“Well worth the drive”

Price range: US$9 - US$32
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Ate here last night following a few recommendations; have to say it fully lived up to the reviews. I had surf and turf, wife had large cod and mother in law had plaice. My steak was as good as I have ever had and cooked blue to perfection. Wife's cod was enormous and m-in-l's was a pretty standard piece of restaurant plaice. Latter two were a bit dry but not beyond eating by any means.
Puds good, sundaes are definitely enough for two and the ice creams are local and lovely.
Staff plentiful, quick ,cheerful, well mannered and attentive. Food arrived promptly and was hot, top stuff.
Food and drink reasonably priced for what is pretty damned good pub grub. I think this will become a regular place to go.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Great staff here. They make you really welcome. Never had a bad meal here. Whatever we have tried we always enjoyed.

1  Thank Colin L
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Having never been before and heard mixed reviews I thought it was best to try it out myself!!! I also have mixed reviews,

The food is lovely and very well presented and they defiantly know how to cook a steak which is hard to find now a days!!! I had the scallops to start which were massively over priced for the very small x3 scallops I got!!! Also they were a special and you don't find the price out till you get the bill!!! But as above my steak was absolutely perfect!!! Maybe more chips needed!!! Didn't have a pudding so can't comment!!

The staff are in serious need of training!! Having a reservation I stood at the 'desk' awaiting to be acknowledged having waited 10mins my friends decided to ask at the bar what we do? To which the response was has nobody seated you?! Once eventually seated 15mins later we were offered drinks which took another 15-20 mins to come and again no waitress around to ask and if I did try and get ones attention they just carried on walking past!! Eventually our order was taken, no offer of refills on drinks or coffees after our meal!!! Service lets this place down!!! Wouldn't mind but it was not over run with customers!!!

We will not be returning or recommending this place!!!

2  Thank Julie22h
RylesManagement, Manager at Ryles Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

First let us apologise for the slack/lack of service.

THIS IS NOT OUR STANDARD!

Could you please contact us on 01260252244 ask for myself Alex or Jade the FOH manager to discuss your visit to the Ryles.

Once again our apologies as I say this is not something that should ever happen.

We would love to have you back with us, so please get in touch.

Thankyou for your feedback.

Alex

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I went on a quiet lunch with my friend and we were the first people there.
Out drinks took quite a while to arrive which was disappointing as we were the only ones there.
The food came relatively quick. I had the chicken with tomato sauce and cheese and herbs and it was a huge portion and I had no complaints however my friend had the pork with apple sauce and new potatoes. When it came there was no sauce and the new potatoes were rock hard, no way near done. When the apple sauce came, it was cold and watery. My friend asked for her potatoes to be cooked for longer and when returned they were still a little hard however they bought back a hot sauce which was much better than the first one. Overall it was good food and the portions were more than filling.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stopped at the Ryles Arms for a drink, late afternoon, on the way home from a day out with 2 kids and ordered a pint of bitter, a pint of soda water and 2 half pints of soda water with lime for the kids. We paid the bill and it wasn't until afterwards that I thought about how much we had just paid - £10.50.

The beer was £3.50 so somehow 2 pints of fizzy water (from the syphon not bottled) + 2 shots of lime cordial came to £7. So essentially 2 pints of drink that cost the pub/restaurant next to nothing cost the same price as 2 pints of beer would have that involves brewing, distribution and a hefty amount of government duties.

My wife questioned the bill and it was explained that a pint of soda water was £2.80 and a half of soda water was £1.90 + presumably the cost of the lime cordial.

Now I appreciate that there should be some charge for soda water to cover washing glasses, staff/whatever - even if the product costs the pub next to nothing. But I really hate being ripped off - and this is exactly what I feel happened here. There is no excuse for this and no defence - it is disgraceful.

Obviously I can't comment on the food and nor will I ever be able to as I won't be going back.

6  Thank davewaters