“best in NI for business trips”

Clandeboye Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Bangor
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Stayed here loads. Free wifi, great breakfast, plenty of places for good evening runs in the summer. Staff are great and rates are good. Worth the drive out of the city- try it

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,102)

Reviewed 19 October 2011

We had our wedding reception in the Viceroy suite at the Clandeboye Lodge. On the day we were lucky in that there was no other event booked at the venue and we were given the use of the larger bar area downstairs for our welcome drinks. This was such a brilliant and unexpected bonus and we really appreciated it.

The events staff were really helpful and knowledgeable from the first time we met with them until we waved them goodbye on the morning after the wedding. We live overseas and it made planning our wedding so much easier knowing that there was a professional team back in Bangor with bar staff, chefs etc all organised for us. We just had to sort out small details and book the band! We could never have organised the day on our own and it made the atmosphere so much more relaxed than if we had attempted to do so.

The bridal suite was beautiful and we wish we had booked it for another night as we were so busy we didn't have time to enjoy it!

We can't recommend the Clandeboye Lodge highly enough! For anyone planning a wedding or other big event it is worth bearing in mind that while you will probably only plan a few such events in your lifetime, the staff at Clandeboye Lodge are experienced professionals who have it down to a fine art. For us it was worth leaving it to the pros! Lovely day. Thank you !

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Eeeeeeeeek
Reviewed 18 October 2011

We have stayed at the Clandeboye once before and it was because of the great service ,good food, and lovely hotel that we returned again. It is great as it is only about 15 mins drive from Belfast and is a lovely retreat tucked away in the country! Eventhough we were only staying for night it was just what the doctor ordered as we had a late night/ early morning at a party the previous night so we just needed a nice place to relax! I have to say true to form as with the last time we stayed the service was excellent. The receptionist was so welcoming and helpfull. We had booked the package with bed, breakfast and evening meal. We couldn't fault the bedroom this time we had a standard room which was a double bed which was smaller than the bed we had the last time we stayed as that bed was huge!! The en suite was spotless and just I couldn't find a thing out of place. We had our table booked for 7.30 in the restaurant. On coming down we were acknowledged immediatly and seated, there was a large menu to choose from. We both like good, well presented food and the presentation of the food was very good and appetising. My boyfriend had the goats cheese to start which he liked, I had the broccolli and chilli soup, this was also good but I felt it could have done with a bit more of a kick (but I am nit picking with that! I am used to eating hotter food). For mains my boyfriend had slow braized beef which was fab! The gravy had great depth to it and was full of flavour. I had the cod which was equally as good. We were also served roast potatoes and veg on the side. Dessert: I had the apple and gooseberry crumble. I have to say the portion was huge!!- unfortunatly I couldn't finish it as I was so full! It was very nice and the crumble was crunchy which I liked. (as there is nothing worse than soggy crumble!!).
It was very hot from the oven so had to let it cool for a few mins (again I'm only nit picking!) My boyfriend had the ice creams which were well presented and nice. We had this included in our package but if you don't have this in your package I think the price for a 2 course meal was around £16.95 and for a 3 course £19.95. I do apologise if I am wrong with that but am nearly sure it was around that price. Also on looking around the restaurant the other diners seemed to enjoy the food as all I saw was empty plates, which to me is a good sign!! I do think it was good value for money the price of the wine don't break the bank either. The service from the waiter and waitress was also very good and always made sure we were happy. Again were both very happy with breakfast the next morning. There is a good variety and the cooked breakfast was very good. Again on our departure the receptionist was very friendly. We will be back!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2011

We have stayed at the Clandeboye Lodge three times and have been delighted with our stay every time. We run a busy guest house and enjoy the tranquil country setting and the peace and quiet it offers. Looking out of the window and seeing trees is very restful. We always find the service friendly, the breakfast tasty and the extras, such as newspapers, welcome. We will be back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2011

We chose to have our whole wedding day at the Clandeboye Lodge. We knew from the minute we walked in that it was just perfect. Ian, Lorraine and Gia were amazing and nothing was a problem in the weeks leading up to the wedding day, Chris ran the whole day without one hitch he was fantastic.
The food and service was outstanding and our guest are still raveing about it.
We had seventeen of a family who traveled over from Newcastle Upon Tyne and spent a week there, they were so impressed with the hotel and just fell in love with the staff especially Cathie who just couldnt do enough for everyone, we cant thank them enuf.
We would advise anyone who is getting married and wants a perfect day to remember to visit the Clandeboye Lodge before they make any final decisions you wont be dissapointed.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anne p
Reviewed 3 October 2011

My husband and I revisited Clandeboye a year after we married there and will still give it a top rating. The food was superb, the service was excellent and the overall evening was thoroughly enjoyable.
I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are looking for a luxurious night away or if you are looking for a good restaurant to eat. You wouldn't find better in Bangor.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2011

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for the first 2 nights of our 10 night travelling holiday in Northern Ireland. The exceptional standard of service was such that no other hotel we stayed in could go anywhere near to matching it. From the moment we walked into the hotel I knew that I had made a good choice. We were greeted by a very friendly receptionist who was genuinely interested in where we had come from and what we were going to do during our stay.

We had booked a 2 night Autumn package which included complimentary Irish coffees on arrival - a lovely and appropriate gesture from the hotel. We were also offered complimentary newspapers for the duration of our stay. Our executive room was lovely with a massive bed and an abundance of extras that I wouldn't have expected on such a deal. The package also included dinner (with a bottle of house wine) on one of the nights and this proved to be so superb that we chose to eat there on the second night (at the full restaurant rate). Breakfast was also excellent with a wide range of the usual continental choices and/or a wonderful 'cooked to order' Ulster Fry. The whole package cost us £85 per room per night which is unbelievably good value for money. I don't know how they do it but I am glad that they do.

A word about the staff, who all seemed to be locally recruited. They are all extremely well trained and nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them. All were easy to engage in natural conversation with and, like the receptionist, wanted to know what our plans were and willingly gave advice on places to visit. Exceptional customer service is a rareity these days so well done to the Clandeboye Management and staff.

This hotel is, quite rightly, receiving excellent Trip Advisor reviews and a number of professional accolades. If you are looking for a superbly run hotel in a beautiful location close to Belfast and the Co Down coast, look no further than the Clandeboye Lodge Hotel.

Thank you Pim and all your staff. If we return to Northern Ireland in the near future, you will certainly be our first port of call. Superb.

Room Tip: The rooms and everything else about this hotel is exceptional. I can't imagine that there are a...