“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Corin on Mainstreet - CLOSED

Corin on Mainstreet
Price range: US$6 - US$26
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Drinks, Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Top service, quality food; what more do you need? The pork belly was delicious, and the little touches (amuse bouche etc) added to the evening. We were very impressed and will be back for sure.

• Visited December 2013

“Simply the best”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Looking at the recent reviews it almost seems as if there are two different Corins.

This was my third visit and each one has been superb.

A Tuesday night it was by no means full but busy enough to give an atmosphere.

From the delicious fennell and carmellised onion bread, an amuse bouche of chicken with chilli jam and pear and prosecco sorbet, varied starters and mains through to the coffee and petite fours the food was all delicious, well cooked and pleasantly served and enjoyed by everyone.

The cheese board was a work of art (yes the portions of cheese were smallish BUT there were ten of these which in total was more than adequate) and the highlight of the evening was the limoncello tart - the burst of flavour when it hit your tongue was orgasmic!

All you can do is speak for your own experience and in my opinion this is currently the best restaurant in Northern Ireland.

• Visited January 2014
“Fabulous food that gets better every visit”
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Well what can I say, every meal I have had in Corin (about 10 since opening in 2013) have been fabulous but each time I have something different it gets better and better, how do u manage that?

Last night was no exception, the wild boar starter was devine, the duck main was melt in the mouth, hubbies rabbit which I sneaked a bite of gave me food jealously and the cheese board was a taste sensation (downside I had to share it)

Nick and the team were their usual attentive and knowledgeable selves. They were quick to sort out a replacement amuse bouche when I mentioned a food allergy I have.

Four of our party of six had not been to corin before but were very quick to work out when they will be visiting again. As for myself and hubby we will be back in March, April, May ......

Long may this excellent restaurant continue and thrive (but not too well as I like to get my bookings in)

Well done Corin x

3 Thank Cjonty
belfast
“food and service had an off night”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We were invited by friends for dinner to Corin where they had previously been impressed.

Far from loving the place as we had hoped, we were surprised by the poor sevice to start and then the disappointing food.

As guests we did not want to make a scene and complain too much but after getting barely luke warm scallops we finally did complain about the cold duck which they did acknowledge and take back and re heat.

The venison was a little tough but flavoursome, but really the service was the main let down.

Ordering wines that were at the higher end of the range I was surprised to find they were opened away from the table and just placed at the end of the table without the servers offering for us to taste them, and mostly we had to pour ourselves.

When clearing the plates i was surprised they pilled them up in front of me before taking them away.

The way the staff all gathered in the bar area talking so that the only way to get their attention was to walk up and ask them for another bottle of wine was surprising.

On the positive side the cheese board was impressive, bit I was hoping for more than just that.

I am a bit scared about writing this report as I am not an English scholar , I already know the grammar could be better. I did not realise it was part of the criteria for being able to attend the restaurant, but it does seem if you write a complaint you are likely to get the rant of the owner. Sometime you just need to take critiscism on the chin and move on.

I realise the owner was absent that night, so perhaps it is just a little hit and miss.

Anyway I hope this review is taken as constructive critisism, I am not sure that that has happened before. Bangor needs some other good restaurants, and hopefully this can be one.

If I am allowed to return and don't get banned for simply airing my thoughts, I will happily give this restaurant a second chance.

• Visited January 2014
9 Thank belfast_andrew
Philip M, Owner at Corin on Mainstreet, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Andrew, firstly thank you very much for taking the time to post a very constructive review which I really appreciate.You will have read my replies to other complainants but mistakenly you form the viewpoint that I am unable to take criticsm but that is simply not true. Believe it or not I happen to be my own worst critic but my gripe is only with people who want to be destructive and in my opinion they offer nothing of any use hence my attempts to use humour in my replies as actually I dont really take them very seriously.

Constructive critical comments are I believe essesntial as it helps one learn from making mistakes and improving service as a result. I would ask you to read this reply in conjunction with my reply to the previous reviewer as the issues are similar.

I believe everything you say and apologise to you without reservation. I have been ill for the past 2 weeks and not in the restaurant and it would seem that standards have fallen and for that I am truly sorry. As a result of your review and the one immediately preceeding it I plan to make fundamental changes to the service in Corin to eradicate the problems you highlight and in additional I will be organising this week specific training for my service team to address all of the issues you highlight and more as I want these things to be something that do not occur again.

If you do decide to return (and indeed will be most welcome) please arrange to attend when I am on duty and I will personally ensure that all your expectatios are met. Thank you again for your time and your comments and I can assure you that we will respond accordingly. Best wishes
“Hot & Cold ”
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

Booked through email, got confirmation back yet when we arrived we where not booked in! This also seemed to be the case for 2 ladies seated beside us.
The restaurant was lovely and warm and lucky we got seated as it filled up within the hour!
Wine list is a lot of reading, can't fault my wine and not overly priced at all.
The waitress offered complimentary chilli bread, sounded lovely but maybe the basket should have been replenished before offering as it was the tail ends of the batch.
The 2 course menu we opted for, both having starters which incurred a supplement, whilst both tasty it does not justify the price as 2 bites and my single langoustine was gone.
My main course of duck was served 3 temperatures on the plate, roasting mash, warm duck and cool purée, served on a cool plate, my dining partners steak (supplement) was cooked perfect but the steak itself was a bit tough.
I would have loved vinegar for his chips but we where not checked through any course!
Nice touches with the sorbet etc and although I enjoy a break between courses it was a lengthy wait for the main course with no interaction from the waiting staff for top ups of drink.
At over £100 for the meal with the supplements I don't think I would rush back but I never say never.
Embarrassing situation,the card machine was not working either so cash it was, a plus on my side as other half ended up paying.
Fortunately or unfortunately for us the famous Philip was nowhere to be seen but I look forward to his reply to my honest review.

1 Thank Leigh G
Thank you Leigh for an honest review which deserves an honest reply. Firstly I believe everything you say and therefore I apologise unreservedly for the disappointing experience you had in Corin. You dont say but I suspect this is your first visit and hopefully following this reply you will give us another chance.

I have been ill for the past 2 weeks so havent been around and it looks like it shows so I will be taking steps to address your particular issues of concern. After I read your review last night I contacted both the duty manager and chef to get their input as I wasnt there on the night you attended. While this does not excuse what happened there are some points that I need to clarify which may well partly mitigate your concerns.

I am directly inolved in the design of all the menus and I know that 3 langoustines constitute one starter portion and my chef confirms that is the case and if they are small 4 are served. The card machine failed us on 3 successive nights of which I worked 2 so I know how the dynamics of service can be adversely affected by this type of malfunction. On the night you attended when I wasnt there one member of staff spent almost 2 hours trying to rectify the machine malfunction by resetting the machine, trouble shooting, calling the help line but all to no avail. As a result the service team was reduced by 25% and possibly had an impact on your service. I repeat that is no excuse merely an explanation of how events came together.

As I have repeatedly said this type of constructive criticism is most welcome as it allows us to identify failings and correct them and therefore changes have and are going to be made as a consequence of your review and indeed the one posted immediately after yours. Firstly the card machine has been replaced so fingers crossed that was a one off.Secondly I will be changing the entire service arrangement with effect from next week once additional training to all service staff has been provided to ensure this type of sloppy service no longer occurs.

I thank you for your honesty, I apologise for us failing you and am personally very disappointed at my team as I know they are dedicated and attentive and on this occasion their eye was definitely off the ball. I would like to try and rectify this for you so if you could call in some day to meet me I should be able do something for you in that regard. I usually am in the kitchen all day thurs preparing various food items and am on service Thurs/Fri or Fri/sat nights most weeks. Calling in between 5 and 6 is ideal and I hope to meet you very soon. In the meantime please accept my unreserved apology.