“From best to worst”

Ranked #103 of 172 Restaurants in Bangor
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 October 2013

My wife and I have been there three times in the past 8 months and each time the food has got been worse than before.
The last time we went there was a Saturday night in August, the occasion was to spend a £50 voucher received as a fathers' day gift.
The reason I had kept it so long, I was really not looking forward to the experience.
On the two previous occasions my wife and I had been there one was to enjoy the previously good fare the restaurant served from their a la carte menu.
It would be fair to say on that occasion the portion sizes were reduced and the food was not up to previous standards but was still reasonable.
The second occasion was because we bought a Groupon voucher for a Steak meal and thought it worth a try. It wasn't.
The third occasion we looked at both the dinner menu and the a la carte.
Both were very similar and with the dinner menu offering a free bottle of wine we decided to opt for the dinner menu.
The good! The waitress was pleasant and efficient.
The wine was fine.
The bad! My steak was very small a fatty.
My wife chose salmon and then left most of it's I had more bones than a herring.

After I complained to the Manageress about the food, she offered what remained of my voucher in cash, despite this being against policy.
I gave this to the waitress, who let's face it, can't have an easy life.

Best advice, go somewhere else.

1  Thank sixroadends

Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I booked a table for ourselves and two visiting relatives for lunch in Nelson's restaurant today.

We hoped to seat our guests upstairs at a window table, where they enjoy the view.

To our dismay we were told that the upstairs restaurant does not open at lunch time. Ourselves and our guests found this very disappointing. To add insult to injury, the menu in the downstairs restaurant had a poor but ordinary selection of dishes - none of these would be suitable for our party.

We therefore had no alternative but to take our guests
to another restaurant.

I am surprised that the Marine Court has lowered its standards.

We therefore look forward to the upstairs restaurant being open when our guests next arrive, so that we will be able to entertain them in style.

Please reply to this review. Marine Court don't let your customers down.

Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

This was only my second time eating here in the past year and I've been very impressed on both occasions! The food is great, with large portions. I had the combo starter which is good for sharing between 2 people and you get plenty! The chicken goujons were amazing! My main course choice was the surf and turf which consisted of steak, chicken and scampi and this was also great with the steak cooked perfectly!
If choosing off the main menu it can work out expensive enough but they also have several meal deals and dinner for 2 with a bottle of wine type deals for 29 which are good value!
The service was excellent - particularly the two foreign waiters Ilhan and Billy who looked after us extremely well and have a brilliant sense of humour! They are fantastic waiters and a great asset to the restaurant.
I was very pleased that after returning a year later the food is just as good and the service even better! Definitely an under rated restaurant.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

I have been going to Nelsons on and off for years always expecting the menu to change but it never does. The food is usually fine but if you go late on a Saturday night it can be a bit hit and miss. On the plus side the staff are always helpful and pleasant.

2  Thank brian m
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Called in to Nelsons for lunch. Greeted by a pleasant waiter and given our choice of table. Order was quickly taken and our drinks arrived while the food was being prepared. Food was good in both quantity and quality and staff were attentive. Prices were reasonable.
Our only gripe was the music being played was geared to a much younger clientelle whilst most diners were retired, this however is a common complaint of ours and perhaps no one else is bothered. Would consider a return visit.

1  Thank Observor B