“The Truth is out there”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Let's dispel some myths
Papa Joe's is a party place and it's very noisy
We went on a Saturday night for my wife's birthday and it was indeed very busy. There was a good buzz about the place, yes it was quite noisy, but so are most places at the weekend. it wasn't annoyingly loud.
You have to wait for a long time for your table
We did, a whole 10 minutes, no big deal
It's a bums on seats place, tables too close together
Nonsense. Ok, tables are fairly close but it's no worse than anywhere else, certainly not as bad as some restaurants which try to cram so many people in that they are like canteens
Service can be slow
We found the staff to be friendly and efficient. attentive but not obtrusive, no long waits, in fact no problems at all
The food can be bland and/or pre-prepared
I had had the ribs with the Louisiana Hot Hot sauce. I asked how hot it was and the waitress said it was very hot, but could be made hotter if I would like. I said 'the hotter the better' as I like spicy. The Louisiana Hot Hot Hot sauce that arrived was very definitely not bland. Heat rating was comparable to a good vindaloo, My frend's Beef Enchilda was also full of flavour, as was everyone else's meal. As to the food being pre-prepared, there obviously is an element of that in every busy restaurant but there was nothing in any of the dishes we had that resembled anything Little Chef would serve up.
My wife has been to Papa Joe's quite a few times with the girls from work, but this was my first visit. There were six of us and everyone had a great time, enjoying atmosphere, food and service. I was a litte apprehensive at reading some of the negative reviews, but I need not have worried, we couldn't find anything to complain about, portions were good and prices were reasonable. My birthday is coming up soon - I'm thinking of making it a return visit to Papa Joe's

2  Thank PaulHFromCranley

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Visited this restaurant on Thurs this week with my husband and 2 friends. The service was slow and when we eventually got served my steak did not live up to expections. It was the most expensive on the menu, i ordered it medium rare and was looking forward to enjoying it. First thing it was overcooked which might have been ok but it had no taste, i may as well have been eating cardboard. Having said this my friends had no complaints and my own complaint was resolved to my satisfaction.

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Generally this is a really good restaurant and when it's on form the food is fantastic. Unfortunately it does seem to have its off days. The female floor staff are brilliant, really friendly and efficient. The male staff not so much, which is a shame as they seem to be the managers.

5  Thank domesticgoddess31
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Having not eaten here for many years due to poor service and bland food my recent trip was a pleasant surprise. We arrived for lunch and found the place relatively busy which gave it a nice buzz. Service was pleasant and attentive. The food was good although portions a little large for lunchtime. Overall good value.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Busy place, and easy to see why. Huge menu, with a Mexican slant but not only.
The starter of Brie Arnaud was the best fried brie I have ever had. Beautifully breaded and melted, it not only had a cranberry sauce but also a mushroom one which perfectly complemented the cheese.
The main of sweet chili duck was tasty if a little difficult to eat in its pastry basket.
Full after this, I opted for a mini desert with my coffee instead of a full portion, and this was the only disappointing part - the fruit meringue had one and half slices of strawberry between two meringues.
My friends' meals looked delicious too.
No alcohol license here.
Would definitely go back.