“Christmas party”
Review of Marine Court Hotel

Marine Court Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Bangor
Reviewed 2 January 2013 via mobile

A group of 10 girls held our Christmas party here. The food was served when your party was ready for it- not when the whole room had sat down which was great. The food was piping hot, large portions and extras such as gravy boats for the turkey. Service was good and the bar was easy to get served it- also very reasonable offers on bottles of wine. DJ was good and played requests- also had a photo booth. (£2pp) which added fun. Would defo go back. As said in a few comments the hotel is looking a little dated but otherwise we had a great night!

• Stayed: December 2012
bren428, General Manager at Marine Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2013

Many thanks Lynsey K, for the time taken to post your kind positive feedback on Trip. This year the team worked hard to ensure everyone enjoyed the 'craic' on the Party evenings. The mix of good food ,music and efficient service is indeed hard to beat. It is not always possible to ensure this result each time when catering for 250 to 300 revellers. We have plans for a soft re-furb in the New Year, hopefully you will approve when you return this year.

Reviewed 28 December 2012

Stayed in hotel on boxing night with family no complaints about hotel more about restaurant lord nelsons we were booked in for meal at 5pm but it was 5.45pm before we got a drinks order. We ordered child's meal of fresh cod and chips but when the meal came it was 3 fish fingers and dollop of mash we complained and one lady waitress did sort it out and told us there was no cod left but said that this shouldn't have happened. I have to say that we did think it was a bit much to be charging £7.50 thk it was or £8.50 for this child's meal. Our meals came and were ok one little slice of turkey even though i didnt have the ham again I do not thk the meal was worth £24 each the child was supposed to get selection box and this did not materialise. I have to say it would not encourage me to return next year or recommend it to anyone either.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from the niteclub at my daughters family room on fourth floor they could here figh...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Thank you lilysteele, for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip. We are sorry that you did not feel the childrens' meal did not reflect good value for money and the portion size of the adult meals were disappointing everyone concerned wishes to be associated with my apologies. Although no consulation to you the drop in standards can be attributed to the end of a very busy day. I would be delighted to try and restore you faith in our quality of food and service. Please contact me on marinecourthotel@btconnect.com to discuss.

Reviewed 23 December 2012

I did not stay here, I called in to see the art exhibition. The 'By The Sea' show is a continuing display of artworks from many different painters. I say that, but there are also woodcuts, and works in other media. Many are hung in the restaurant, which also boasts an attractive view of the harbour.
My interest was the art, and I loved the variety of styles and subjects on show. Favourite? A blue lobster, it was a standout piece.
Regarding the hotel I should add that the staff were very friendly and helpful. I had never visited before, and chose the wrong door, into the adjoining bar. The lady serving happily volunteered to show me through to where I was going.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Steveodo

Many Thanks Steveodo, for taking the time to post your review on Trip. Alas, we can not take the credit for the fabulous exhibition of contemporary modern day art that is displayed in Nelson's restaurant. It is the initiative of our good friend Katie and has been a tremendous success. It is also good to receive the positive feedback in relation to the hospitality. Perhaps you will afford us the opportunity next time around to experience the cuisine.

Reviewed 10 December 2012

Lovely Hotel on the harbour front. We had an upgrade to a sea view room. The room was well kept with good quality bedding and furnishings. I would recommend the breakfast. There was an exellent selection of cold food on the buffet and the hot food was cooked to order.
Staff were friendly and very helpful without being intrusive.
We stayed over the weekend and as the hotel is on the main sea road we found it to be noisy with taxis and people standing around after the pub/club had closed. There was also a function under our room which although was muffled the noise still penetrated through to the room until around 1pm. Perhaps if we had not have had the upgrade it would have been quieter. I would have then rated the hotel as exellent

Room Tip: Any room not sea facing if you prefer quiet at night
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
bren428, General Manager at Marine Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2012

Thanks Spendee, for taking the time to record your positive feedback on Trip. The team are delighted you found our services exceeded your expectations. Indeed our Breakfast has vastly improved in the last year. We are very aware that it is the final dining experience the guest will have. It is also great to hear that you were treated with the utmost courtesy at all times during your stay.
We are sorry that you experienced adverse noise, unfortunately as a town centre location it is not always possible to ensure that you will not suffer a little disturbance at the week-ends. We will look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 27 November 2012

I organised this trip for my sisters Hen Party- their deal was amazing and by far the cheapest and Bangor is so handy due to great train links.

We had seen some mixed reviews on the Hotel and its deals, But there was 13 of us ranging in age from 29-60 and we had an amazing time, Cocktails, Dinner, Dancing and lovely Clean rooms. Breakfast was fantastic too- the bacon was so thick and tasty.

All in all Myself and every member of the party would go back this weekend and also recommend it to anybody.

The hotel had another Hen party, a Wedding and a large Christmas Do on, so it was really quite busy but the staff were helpful, witty, funny and friendly without being too over the top. Loved it!!!

My mum also left her phone charger in the room after check-out and when I phoned the receptionist (Laura) was so helpful and offered to pop it in the post for us.

The Hotel may look a bit dated in some areas but it is very clean.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank colstep
bren428, General Manager at Marine Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2012

Thanks Colstep, for taking the time to post your review. As I had replied to the previous reviewer we have established the hotel as a "Must Experience" destination for Hen celebrations. We are delighted that you found the whole experience was well worth the trip to Bangor. The team here at the hotel appreciate the feedback as it makes the comittment from our team to exceed the expectation all worth while. Look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

Myself and 12 of my friends and family stayed in the Marine Court on Saturday 24 November 2012, for my hen party. Having got the train to Bangor from Moira and Belfast we arrived at the Marine Court at 1.30pm, we decided to walk from the station to the Marine Court and leave the bags off as we could not check in until 3.00pm, however when we arrived we were greeted by a very pleasant receptionist who checked us all in and told us our rooms where ready and we could head on up, this was great as it gave us the opportunity to get rid of our bags.

The rooms were all clean, fresh and spacious, and as I don't drink tea or coffee the added extra of the hot chocolate meant my needs where catered for too and the beds are so comfy.

We had our cocktail class booked for 4.30pm and we had all looked forward to this for weeks and we where not disappointed, the bar man who was with us was a lovely young lad, who was very pleasant and joined in the banter and the craic with us without being too over the top or cocky. He took his time and didn't rush us out even though another party were booked for 5.30pm, he is a credit to the Marine Court.

We had dinner in the restaurant on Saturday evening. The quality and choice of food was great, the portion sizes are excellent. The waiters again were all very pleasant and joined in the banter. Breakfast was excellent with a great selection to suit everyone and again the waiters were really pleasant making sure everyone was happy and had everything they needed.

The DJ in Nelsons Bar played tracks to suit all ages in our party and had 13 very happy ladies bopping on the floor all night.

We did not use the leisure facilities so I can't comment.

The hen party package is excellent value and I will be recommending it to others.

Your hotel is spotless and bright and fresh. And your staff our a credit to the hotel.

Thanks again for a very wonderful and memorable night.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
bren428, General Manager at Marine Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

Thanks KarenMoore06, for posting your inspirational feedback on Trip. Having made the journey from Moira it is terrific to hear that your first impression of the hotel was one of superb hospitality and "Nothing is a problem attitude" from our Front of House Team. The cocktail training was carried out by Aaron, who has become the 'Tom Cruise' of our Bartenders he espouses all that is good from a member of staff and has been mention by previous reviewers.
I attended the service on Saturday evening in the Restaurant and enjoyed the 'craic' from all the 'Hens' I was also in attendance for breakfast on Sunday morning. All the team here at the Hotel deeply appreciate the time taken to record your comments. Looking forward to your return.

Reviewed 22 November 2012

We were only booked in for one night (Sunday). On arival the lady receptionist was very friendly. We were placed on the 4th floor - first problem - the lift didnt work. I count myself fairly fit but carrying even small bags up 4 flights wasnt the most enjoyable experience! The lift was still broken when we left despite assurances it was going to be looked at just after we arrived.

The room was fine more modern in appearance than I expected given the dated look of reception- a wee bit worn in places but lovely and clean and perfectly pleasing. The downside was we were at the back of the hotel and there was a constant drone of heating boilers (I assume). Not enough to annoy us but I'm sure it would annoy others. The main lamp in the room didnt work but there was enough light from the wall lamps to do fine.

Leisure facilities were fine - gym is a bit rough in places but does the trick. Pool was lovely and clean and staff very friendly.

Breakfast was great - wouldnt pay full price for it but as it was included in the room price I cant fault it. Lovely!

Overall I would go back without hestitation, but try to avoid the rooms at the back of the hotel if possible.

Room Tip: Rear rooms will suffer from boiler noise - we were in room 411 for reference
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you Blueface74, for recording your comments on Trip in relation to your recent stay at the Marine. We understand your disappointment with regard to being unable to use our guest elevator. We offered porterage to all guests who required assistance to get to their rooms. As you will appreciate we could not legislate for guests being unable to use the facility.
We are delighted that you approved of your accommodation, the disturbance was the hotel extraction which should have been turned off during the evening.Our night team which to be associated with my apologies.Your kind feedback has been passed on to our Oceanis and Breakfast teams. Looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangor
Clandeboye Lodge Hotel
Culloden Estate & Spa
Culloden Estate & Spa
#1 of 2 in Holywood
Hilton Belfast Templepatrick Golf & Country Club

Been to Marine Court Hotel? Share your experiences!