“Top Spot”

Ranked #1 of 20 Bangor B&B and Inns
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Top Spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

This was a great place to stopover after the long haul from Australia . Early nights due to the jet lag were totally undisturbed and I had a terrific rest in the comfy queen bed. En-suite shower room was immaculate and the heating on those cold nights was never an issue. The guest house is ideally situated for a stroll along the marina and back before tucking into a superb breakfast .
Its also good to have the on site parking , and lets not overlook the free WiFi which is a must these days . Thanks again to Philip & Mary for another flawless stopover

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

I have just stayed with Philip & Mary Weston at their beautiful guest house and can't say that I've stayed anywhere better! The house is beautiful, immaculate, homely and very quiet. The room was spotless and provided everything I needed - comfortable bed, spotless brilliant white bed linen and towels, homely furnishings and lovely view of the back gardens, even the distinct sound of seagulls in the mornings was lovely.

The breakfast menu was first class and I don't think I've ever had such delicious scrambled eggs on toast before (my mother couldn't even have competed!), all served in a beautiful dining room with very low Irish music in the background.

There's also lots of information made readily available about where to go and what to see - but being so close to the beautiful coastal path and marina was enough for me to take in!

I'm originally from Northern Ireland but have been living and working in London for 12 years and don't come home very much. This was a spur of the moment trip to get some quiet time and finish a project and I really couldn't have picked anywhere nicer, more welcoming or more peaceful. Philip and Mary are the perfect hosts and make their guests feel very comfortable. Everyone visiting Bangor should stay here, I know I'll be keeping their number for any future trips! A truly pleasurable trip! Thank you!

Room Tip: All the rooms are good!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Wells, Somerset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

Booked into Shelleven for one night on a sudden trip 'home' due to a family bereavement. Having not stayed here before, I didn't know what to expect particularly as I've used many guest houses around the UK over the last 20 years and quality can be awful. Well, to put it simply, this is the best I've stayed in yet. Room was light due to two windows, bathroom spotless with soft towels and a decent shower, comfortable mattress and pillows (I'm fussy and the last time I said that about any hotel was The Westin in NYC five years ago!). An iron was provided when I needed one (what is it with cotton shirts!?) and the breakfast was great, a full Ulster fry naturally, but they did have a range of fruit and cereals too, for those more concerned about their waistlines! Onsite parking (a must for me when I go back home) and a sea view, even from a room on the side of the house. This guest house could show some of Bangor's more expensive establishments a thing or two. You couldn't fail to be impressed with Paul and Mary's hospitality..

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at Shelleven for the weekend, to attend a friend's wedding up the road in Crawfordsburn. It was a perfect base for us that met all of our needs. Located just a short walk from the centre of Bangor and the lovely marina. The staff were efficient and welcoming. We booked a double room, and were given a huge room on the first floor with a double and single bed, with a sea view from the front of the house. Bathrobes were a nice added touch. The bathroom was also large and beautifully fitted. We enjoyed a hearty Irish breakfast on both days, included in the price. It was also no problem borrowing an iron. All in all this was a pleasant, clean guesthouse and I strongly recommend it.

Room Tip: The first floor room with double and single bed is large and offers a sea view
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

The lady and Gentleman that run this establishment are worthy of those titles, as a very warm and friendly welcome was found. It was my first time in Northern Ireland but it won't be my last. In all I had a very pleasant stay and the people are lovely.
The housekeeping cannot be faulted. My room as with the rest of the guesthouse, was spotless.
For an Englishman you can never have enough tea and there was plenty provided both at breakfast and in room although obviously you have the choice of coffee also.
I simply couldn't think of something that was missing in my room and I also made full use of the convenient hairdryer that I found on my first day as it was raining when I arrived.
The on-suite bathroom has everything you need, modern fittings, a large powerful modern shower, a sink with plenty of woosh! More than enough clean towels at your disposal.
There is an incredibly packed guest information book in each room which contains a whole host of useful information- places of historic interest local knowledge places to visit important and useful numbers. There is a detailed map of the town and a whole lot more.
The breakfast was up to the same standard as everything else. Fantastic; of which the sausages were a highlight. I implore you to have both an Ulster Fry and an omelette during your stay and you won’t be disappointed.
If you intend to go to Bangor this is the perfect place to stay as it has everything you need and everything is within a short walk of the guest house.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2012

We stayed in October just as Autumn was winning the seasons challenge. The place is lovely and we got a warm welcome. The room was large and comfortable with a super window with a view. The setting is great . Set well back in a grand street and very quiet but still close to all facilities such as train and bus. The town is on the doorstep and the Marina and seawalks are minutes away. Breakfasts were a treat and the atmosphere is reflective of the open friendliness of the owners. We would heartily recommend Shelleven to all and we will be back

• Stayed October 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

Stayed at Shelleven for four nights with my mother (who walks with a stick) and could not have picked a better place. Phil and Mary were kindness itself and went out of their way to help us. It was a very wet and windy day when we arrived and Phil drove us to Coyle's Bar (good food). We had the lovely big bedroom with seaview but after mother had problems with using the shower, they arranged for us to transfer to the ground floor bedroom with walk-in shower. They even tried to get a bath-stool for her. Mary's cooking was great - so nice to have properly made scrambled eggs, and with smoked salmon too. We really could not fault it and would recommend it to anyone.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangor
Marine Court Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,664 reviews
Rayanne House
Rayanne House
#2 of 3 in Holywood

Been to Shelleven Guest House? Share your experiences!