“A Faultless Evening!!”

Belfast, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Faultless Evening!!”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I had a superb evening at Corin on the 8th April. As this was their first birthday event a special 7 course tasting menu with wine pairing was on offer! The food was stunning, each course was a joy to eat. The presentation was modern and clean but not over complicated and pretentious. As part of the meal we had 5 different wines, each came with a friendly introduction from the distributor who was acting sommelier for the evening. The wines themselves complimented the food perfectly and were generously topped up by the waiting staff on number occasions. So your probably thinking great food and plenty of wine equals extortionate price.. Wrong! £55 for the entire experience was in my opinion exceptional value for money! Phillip the owner was a warm host who couldn't have done enough for us. He ensured service ran smoothly and when you have a full restaurant all being served at once this is no mean feat! Plaudits must be given to the waitresses who were diligent and friendly even while running a busy service. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone and I hope last night was the first of many visits to Corin.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank SDL6991

Belfast
“The best vegetarian’s restaurant in Bangor?”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Well not quite as the menu certainly will appeal to the more carnivorous, but after the disappointment of nearby Gringos closing, we decided to venture forth and try out the much talked about Corin restaurant for a special night out for two. The now part time Big Doctor greeted us and led us to the table in the middle of his busy and attractive restaurant. Later he was to reveal why he was so delighted to know we are both vegetarian. Our host offered us the great menu and it did not take long to entertain my taste buds both through the lovely spicy soup offered as an amuse bouche, and the prospect of my favourite dinner- pie and chips! But, before that, the first course. For me the wonderfully crisped (Jerusalem?) artichoke fritters and for she, a fresh pea risotto. Both smashing! A dainty sorbet next and then onto the Moroccan spiced pie. Now I do love pie and I do love spice and this worked just brilliantly, and in no way could it be described as a small plate of food especially with a bowl of healthy sized chips and crisp greens alongside. From the other side of the table there were happy sounds of a lovely woman eating up her great big plate of parmesan risotto. Onto dessert, and as much as I wished for the cheese, the straining belly only had enough room for the Assiette D’ananas (pineapple to plebs like me) and for her, the Tarte Tatin. Very satisfied, especially after trying the Fermanagh beer (yes Fermanagh) and a lovely Rioja we were pleased to learn that the owner’s wife is also vegetarian. So an ‘excuse me’ menu add on of a pasta bake was never going to meet the high domestic standards. An evening finished off by a glass of the lovely Sweet Agnes desert wine; off we rolled happily to the taxi so pleased to have found a special local restaurant to which we will return soon.

2 Thank Carnalea
Downpatrick
“Utterly stunning”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

1st time in Corin. Totally orgasmic meal. Amuse Bouche of French onion soup, I had the quail cooked 3 ways probably the best starter I've ever eaten. Passion fruit sorbet then we opted for brill and sea bass. I was advised the soufflé would take 1/2 hour which I was completely ok with. The lovely staff kept apologising for the wait and even offered us complimentary tea or coffee to make up for the wait, don't know why it really only did take the 1/2 hour. It was worth waiting on like eating an intensely rich chocolate cloud. My husband had the cheese board which he thought was the best cheese board ever. If you are a foodie througherly recommend you try this restaurant.

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Overpriced for midweek outing”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My sister and I like to meet over a reasonably casual midweek meal in Belfast, Holywood or occasionally Bangor. We decided to try Corin as we knew you did not need to advance book on Tuesdays and I hadn't been there before. I'm sure the weekend experience when the restaurant is full and buzzing perhaps is somewhat different, but in this case we were the first people in, and there were not more than one or two other tables filled the whole time we were there- it felt to me like sitting in a rather uninspiring shop or cafe. I was disappointed to then find that it seemed you could only plump for either a '2 course' or '3 course' menu selection- there seemed to be no option to just have one course. The 2 course was £26.50. I live in Belfast and eat out all the time, and I thought this way overpriced compared with the value in town, most restaurants (even the really good ones) there having either 'pre-theatre' or 'early bird' menus for about half that. Then- to really stick the boot in- on what was a very small menu of both mains and starters, I'd say at least 75% of these all had hefty supplements on top. Well! We plumped for the few choices that didn't have supplements, this was just a midweek girls' meal. I couldn't fault the food, it was very good, nor the service, just the price. I'm left thinking that people who think this is good value must only go out at weekends or on birthdays. That would explain why it was almost empty. This place needs a much better value midweek menu to attract those of us who don't just eat out on special occasions, but regularly- meanwhile, I'll stick with Belfast!

• Visited February 2014
4 Thank Moira670
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Top Class!”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I do not usually leave reviews, this is my first as i felt the need to share how good this place is!

From initial contact to make the booking through the whole process to paying the bill this was a pleasant experience throughout. Patient, very helpful and understanding, especially with me not knowing what cake to order and changing the booking several times – that’s the owner Philip and Nick who was unfortunate enough to get me on the phone several times. Then the staff on the night… lovely, friendly and professional, perfect mix and balance, helped make it a perfect night, along with Philip, who I met on the night, he was genuinely most welcoming, friendly and very kind – an opinion that echoed through our group.

The venue itself was very nice, great atmosphere, warm with a nice décor and spotless. The menu also great, with 9 in our party all easily finding something to their taste, most of us struggling to choose as so much of the menu sounded appealing. The food was beautiful, full of flavour, the nicest meal I have had the pleasure of enjoying when dining out, full of flavour, lovely presentation, with the complimentary breads and amuse being very tasty, everyone in our party had the same opinion. Beautiful chocolates served with the coffee, another special touch. I found the staff attentive without making us feel rushed at any time and we did take our time!

Yes, this is not the cheapest place in Bangor to eat however for the quality of the food and the service, Corin is great value for money, you cannot compare the prices to pub grub when the food and service is a completely different level. Add on the extra touches and complimentary extras the pricing is more that reasonable! Top class. This was a birthday surprise and I owe thanks to Philip and his team for making it perfect. I think when you have 9 people with different personalities and tastes all leaving a restaurant really impressed with both the food and service, that says something! A special night, real treat and we will be back every chance we get.