“Visit during 2017”

Jodrell Bank Discovery Centre
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Jodrell Bank Discovery Centre is best-known as the home of the world-famous Lovell Telescope -A near 90m high radio telescope that has become an iconic landmark on the Cheshire landscape. Seeing the telescope up close and in action is an exhilarating sight and the Centre's interactive displays and exhibits help explain what the telescope does and how it works. The Discovery Centre also includes a cafe and gift shop, along with 35 acres of gardens and arboretum, complete with picnic areas and playground, perfect for a family day out. You'll also find a year-round events programme including live science shows taking place during school holidays, a popular evening lecture series, and the award-winning annual festival of discovery, Bluedot.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Visit in 2017 - interactive dspalys and things to do across all age ranges. The telescopes are the central points where you can wander around through the large grounds.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,106)
All reviews
in 33 reviews
"information boards"
"packed lunch"

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Traditionally I love things like this. Massive telescope, space stuff everywhere but in all honesty there is very little here. The telescope is impressive however for the £7 entry fee there was one room with a few toy planets in it and 'science' room for kiddies...I see I'm not alone in this, considering we pay taxes for the telescope anyway!!! Outrageous price (more if you gift aid) for literally nothing you can't see from the road. I was there about 20 mins.

2  Thank The State of Ar... G
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My daughter enjoyed working the orrery, my son enjoyed the whispering dishes. What really impressed me though was the radio technology. You have to switch off your mobile phone at the perimeter, because it can interfere with the main telescope. But they have cleverly figured out how to run contactless card payments without upsetting the telescope. More to this stuff than people realise.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

£7.25 (adult) for a morning's entertainment (we were here around 3 hours) is pretty good value for a half day entertainment.
First we visited the cafe for tea and coffee, which were reasonably priced. We saw that we could have had a veggie breakfast for £7.00 too (full English also available for meat eaters), so we might try that next time. The cakes looked delicious too.
Next we walked around the gardens (35 acres). There is a wide variety of trees and plants, attracting birds and butterflies that I rarely see elsewhere. There are beehives too, but mostly well-kept gardens that are peaceful and litter free. There is a childens' play area and a picnic area too.
It's good to see the telescope close up - obviously this is the main attraction.
Some of the other reviews say that there is not a lot to do here, and I can see what they would be disappointed if they were looking for some kind of Space Museum, but for a relaxing and interesting stop-off or half day out, I can fully recommend a visit.
It is mostly outside, so may not be much fun in bad weather, but next time I will bring a picnic and spend longer in the gardens.