“Great taste of South Africa in Bangor”

Phezulu - South African Grill Bistro
Price range: US$16 - US$32
Cuisines: Irish, African, Barbecue, Fusion
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: At Phezulu we are privileged to have the opportunity to create menus & recipes that showcase our own fusion of local taste & preference with traditional & modern South African flavours. With our core emphasis on Braaing (barbecueing) all our meats we strive to produce exciting flavoursome dishes that appeal to both South Africans & locals alike. A blend of carefully selected authentic South African ingredients with local fresh produce allows us to produce unique dishes that are full of character & flavour. Phezulu is located in the heart of Bangor in a prestigious landmark building above The Red Berry Coffee Company. Once you step inside Phezulu the sights and sounds will make you feel like you have been transported to the heart of Africa. At Phezulu we strive to give you an all round South African experience offering you an insight into authentic cuisine and even a selection of exotic meats such as Ostrich, Springbok, Crocodile & Zebra. For those of who prefer to play it safe we offer a variety of dishes that are sure to please - including our tasty Peri Peri chicken and our flavoursome seafood chowder.
“Great taste of South Africa in Bangor”
Reviewed 15 August 2012 via mobile

My wife and I had a great meal last week. We found the food to be very tasty and the steaks cooked to our liking. Well worth a visit.

2 Thank David_McCullagh

Belfast, United Kingdom
“2nd time”
Reviewed 14 August 2012 via mobile

Our second time at phezulu. Really good restaurant, especially if you fancy something a bit different. A couple of things let it slightly down this time. I ordered my steak and asked for medium and it was positively well done! Nevertheless very tasty. Also, we were placed under the canopy and were the only ones there. The restaurant was full on the lower tier. The staff kind of forgot about us unfortunately! It took about half an hour or more for our combo starter to arrive. The bill didn't arrive when we had finished and after waiting quite some time we got up and stood at the reception area. There weren't any staff on the restaurant floor at all. We stood there for a while until a girl arrived and we were able to ask for the bill. There should be atleast one member of staff on the floor to attend to customers- I think their kitchens are upstairs. But overall I wouldn't hesitate in coming back!

1 Thank NorthernIrishGirl
Belfast, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not impressed”
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I visited the restaurant in July with my daughter's husband and parents who are from Cape Town South Africa. As Ive already pointed out to the owner the service was very poor with staff standing around chatting while we sat waiting for the table to be cleared for over 10 minutes, the chargrilled chicken was inedible and was left on 3 plates and we had to forgo dessert because the service was so slow, in order to catch our train home. I also stood at the counter for a long time trying to get a member of staff to pay the bill but no one was available I got in touch with the owner who asked for my name and address and said he would send a voucher for a comlimentary meal. Despite a further e mail I still haven't received anything .

• Visited July 2012
bangor
“why didn't we try here 1st!?”
Reviewed 30 July 2012

havin a bad expreience in another restarant a while ago my wife was pushin me to try here. She had been here on a living social deal with one of her friends before and loved it. as i said, bad experiance put me off this type of food so was a bit weary to go. went anyway to keep her happy, but didnt have one of the deals. we didnt need one. saw the early bird menu and 2 courses for £10 was great value and saw the main menu which had more choice to it. My wife had sweet potao and cumin soup and i had chowder. was amazing! chowder was thick and creamy and full of prawns. the soup was sweet and flavourful and really nice. waitress was lovely and explained the safari special to me and knew alot about the menu. for our mains i ordered the borwor sirloin and she had the mushroom ribeye. the mushrooms were in a creamy cheese sauce and when my wife cut into her steak it was perfectly cooked! there was a thin edge that was a buit more medium (i think that was just cos the diffrence in thickness) but she cleared her plate befor eme! i wanted my steak med rare and thats what i got. Well seasoned and the chakalak was spicy. my borwor was quite garlicy and i loved it! sausage was meaty and flavorful and was a great addition to the steak. we had dessert as well, both had milk tart wich was really good too. All in all a fantastic time here. will def be back and wouldnt think twice about advising friends to eat here. great food, great staff and lovely views of the sea. will be back!!!!!!

Visited March 2012
1 Thank rodriguez79
Bangor Co Down
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Win! Win! Win! & Win!”
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I've been to this restaurant many times and have never had a bad experience. I've been twice within the last few weeks, once with a group of six friends and once with a group of four. On both occasions all plates were cleared! The service was friendly, fast and efficient even when the restaurant was very busy. The food was really tasty and at a very reasonable cost! And it's BYO. Hence Win! Win! Win & Win! We'll be back!

Visited July 2012