“Best fish dish ever!”

Dining options: Reservations
Bangor
“Best fish dish ever!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband and I decided to eat out on the spur of the moment and quite late - 7.45pm. We were greeted warmly and assured that food was still available. I opted for a main course from the 2 course special menu which presented no problem. I chose oven baked smoked haddock with champ and could not believe the quality of the dish I got. Generous portion of fish that was incredible - it just melted in my mouth and the flavour was great. I finished every bit and hope that my praise was conveyed to the chef. This is a friendly local pub with a warm welcome and great food at a great price.

• Visited May 2014

Bangor
“Sunday lunch”
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Called in with wife and 3 yr old in tow for Sunday lunch. Great choice from main menu and kids menu as well as a number of specials and a sunday dinner menu. 2 course dinner for £12.95. I went for roast beef and a huge portion came with 3 big thick slices of beef covered in gravy with a huge Yorkshire pudding and 2 big roast potatoes. Then came mash potatoes on the side and mixed veg. It was delicious and the Turkish delight cheesecake to finish was also good. Bargain at that price. The wife had enchiladas and it was big portion and 3 yo had lovel chicken nuggets and chips followed by ice cream. Definitely worth a visit but make sure you are hungry!

“Great food”
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Just attended the Esplanade on Friday night with a group of friends being 30 in total. Cant praise the place highly enough. The food was excellent and the service and courtesy of the staff was second to none. A great place in a great location too. Make a point of checking it out for yourselves!

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Undercooked fish”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My wife and I went here on a groupon. We travelled up to Bangor from Belfast for lunch. Really had a bad experience. The food was tasteless. The fish seemed undercooked. I think it may have been frozen fish. The worst fish I have ever had. When the waiter asked if our meal had been ok i told him that the fish seemed undercooked. His reply was that nobody else had complained. It was tasteless and watery, Awful. Why serve food like this? You have a lovely setting. You could do much better. When we tried to pay we were standing at the bar for approx 10 minutes calling behind the bar trying to get someone to settle the tea that we had bought. Not a good experience at all. Sorry Esplanade. We wont be rushing back.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Bobs725
bangor
“Mushy peas!mushy batter!”
Reviewed 13 February 2014

There is just no excuse for heavy wet batter and overlooked fish regardless of the price!Lunch on a groupon deal and so disappointing.Why do restaurants have deals to attract new business and then serve up rubbish food which guarantees the customer will never go back.I always judge a meal on the "Could I do better",you bet I could.Fish and chips with the fish placed on the wet mushy peas,what a mess,the batter was as thick as the overcooked possibly frozen fish and the flavour resembled cardboard,not good in anyone's book.Sorry esplanade this will be the last time I give you the opportunity to feed me.

• Visited February 2014