“lovely gym, fab pool!”
Review of Bangor Aurora

Bangor Aurora
More attraction details
Owner description: Bangor Aurora Aquatic & Leisure Complex houses Northern Ireland's only 50m Olympic swimming pool. We have a range of indoor activities including swimming, health & fitness suite, soft play and a sports hall. We cater for all sports and have regular family activities. You can book your child into our various sports schemes - run throughout the year - but primarily at Easter, Summer and Half Terms. Plus you can book online for our new Aqua Challenge!
Reviewed 1 November 2013

my only criticism would be that it would be nice to see the 50m pool open more often to the public! really lovely gym, friendly and helpful staff as well as clean and tidy facilities. great!

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"rainy day"
"love this place"

Reviewed 23 October 2013

The instructor was brilliant but the reception staff aren't that friendly or helpful. None of the vending machines for drinks would work and the studio had no air conditioning, which isn't good for an exercise class!

1  Thank Kerry W
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Really lovely pools - water a little bit cold for my taste, but fine for serious swimmers. Lots of activities going on in the various studios, and special rates for local residents. Altogether a really worthwhile place to spend an afternoon. The little coffee shop,is bright and cheerful, too.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

This review is mostly for the swimming pools.

I'll begin with the positives.
- Pools are clean
- Plenty of friendly staff that know what they're doing
- Large pools
- Cheap, even cheaper if you're local

Negatives:
- They STILL have unisex changing areas!
- No room in the private showers to keep your things dry if you want a proper shower, as opposed to just a rinse.

A new leisure centre is nice and refreshing, it gives you a feel good factor and you will more than likely return. If you live near, get yourself a free membership card which gives you reduced fees for most things (check their website).

We usually go around 6 or 7pm, so I'm not sure what it's like at peak times. At these times, its only slightly busy, as the families with younger children are headed home. In general, the pool is neither loud nor quiet, it's just nice. You can get into a lane and take your time swimming if you fancy it, no pressure.

Only thing is, the deeper pool is 2m deep, and although some people are more than comfortable with this depth, if you can't reach the bottom it can be scary, I guess. The other two main pools are just too shallow if you want to opt out of the slightly "too deep" pool. I'm yet to see the diving pool being open.

You can stay for as long as you like, but when you leave, you share changing areas with the opposite sex. On my own, I wouldn't be comfortable with that at all, I guess it's a personal thing. But when I'm with people, I don't mind.

When I'm finished swimming, I like to have a good proper shower so that I can get the smell and feel of the chemicals off me. There are a few cramped cubicles with showers in them and a locking door, but if you go in with your bag or towel, they usually get splashed. Easy problem to solve if they just put a curtain up so you can protect your things. I've used the gym facilities, and if only they'd made separate changing rooms like in the gym, it would be great.

But for only a few £, the pool is definitely worth it, the negative reviews aren't massive compared to the positives.