“Rubbish place avoid”

Cuisines: African
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Been here twice and both times were disappointing. Should be a thriving little place but drive past anytime and the carpark is empty. Is it any wonder?? Food is overpriced and below average, staff can't seem to cope even when the place is near empty, orders wrong both times, food cold and drinks order never even brought to the table. Found the overall experience rubbish, with over the top decor and poor atmosphere we just binned the 10pound voucher which they gave us at the end as they knew we were massively unhappy with the meal etc as there be more chance of us flying to South Africa for a meal than ever going back to this horrid place

4  Thank Franabi

Reviewed 11 May 2014

went here for my birthday with my family and won't be back got raw steaks even when we sent them back we got told that they would be fresh steaks cooked and we got the same steaks back I told the person in charge she didn't seem to care no apology and while we were there we seen other people send food back good thing is plenty of good places to go next time but not here very poor makulu 5

2  Thank 1tonblade
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This is apparently a South African restaurant - name, explanation on menu & decor, but thereafter it falters. There are very few items on the menu that are representative of the real SA - Zulu hot chicken wings, a couple of Cape Malay curries, some boerevors & some game. The rest is bog standard steak house fare you can get anywhere.

The music was loud & very non-South African. There must be hours & hours of authentic SA music they could play & which will match the theme. This is a bad & unnecessary fail. It was difficult to hear the waiters due to the volume of the music.

Service was rather poor. We were asked if we wanted drinks while we decided what to order. We ordered a Castle lager, a glass of wine & a glass of tap water. The waitress came back for our order before we'd received our drinks & seemed put out when I pointed out we were still waiting for our drinks. The restaurant was not busy & there was no reason we should have had to wait so long.

The restaurant totally missed their opportunity to sell their theme. We weren't asked why we'd decided to come to a South African themed restaurant. Had we been before? Had any of us been to SA? Were any of us from SA? No explanation of the SA items on the menu. Simply no attempt to engage with customers.

We were never asked if the food was acceptable despite waiters regularly walking past. There was no eye contact & when our glasses were empty we weren't asked if we wanted more drinks.

So, ambience OK but service poor.

Onto the food:

Starters were good. Chicken wings & calamari very tasty.

Main courses rather poor. I asked for simple boerewors & chips but the waitress had to go and ask if that was available because she said boerewors was only on the lunch menu (not the case). The boerewors was over cooked & very dry. Also it has been made into long sausages rather than the traditional coil, which keeps it moist when cooking - as long as it's not cooked for too long. The boerewors was also rather bland. My wife's steak was also over cooked - medium rather than medium rare - but apparently quite tasty.

Puddings were good as was the liqueur coffee.

However, another missed opportunity to upsell at the end when we could have been asked if we wanted to buy any of the SA specialities to take away - for eg biltong.

I could go on, but the bottom line is that I probably will not be going back. Sorry.

4  Thank Henry B
Reviewed 3 May 2014

By far on of the best meals or should I say many meals. I have visited a few times and I am addicted to the theme nights. Thursday is the best night for me. The staff are very pleasant, very helpful. The service is fast and friendly., The food is outstanding and very good value for money. I would recommend this restaurant very highly for anyone in the area to give it a go.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We just had a fabulous grown-up family night out at Makhulu 5. Top marks for service, atmosphere, food - feeling totally stuffed now! When you walk through the door of this restaurant you are immediately hit by the impact of a lovely smell of cooking and the unique décor. Very busy but staff were extremely friendly and efficient. Loved the open kitchen and the buzz of the chefs and staff sorting out the orders. A very interesting menu and the portions were absolutely enormous and tasty - a first experience of ostrich and springbok and they were delicious. Makhulu is certainly not a typical American-type plastic themed restaurant like some others nearby, it has a feel of real Africa about it and I highly recommend it