“Good base” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Macclesfield
portsmoouth UK
“Good base”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here at the weekend. A quick visit up north. Found it easily enough. Managed to park right outside where parking was free after 6 and as it was Saturday we didn't need to worry about moving it by 8am as Sundays were free.
We had two family rooms as they don't take more than 4. I booked in jan and rang to request rooms together as my son has special needs. Not sure why, if you have two rooms on one booking you are not automatically given that. Was assured all would be fine. Arrived to a very welcoming helpful lady to be told rooms were on different floors! I explained we needed two adults near to each other. She very helpfully put us on the sake floor but four rooms apart. Not a deal breaker but when I had gone out of my way to ring ahead quite a way before our stay and explain it was not great.
Rooms were fine. Spacious. My son enjoyed watching the trains go by. I didn't find it overly noisy. Bathroom was good although we didn't bring any shower gel as web site said all was provided. Assumed it was that. No shower gel and a small bar of soap. Tesco was nearby but by then kids were shattered after long drive so we left it.
I found the new beds everyone raved about very uncomfortable! My partner in the other room did too. Slept badly but again not a huge deal breaker when noisy kids up early anyway! We also paid £24 a room so great value.
All in all it did what we wanted. A cheap overnight stay for 5. Would use again.

Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Chester Uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Normally stay in Premier Inns, but the weekend we had chosen the price had gone up considerably, we chose this Travelodge as was near to swimming pool for my daughters competition.

We booked about 6 weeks in advance and had a rate of £24 for the family room for 1 night, good price, I rang a week before our stay to ensure we had a quiet room, as we needed to get to sleep early and wake early as we had to be at swimming pool for 8am and the clocks went forward, the receptionist said he would make sure this was granted.

Upon arrival I was dismayed to see a huge and extremely loud funfair right outside the hotel, taking over the carpark. I found a 30min space for my car and entered the hotel. Nobody was on reception so I rang the bell, man came very quickly and greeted me very warmly, we couldn't hear ourselves speak over the noise of the fair, we had been allocated a family room on the groundfloor at the front of the hotel, it was very noisy and so close to the fair that if I had put my head out of the window I would have been able to take a ride on the fair without stepping outside, the receptionist said he could offer us a smaller double room at the rear of the hotel that may be quieter, I had a look, although I could still hear the thumping of the music, it was quieter. I was very annoyed that nobody had bothered to contact me and explain that the fair was outside, ( I had stayed in local Premier Inn in January, they were having refurbishments, and had rang 2 weeks previously to explain and offer me a change of hotel or refund) I would have thought that Travelodge would have been courteous enough to have given a phone call to explain the situation and given me an option to change hotel or cancel. We returned to hotel at 6.30pm and endured the thumping sound from fairground until 9.30pm, friends who were also staying at the hotel had the misfortune of sleeping in the front and said it was awful.

I took the offer of the rear room, which was very dismal in colour and appearance, the window looked out onto what I can only describe as a drugs den, rubbish, beer bottles/cans etc, not very nice, and as the room felt warm during the night, we had to open the window and didn't feel 100% safe doing so.

ROOM: Adequate size for 2 people, receptionist had moved a camp bed for my daughter, so hard that the floor would have been just as comfortable.... receptionist did bring lots of extra duvets to cover the mattress and was very accommodating. Comfortable double bed, clean bedding, small wall mounted tv, (this wasn't working upon arrival, but technician soon fixed the problem), table/chair, lighting was very poor, either too dull or torch lights by the bed. Tea/coffee facilities, wall mounted heater.

BATHROOM: Very clean, hot power shower, soap and towels included, .

No restaurant facilities, which we knew before we booked.

Carpark outside which was unusable due to fairground, so had to park in pub on corner.

Although the receptionist were all very nice and helpful, I wouldn't stay at this hotel again, I know its not the hotels fault about the fairground and they were apologetic, the area was quite a rough area and a few shady characters were loitering around the hotel, even in the morning we encounterd a drunk/drugged woman who was shouting and threatening Mr Invisable, saying she was going to stab him!!!! Sorry Travelodge but we will be spending the extra few pounds for a more comfortable and safer feel stay at a Premier Inn.

Room Tip: Go to Premier Inn!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank NessChesterUK
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Spotlessly clean, comfortable with helpful staff. I will definitely book this accommodation next time I am in the area. The bed was extremely comfortable and the towels and linen were laundered to perfection. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank HJF120963
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Right by the station, parking round the corner. Very clean, looks good inside and out. Great pillows and large family room. Good single comfy beds for the kids with space to walk around. Very little noise from trains outside, in fact quite nice to hear and see for the kids.. Something to watch. Great stay, can't fault. Shame no free wifi.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Swimfamily2014
Worthing, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed here on a Saturday night a couples week ago before heading back down south. Was a good location and friendly staff.Had a nice size room as well and a good sleep. I wish Travelodge offered free WiFi in the rooms as sometimes 3G signal can get low.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Barry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

A great location conveniently near to the station, with clean rooms, in a modern building. The reception staff were very helpful and friendly (I had left my phone charger at home and they had a box of left behind ones to rescue me!.
Just wish Travelodge would offer free WiFi

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Andy G
Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

From the second we arrived we were in professional, friendly hands. Donna deserves every credit for this; nothing was too much trouble for her. Our room was warm, quiet and the bed was just so amazing.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Also consider these accommodations in or near Macclesfield
Premier Inn Macclesfield North Hotel
Mottram Hall
Mottram Hall
#1 of 1 in Mottram St. Andrew
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,394 reviews

Been to Travelodge Macclesfield Central? Share your experiences!