“A Special Place”

Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We have visited Sutton Hall many times over the last few years For birthdays Christmas meals and as a couple for a relaxing afternoon It's absolutely stunning. This visit the sun was shining so we sat outside in the lovely garden enjoying the afternoon. I'm sorry on this occasion to only give 3 Stars Please pull your socks up. service was slow with some staff looking lost. Learn your table numbers to avoid walking around asking Is this your meal! I hope never to take Sutton Hall off my favourites list but you need to take a grip....

There are newer reviews for Sutton Hall

Reviewed 7 July 2014

A group of twelve meeting up after long absence,two American,so the careful restoration into a drinking and eating place was much admired.The surrounding,inside and out,terraces and gardens outside,and old-world interior very relaxing and stylish.The place operates as a pub(with very good traditional ales and beers, and a friendly'local' atmosphere.PS you can take your dog!) but also with a (slightly)more formal dining area.The young staff are very efficient and pleasant,so service is good.
A good comprehensive menu is offered to suit all tastes(and pockets)of good quality from pub-style(fish and chips,fish pie,sausage and mash etc) up to more elaborate dishes.As a group of ten we had a selection of starters to share,very good scollops,mushrooms,variety of pate and meats etc.
Mains of reasonable size varied from veggie Thai curry.to fish and steaks;all good.
the place is of good size;it is an ex-manor house!,so tables well spaced and roomy,and no rush to see us on our way.
Very enjoyable.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We ate here last Sunday and my fella had the roast beef which was simply to die for. Copious amounts of meat and the Yorkshire pudding was gorgeous. I have a recent intoleance to dairy and the waitress was so accomodating in going through the menu, speaking to the kitchen and getting an option for me. I ended up with the butternut and roasted red pepper felafels with salad and they were lovely, only for a main meal you get three tiny balls, which I thought was a little dear at £9.75, I couldnt have the yoghurt based dip and it wasnt substitued. but thats just my opinion.
Great service, fab setting. Will definitely come again.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Not sure the wait was worth it to be honest. I felt the portions were smaller and the prices had increased since our last visit in March. We put our orders in around 1 o'clock and it was not much before ten to two that we were served. Although the food was excellent as usual, no complaints there just that the portions were disappointing.... we had all finished our meals and had to chase a waiter to take our orders for deserts.

I hope this otherwise great venue is not on the decline perhaps it was just a one off! I'll be back in October ... time enough for improvement... could do better

Reviewed 28 June 2014

What's going on?
Invited friends for lunch to celebrate my wife's birthday. It was their first visit and were impressed with the beautiful building. All placed our orders at about 14.20 and realised at 15.00 that there was no food forthcoming!!
At that exact time the waiter appeared informing us that our order had been lost and had to retake it! After waiting another 20 minutes, asked to see the manager who appeared after we had eventually been served and eaten our reasonably good food. Ideally, felt we should have been offered a drink whilst waiting for our lunch to be served but we were offered one once we had finished, which we declined. Our original drinks order was removed from the bill.( thank you)
To summarize, great location, nice food, polite but sloppy service