“Wished I'd taken more notice of TripAdvisor”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Macclesfield
Penrose Guest House
Ranked #17 of 17 Macclesfield B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Wished I'd taken more notice of TripAdvisor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

This is an ok B&B but if you book do ensure that you have documented evidence of your booking as you will have to provide your bank card details. I stayed here while looking for a room to rent in Macclesfield. At the start of my second week I enquired about availability for the following week however the next day found a room so didn't need to make a booking. I left a voicemail and sent an email to say thanks for my stay and that I wouldn't be looking to stay any longer as I had found a room but received no reply. The following week I was charged for a week's booking that I hadn't made. I questioned this with the owner and she basically said tough and that I had made a booking. This resulted in me having to cancel my card as I didn't know what else might be taken out.

Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Toby R
CheshireWatchdog, Guest Relations Manager at Penrose Guest House, responded to this review, 24 November 2011
Toby - We were delighted that you were so happy here that - after initially booking in for just four days - you then stayed for a further three weeks. And, we so enjoyed all of the little chats we had.

You know we did explain our cancellation policy to you when you made your initial reservation. And we reminded you that it – and our ‘terms and conditions’ are writ clear on our website.

You comments on Trip Advisor are not only very naughty but also untrue. You had booked in for a fourth week commencing Monday 14th March when on Sunday 13th March you advised us by email that you had got immediate possession of a flat - and would no longer require the room. That email is on record and gave less than 24 hours notice of cancellation.

You know from your time here that we are usually fully booked all week. In reserving the room for you we had turned away other business.

So it is very sad that you demanded a refund and feel aggrieved that we, your bankers and credit card company have all conspired against you. Particularly so when you had told us how much you enjoyed being at Penrose.

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2010

Booked three nights got taken vary ill had to cancel, gave three days notice lady vary rude on phone said if she couldnt fill room would charge me £90 but wouldnt do anything stright away that was at 5.20 at 5.30 I rang my bank and bang on 5.30 she had put my card number through be warned.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank mingcat
CheshireWatchdog, Owner at Penrose Guest House, responded to this review, 18 May 2011
On 25th Oct 2010 Alison Barrington alias Mingcat - reserved a room for 3 days from 27th. She was told about our cancellation policy which is printed on our website. She agreed to our terms and conditions, authorised us to charge her MasterCard and gave us her credit details so that we could do this - and her mobile phone number. Her card was charged on 25th Oct at 18:49 – verified by the printed record and authorisation from our Merchant Services.

She phoned to cancel mid afternoon on 27th Oct, a couple of hours before she had arranged to book in. She demanded a total refund and became very aggressive when we told her we could not agree to that unless and until we were able to re-let the room.

There was no activity on her card by us on any day at or around 5.20 to 5.30 pm. This review is malicious fiction from beginning to end.

Travellers are raving about these Macclesfield hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Macclesfield
Alderley Edge Hotel
Mottram Hall
Mottram Hall
#1 of 1 in Mottram St. Andrew
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,451 reviews

Been to Penrose Guest House? Share your experiences!