come back, whether it's for a function or just a meal. I had looked at the menu on my way out and saw a Chicken Caesar Salad for £11.50, and left me feeling that, as we had had a two course meal from a set menu, we didn't qualify as having the same standard of food as would another customer buying off of the menu on display.

I had heard lots of good reports about the Marine Court, which is why I feel so disappointed that our visit resulted in such an unenjoyable experience.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank schism86
, General Manager at Marine Court Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Thanks Schism86 for taking the time to record your experience of our Banqueting on your recent visit here to the hotel. It is disappointing to learn that it did not live up to your or my expectation. Your frustration is fully understandable given that you attended on the previous year and experienced better food and service. All the team here at the hotel would like to be associated with my sincere apologies. It is evident by your observations that the service was somewhat dysfunctional the protracted delay in between courses and quality of food is not a true reflection of our ability to deliver a much better experience as you can verify from the previous year, the sequence of events and our inability to correct them are without question unacceptable. However, your experience would appear to have been isolated as we have recieved many positive comments from fellow guests who also attended on the evening. You are very welcome to contact me via the hotel email of marinecourt@btconnect.com to discuss further your disappointment.
northern ireland
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I recently booked a groupon that included 2 steaks and 2 glasses of wine for £19 the views over the marina were lovely and the food and service was fantastic would recommend a visit if in Bangor!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank zobo1
, General Manager at Marine Court Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Thanks Zobo 1 for reviewing our 'awesome' steaks, your comments have been echoed by a previous reviewer. We are delighted you availed of the very successful Groupon promotion. The views to the Marina are indeed fantastic and your recommendation to visit us is greatly appreciated.
We look forward to having you back.
Bangor, Northern Ireland
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I got married on 30 May and had my reception in the Marine Court Hotel and I would definitely recommend it. It may not be the fanciest or most expensive of hotels but it the decor is lovely, the staff are so helpful and accomodating and the food is plentiful and delicious.
We dealt with Arlene and Majella on the run up to the day and Majella was the MC on the actual day and she did a brilliant job. Everyone said how great they made the room look and how tasty the food was. I felt the waiters and waitresses were so helpful and attentive and I couldnt fault them.
The only reason I haven't given the full 5 stars was that there was a little problem with the evening buffett, they still hadnt made it available at 10.00pm but when I went down and asked for this to be put on they were very prompt at getting all the food out. However, apparently they didnt replenish the food and we do know there was more to come as we had provided some of it ourselves.

Overall I would definitely recommend the Marine Court Hotel if you are looking for a reception venue as the staff are very flexible, friendly and accomodating and the service and food are top notch.

Room Tip: If you are just coming here for a break away try and get a seaview room as the views are lovely.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Marine Court Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Heeelllooo, Thank you for your terrific feedback in relation to your wedding celebration held here at the hotel in May past. Your comments have been passed on to the team I am delighted that you experienced the very best of our hospitality.We are very aware that you cannot replay those special memories. We are sorry about the little hitch regardingyour buffet, but it is pleasing to know that it was rectified in good time. We are striving to ensure that we exeed the expectations of our guests and your inspirational review assures us that is the case.
Teignmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights on business. The room was large, clean and comfortable. The staff were really welcoming and friendly. Breakfast selection was good and the location of the hotel gave a great view over the marina. It is also close to local pubs and restaurants of which there is a good selection. Could use a bit more housekeeping in the communal areas but generally a good find and I would stay here again without doubt.

Room Tip: Good view from higher floors but some noise from street facing side.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
bren428, General Manager at Marine Court Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Thanks MattWFS,for taking the time to post your review. Its especially pleasing as your where a corporate guest visiting on business.Your comments with regard to our hospitality is appreciated as we here at the Marine court believe that the staff are the currency of the business.
Feedback on the breakfast has been passed on to all concerned.

We would concur that the hotel is in an ideal location,step out onto the street and you have every amenity at your disposal. Your constructive observations with regard to the public areas have been addressed with our housekeeper and she wishes to be associated with my apologies.We look forward to giving you a warm welcome back.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangor
Clandeboye Lodge Hotel
La Mon Hotel & Country Club
Stormont Hotel
Stormont Hotel
#11 of 43 in Belfast

Been to Marine Court Hotel? Share your experiences!