All reviewsstayed hereminor detailwash hand basinlocation is fantasticbathroom doorgood sizeone night stayrooms were spotlessfew minutes walkevery morningbusiness tripbed was very comfortablelocal amenitiestea and coffee facilitieseasy accesspleasant staybangor marina
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

If you want excellent value for money with quality accomodation and service and a lovely location Astala House is it. Being welcomed at the front door with a smile was a nice touch and this was mirrored throughout our stay. Our room was at the top (not an issue because of the lift) overlooking the marina with views out over the Irish Sea, clean, bright and comfortable. A good hearty and freshly cooked breakfast each day set us up nicely and there are a host of top eateries on the doorstep (in fact a great chinese right across the road!). All in all an excellent stay and we would gladly stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed in a twin room, and was late for check in, the owner was very supportive, place was clean, tidy.. all went very well. The breakfast was excellent, and the view of marina was tranquilling....

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank darshanakorala
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

I almost wish I could write 2 reviews on this property to reflect our experiences! We arrived and our booking said twin room as opposed to double ( our fault, we think). The owner very kindly said she could move us after the first night. Sadly the first night was a bit of a disaster. As mentioned by other reviewers, rooms 1&2 have an adjoining door. This might be perfect if you are a family/group and I feel this feature should be advertised to those booking these rooms. However when next door to people returning at 2am drunk I was awake all night ; the light shone through the door and even when they were getting ready I could hear every detail down to them putting deodorant on, never mind the loud voices and music in the early hours. It was like having a party in my room ! I'm sure they appreciated us getting up bright and early at 7.30 for a day out too! Another grumble was no tv remote - when we had planned a relaxing evening watching the England game before the day trip, we had to get up, reach up behind the tv and guess where the buttons were. We didn't want to leave the window open as it was next to a flat roofed area , so we sweltered. In honesty, if this had been our room for the whole visit, we would've left.

But! Then we moved the following night to a beautiful, light, large room overlooking the marina, which was lovely. Had this been our room we'd have had no complaints and I'd have given 4/5 stars. It was spacious and well appointed.

The rooms were all incredibly clean and the communal areas were nice. Breakfast was delicious and prompt, freshly cooked.

All in all we had a great trip to bangor and our second room was lovely and we were grateful to be moved. However do be careful if booking room1 or 2 that it meets your needs.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank toffeegirlie
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Great location not far from Marina. Friendly welcome. Comfy beds and great bathroom. Whole place looked and felt new, clean and well loved. Enjoyed breakfast after perfect night's sleep. I don't think it would suit a business trip but very good for a leisure stay. Very good value for money.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Perhaps it was because i stayed out of season on a business trip butmy experience at Astala does not match the more positive reviews. For a not cheap rate I got a spartan room with inadequate light, no work desk, the bathroom light was not working and there was no shower gel provided (until I asked). I found remnants of the previous occupant's personal toiletries and the cleanliness wasn't up to what i expected. I was awoken by the noise of people getting up at an early hour and extractor fans from other rooms and the lift is noisy. The breakfast was woeful, watered down orange juice, though they did provide decaf coffee. I am always wary of establishments that ask for advance payment on arrival and I was not wrong about this place. It was on a par with cheap accommodation around Paddington station. I requested a sea view but was given 'roof' view. The room was stuffy and the shower rubbish. It seemed to me that minimal effort was made for my stay.

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business