“A taste of Italy in Bangor”

Caproni's of Bangor
Ranked #3 of 3 Dessert in Bangor
Good for: Child-friendly
Good for: Child-friendly
Bangor, Northern Ireland
“A taste of Italy in Bangor”
Reviewed 12 April 2013

With no offence intended towards the other establishments selling ice cream in Bangor, it has long been our ice-cream-loving household's view that Bangor is crying out for a decent ice-cream parlour. It is with delight that I can report that we may finally have just that! The parlour is tiny but has a few chairs and tables, and if summer ever comes, it will be pleasant to sit outside to enjoy the view of Bangor Marina while you enjoy your cone. Quite rightly, however,, the star of the show is the ice-cream itself. This is the dense, creamy, delicious gelato you get in Italy. I remarked on this to the owner and was told the similarity is not coincidental - it's made to a traditional recipe by an Italian family. I've tried a few flavours, but so far my favourites are the 'Gold', made with tooth melting Scottish tablet (yum!) and the 'Rocha' which is chocolate with Ferrero Rocher (need I say more?).

Queen's parade has been a sorry looking sight to behold for a few years now so I'm urging everyone - go to Caproni's, enjoy a great tasting cone and support a new local business in an area that really needs this kind of boost.

Oh and did I mention the delicious ice-cream?!?

• Visited April 2013