“Best place to stay in MACC”

Travelodge Macclesfield Central
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Macclesfield
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I stayed in Travelodge for a month during my business trip to Macclesfield (MACC). I checked around the area before selecting Macclesfield Central and it was indeed a good decision.

Service - staff is very friendly and will always be there to help you out. Richard, the hotel manager and Donna, were very helpful and was always there to sort out the issues. Staff work in shifts so if you speak with someone in the morning, there are high chances that you will find a different person over the counter in the evening.

Property and Security - rooms are very clean. Before traveling I read through the tripadvisor reviews and hotel website, where I read that they were under renovation for couple of weeks. Im happy with what they did with the rooms. To access your room, you have to use the access key to enter the floor as well, which is pretty good. Both the elevators stops at reception all the time. In a way its good as staff would know as who is coming in and going out. But sometimes, its annoying as it takes lot of time to close and open the doors. So I used to catch the elevator from reception. There is a CCTV camera outside the hotel entrance. So its very safe to stand outside and smoke (if you are a smoker, as hotel is stricktly no-smoking zone) or get into a conversation with your friend. Auto doors at the entrance closes at 10 PM. You can either use your room key to access the door or call the reception by pressing CALL button and they will be happy to help you out.

Rooms - was cleaned everyday. Coffee/tea maker, hangers, beer bottle opener, toiletries. For travelers flying from outside UK, you can request for a multi region converter which is available at the reception.

Travel around - Hotel is right opposite to Macclesfield train station. So if you want to catch a train ride to London or Manchester, you just have to cross the road and buy your tickets. Hotel is also very close to Macclesfield bus stand, which is 5-10 minutes walk. You can take day/weekly pass and get unlimited rides. Towns like Buxton, Manchester, Crewe, Hurtsford, Knutsford are very well connected. You have to buy the tickets in the bus when you start your ride. If you buy pass, you can also go to Manchester. Check for details at the bus stand, as there is limited service on weekends.

Eating out - close to Restaurants, Lounges and Bars - most of the happening bars (Revolution, Ronnie, Tonic, Rin Tiki Bar) are10 minutes away. So are the restaurants. There are two pubs very close to the hotel. One with Rock banks performing live on weekends and the other with sports channels for all EPL games. There is a Subway opposite to the bus stand.

Shopping & Finance - Very close to Market Place. 5-10 minutes walk to cafes and shops to spend your time walking around, shopping over the weekend. Shops closes at around 6 in the evening. There is a TESCO store near the Market Place. Many banks and ATMs are around.

Some of the points where I think the hotel needs improvements or which annoyed me a bit,
- Sometimes it was difficult to follow up because of shift change. Please keep the reservation office/customer care number handy with you as for some of the issues, you will be asked to contact them. I had to shorten my trip and hence requested one of the reception staff member to make the changes in the system. She said that I have to call the reservation office as hotel staff do not have access to make required changes in the reservations. What ? Really ? So, I called up the reservation office and burned my pounds calling them to know that the hotel reception can make the changes. So next time, I spoke with Richard and he was very prompt to change the dates and instantly provide me with card refund slip.
- Keep your key away from your phone as the data in the magnetic strip gets wiped out. It happened with me number of times, when I had to go all the way to reception from 4th Floor access to get it activated.
- Rooms do not have an intercom so if you want to speak to the reception, you have to go all the way down.

Room Tip: For long trip, please request for rooms in upper floors and on the back side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I have stayed here a couple of times. Eveything's good except the lift - cramped small lift that stops at the first floor reception unnecessarily every time you use it and takes it's own sweet time to close. If you're in a hurry, it would take you 5 to 10 mins to get you to your room from the entrance.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner booked the travelodge at short notice as a place to stay after my friend's 25th Birthday. It was £24 for a night! Bargain! We spent very little time in the room but it was warm and clean, the bed was comfy, the bathroom was reasonably well equipped and the lodge itself was modern and new. It was also helpfully situated slap bang in the middle of town. Excellent for the price.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We have stayed at the Macclesfeild Central three times and each time have been impressed by the standard and the service. We usually surprise staff by asking for a room overlooking the Railway Station so that my husband can relive his boyhood days train spotting nearby. The new beds are excellent and everything is clean and well looked after. We would particularly like to commend Donna who could not do enough to amke our stay a very pleasant one.

Room Tip: If you've nejoyed a particlar room in the past, don't be afraid to ask for it the next time!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We only stayed here for one night and it was because it was £37 cheaper than Premier Inn. I was a bit worried at first but we were very pleasantly surprised. The staff were very friendly and welcoming from the moment we arrived. There was one lady in particular who was very pleasant and I wish I remembered her name (blonde hair and Liverpool accent - if that helps?) as she was fantastic.
Our room was lovely and although basic (bed, wardrobe, flat screen tv, dressing table, kettle with tea, coffee etc) it had everything we needed and there was no need for anything else.
All in all a fantastic hotel which we will definitely be using again.
May I also add that the pillows are lovely and the shower was so powerful it nearly knocked me off of my feet (that's a good thing and it CAN be turned down).

Room Tip: This hotel is near a rail station and although the train noise didn't affect us you may want to...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here a lot just recently and it is a great place to stay. Most of the staff are friendly and very helpful although Donna is a cut above the rest we cannot fault her.
The only fault is if you stay for more than few days you have to request for your room to be cleaned which is probs the only downside to the hotel. An on site restaurant would make a difference. Would highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We always use Travelodge when we can and stayed here for two nights visiting family. The hotel was one of the newly refurbished ones so the decor throughout was clean and smart. Staff are very friendly.
We both have bad backs and the reason we try to always find a Travelodge is that we know we will find the beds comfortable, so, having been told by the Receptionist that this Travelodge had spent a thousand pounds on every new bed we were quite excited to try it out.....
I'm sorry Travelodge, we love you, but we could not sleep in your new bed, its far too hard, like sleeping on the floor, and the lovely looking new pillows are overstuffed so there is no 'give' in them. We ended up putting the pillows under the bottom sheet to create a 'topper' on the mattress so we could get a few pain free hours....not a good experience and in future we'll have to book a Travelodge that has not been refurbished until they all have been, and then we'll have to change our allegiance to another brand!
There was another negative too, I'd forgotten my hairdryer and was given one at Reception. Two problems here, one is that the hairdryer was poor quality and didn't get really hot but the worst problem was that you cannot find a socket adjacent to a mirror! The dryer has a short flex so if you plug it in by the kettle socket you have to kneel down to use it and, by leaning over, use the mirror which is on the opposite wall next to the hanging space! There is another socket by the wall heater but no mirror available, (I should mention that I usually bring my own hairdryer which has a very long flex). Many years ago when I used to work in the hotel industry, reception, sales and marketing staff were required to stay overnight as often as practical in different rooms so we gained full product knowledge and could also test the facilites and services. Its amazing how many sticking windows, unreachable sockets, kettles that cannot be filled at the wash basin, lack of hanging hooks, inaccessable mirrors, dripping taps, too hot radiators and unacceptable noise levels we were able to report!
I wish they had spent some of the thousand pounds that went on a bed too hard to sleep on, on fixing some of the smaller details like having better hairdryers, checking that there is a socket next to the mirror so the drier can be used safely, and maybe providing bigger, better quality towels, and for two people when two people have booked a room (I know one set of towels is standard but not finding this out until dripping from the shower is annoying, (there is no telephone to request more, you have to dress and go down to Reception), you know how many occupants there are, its required on the booking form!)
So, unusually for me to moan about Travelodge but we had two sleepless nights, couldn't dry my hair properly because an idiot designed the room layout. Our stay made us tired and grumpy...a thousand pounds on a bed........its impressive but only if its an improvement!

PS: The best restaurant we found was Lazeez a fabulous indian restaurant with amazing cocktails, superb food....seriously not to be missed.

Room Tip: Don't forget your own hairdryer and make sure it has a long flex! On arrival in your room check...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Macclesfield
Travelodge Macclesfield Adlington
#1 of 2 in Prestbury
Mottram Hall
Mottram Hall
#1 of 1 in Mottram St. Andrew

Been to Travelodge Macclesfield Central? Share your experiences!