“Great birthday treat with the family”
Review of Ryles Arms

Ryles Arms
Ranked #12 of 207 Restaurants in Macclesfield
Price range: US$9 - US$32
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

6 of us went to the Ryles Arms at Sutton on my birthday for a nice quiet meal and the service food and ambiance was excellent, I have to add value for money as well seeing as how the total inclusive of drinks, was less than £170???? We were lucky that we booked as well because the place was packed but there was still a great atmosphere and it didn't feel like you were sat on top of one another. Well worth a visit and we will certainly be going again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

After passing this pub for 8 years and meaning to stop I wish I hadn't bothered! We got some drinks and ordered and so far were pleased with the pub and the menu had a good choice. Our meals arrived and looked nice, after watching all the other tables been asked if their meals were ok we expected the same, this did not happen. I ordered the lamb steak and at £14 it was not the cheapest thing on the menu! The black pudding and chips that accompanied it were very nice but the lamb was very chewy and tough! By the time the waitress did come over my wife had finished and I had finished my sides. When I complained about the lamb I was told other people had enjoyed it and I should have shouted her over if I had a complaint... not that she should have asked us as she had with all the other tables after receiving our food if all was ok. When we went to pay we expressed our disappointment in the lamb and that nobody had checked if our meals were ok, as an apology they deducted the price of my coke... a whole £1.75!!! Not impressed!! As we run a local holiday park we were looking for somewhere to recommend to our customers, sadly we would not recommend nor return!

1  Thank Kitch83
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Great food , and excellent service , we will be back no doubt :) enjoyed so much have recommended to friends . Thankyou see you soon.

1  Thank Ellisnelson
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My fourth meal at the Ryles Arms, and a good experience in the main as usual. Very nice young staff, attractive dining room and tempting menu. I opted for the gammon steak which was lovely, but since my first visit I've always had a problem about potatoes at the Ryles Arms. I don't want chips or baked potato, I love new ones and asked if they were freshly cooked, was assured that they always are, from which I knew not to order them again, because I know they are not. When I told the waitress I wouldn't have any potatoes but would have the vegetables instead, she got very confused, and despite reiterating my request several times, when the gammon came, it was accompanied by chips! My friend, who had not believed my warning about the new potatoes and had ordered them, agreed with me that they were precooked! The vegetables were lovely, cooked just right and not at all soft and overcooked.

Why, if a chef can cook three vegetables to perfection, does he have to precook new potatoes? The answer must be because potatoes are included with the meal, whereas the vegetables are paid for as an extra. If you want your new potatoes precooked and then microwaved before serving, so they have hard outsides and watery middles, lovely - just not for me.

I love the food and ambience of the Ryles Arms, but always have the conundrum of what to order with the food, which really spoils the occasion for me. I'll try the salad next time, but it is very frustrating to have to pay extra for an accompaniment to the meal because the chef can't be bothered serving fresh new potatoes, which let's face it, are at their best at this time of year, and it's not as if they adjust the bill accordingly.

We all enjoyed our meals very much, everything except the potatoes was cooked to perfection, and portions were generous. The desserts were lovely. Such a pity that a tiny, simple matter of potatoes should cause so much resentment and irritation.

Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Called for tea tonight. Drove past on the sunday previous and the car park was full. So thought its gotta be good. So tonight i ordered surf and turf. And it was above what i was expecting. Service was rapid and very helpfull. Will be calling again very soon.