“Super slide!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bangor Aurora

Bangor Aurora
Ranked #1 of 8 Fun & Games in Bangor
More attraction details
Owner description: Bangor Aurora Aquatic & Leisure Complex houses Northern Ireland's only 50m Olympic swimming pool. We have a range of indoor activities including swimming, health & fitness suite, soft play and a sports hall. We cater for all sports and have regular family activities. You can book your child into our various sports schemes - run throughout the year - but primarily at Easter, Summer and Half Terms. Plus you can book online for our new Aqua Challenge!
armagh
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Super slide!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Went to Aurora y'day with a 9 & 12 yr old & my partner.....my son could not get enough of the ringslide which was fab....both flumes very good with a really good/safe delay between people. Wave machine alright but would prefer lazypool ala lisburn. It is less busy & air warmer than lisburn. It is very clean- changing/showers & variety of cubicles or open showering.

1 Thank numptycoach

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Could be so much better.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I live near here and have visited a number of times. It's only just up about a year and a half so very fresh and modern. The main (swimming) pool looks amazing but i've never used it, nor have i ever seen it in the same configuration twice (the size and depth can be changed) so i would suggest it might be worth confirming by telephone if you want a particular type of swim. My review is about the Leisure pool. As i said i live near here and like most locals saw the plans before building began. I said then that they had missed the boat for the leisure pool and i stand by that. I had been to Lisburn Leisureplex many times, and what Bangor were doing was considerably smaller, with less slides and less variety, no question. Why a council would build a Flagship attraction and not make it better than the competition, which is only 45 minutes away, is beyond me. The wave pool is good but far too small, if there's more than 50 - 70 people in it it's too crowded, and this goes for the whole place. There is a very good splash area for the wee kids, and big kids! although on my last visit most of the fountain controls didn't seem to do anything, the big tipping bucket is good though. Maybe a service would sort the rest. There are two long flume type slides, which are very good, but only two, with consequent queues at busy times. There are also three short straight, racetrack type slides but if you're over 12 you're feet are almost at the bottom before you're head's left the top! Too short by far. They seemed to have put all the budget into an, admittedly impressive looking, half pipe type slide which you go down in an inflable tube. It is very good but 3 or 4 goes is enough. There's a little pirate ship thing with squirty cannons for the tinies too. The grounds of the place are huge and beautifully landscaped, i don't understand why they couldn't have run maybe a couple of flumes out through the side wall and back in again, or even in over the main swimming pool. I can only assume that the designer was given his brief by someone who never uses a leisure pool. As i say the main swimming pool is state of the art, and the gym facilities are very impressive too. My understanding is that it was built for the Olympics but this might be wrong. They've certainly put an awful lot of money into the swimming/gym facility. Externally it's visually amazing, and with a beautiful walled garden and super modern playing pitches. But for a Leisure pool, Lisburn has it beaten hands down for my money, especially if your kids are over 10. The only caveat to this is Lisburn is getting a bit shabby, and if it's busy the changing village can smell a bit, but there's just so much more to do. It's usually busier, but, when i bring the kids to Lisburn, after an hour and a half they don't want to leave. At Bangor they're asking for a kfc before an hour's up! It is good but there's better available not too far away. DIsappointed NDBC!

2 Thank hupyaboyya
Coventry, United Kingdom
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Fanatastic especially for rainy days”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

We spent three hours here for the £20 charge and could have spent even longer. You have a water park with slides and wave machine. Plus access to swimming pools to play or do some serious swimming.

2 Thank Neal M
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Family day out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Recently visited this place compared to the one in lisburn its less bunged and very well laid out. The wave machine is awesome and the kids loved it. Would definitely go back.

Visited July 2014
Belfast, United Kingdom
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Complete disappointment!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Was really looking forward to seeing the new centre and finally got a chance to take the kids swimming. Was annoyed straight away to find we had to pay extra to use both pools!
We decided for this time we would go ahead and just use the normal swimming pool.
Second thing that really annoyed us was the fact that the water was absolutely freezing. If I wanted to swim in cold water I would not pay to go to a pool....I would simply go and swim in the sea! Then to make things worse we were confined to the kids pool which was waist height as the main pool was sectioned off for lane swimmers (all 3 of them!!) with a sign stating 'no non-swimmers' in the remaining part of the pool.
This meant that as I had a non-swimming child with me I could not go in any other pool and had to pretty much freeze throughout.
20-30 mins into our session we were then told to get out of the pool as the diving pool was being closed and the pool arrangement was changing causing more time mucking around than anything else.
If we had have known that 75% of the pool(s) were not accessible because of classes/lanes being used then we would not have went. We should have been informed of this at reception when paying!
Seems to be more about how everything looks than how practical it is!
Great pool for a serious swimmer only interested in doing lengths......but as a family we were disappointed.
Definitely preferred the old leisure centre although the pool there was also usually closed to accommodate classes with less time available for the public.

Visited July 2014