“Restful start to a short break!”
Review of The Ryles Arms

The Ryles Arms
Ranked #4 of 17 Macclesfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 April 2014

As with many other reviewers, our stay was delightful from arrival to departure.

Arrival was late afternoon on a Sunday, but we were very obviously expected and were greeted and booked in immediately by a very pleasant young lady. There was an offer to carry our bags as we were introduced to the room and talked through the facilities and what did what. We were left to settle-in until our pre-booked dinner.

On a reasonably busy Sunday evening we were seated immediately on entering the dining room and given plenty of time to study the menu to choose our eat-and-stay meal. The waiting staff kept a check on us, discreetly, until we were ready to order. We chose starters of Seafood Cocktail and Black Pudding, of which the latter was intended to be a slice of beef tomato sandwiched between two slices of black pudding. We were to follow this with the Chicken Peri-Peri and a Fillet Steak.

Towards the end of a busy Sunday it wasn't too surprising that there wasn't a tomato to sandwich so, not being told "it's orf" we were offered a large flat mushroom as the filling. Yes please!

All the dishes were cooked, served and presented to perfection. The steak was cooked exactly as to order, bearing in mind the list of grill definitions on the menu. The chicken was indeed spicy, as a Peri-Peri should be and the accompanying veggies were just right.

We really couldn't manage a dessert, but were reminded that it was part of the deal, so relented and persuaded ourselves. The Lemon Meringue Pie's accompanying ice cream was varied to suit our choice and the base was a beautifully dry, crumbly texture, topped with a fluffy light meringue. The Creme Brûlée was definitely creamy!

A peaceful night ensued, helped by the quiet rural situation and by being detached from the pub/restaurant, as we were in the barn conversion.

After the previous night's dinner (and an afternoon tea before that!) we really didn't need to stoke up for the day with the "full English", but................... we did! And very good it was too. Cooked to order and quickly, it really did set us up for the day.

The Ryles Arms is to be complimented on all aspects of our stay, but especially for every member of staff we encountered. All were welcoming , attentive, friendly and took the time to chat awhile. Top marks!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Came on April 4th for the meal and room, was upgraded to a fantastic self-catering room and it was so grand, food fabulous and service brilliant can't wait to come back again, one of the best places I've ever been to, just hope we can make breakfast lol

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We arrived on time and waited fourty minutes for our table. The manager gave us free drinks. We were then treated to excellent food and service. The staff were lovely and checked we were happy with our food and there service. Smiling staff on such a busy evening was a real bonus!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nas2014
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Came here last night with partner and mother, steaks cooked to perfection and service was attentive and informative.
We shared a pudding as we know the sticky toffee in particular is a generous size :)

Looking forward to coming back.

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

We called in the ryles arms on the off chance on sunday and were greeted by a friendly and pleasent member of staff who informed us that there would be a short wait for a table. We waited at the bar and could not resist a portion of homemade crackling and mixed nuts whilst waiting! After 15 minuites we were shown to our table where we were informed of the daily specials. Overall the meal, service and atmosphere was fantastic and we look forward to visiting again when in the area (booking in advance of course).

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marsh26
Reviewed 19 February 2014

As parents to two small children, nights away are few and far between and so my husband and I were really looking forward to our "night off". Lovely friendly reception once again at check in and as we arrived slightly later than originally planned we asked if we could change our reservation for our meal booked to a later time and this was done no problem. Room was once again spotless and we really enjoyed the nice Valentine token of truffles which were left in the room with an accompanying note. Meal was fantastic as always - I would highly recommend the fillet steak which was cooked to perfection. My hubby chose the mixed grill (as he always does!) and he was in his element too. Desert was amazing, we chose to share this time and topped off our evening with a delicious liquor coffee.
After a very comfortable nights rest we were treated to the most amazing breakfast ever and we were set up for the day and back home to the children. Thank you once again Ryles Arms for a lovely evening!

Room Tip: Room 2 is lovely warm and cosy
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I have eaten at the Ryles Arms on numerous occasions and never been disappointed with the food, service or staff. On this occasion there were four of us and two children. Three meals were fine, the other, which was a steak and ordered medium to well done, was not. The steak came out and was very bloody. However, the person concerned didn't complain as, if the meal had been sent back, it would mean that we couldn't all eat together and our meals would have been cold. However, when the waiter came to collect the plates, we pointed out that it wasn't what we ordered but left it at that. The waiter did say that we could have returned the steak, but we pointed out the reasons above. When we came to pay for the meal, the same waiter offered to wipe the price of the steak from the bill, which we accepted. He went to the kitchen and the next thing we knew a 'chef' who proclaimed he owned the premises appeared and in a very aggressive manner said the steak would not be refunded. My son-in-law argued that the waiter had said it would be, and I have to admit swore at the chef because of his intimidating manner. The chef then incredibly 'offered my son-in-law outside'! It was pointed out that this was actually the Ryles Arms and not McDonalds. It was disgusting, to say the least especially with my daughter having to take two young children outside to the car to avoid this rant. Reading all the poor reviews on this site, I have to say that the replies from the Ryles Arms are very much 'its not our fault' and the fact that they have the last word. I can only assume that this person has become so complacent that yes, lots of people do have a great experience whilst eating there, but for the people that don't, he really couldn't care less. Shame.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Christine C
RylesManagement, Owner at The Ryles Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Thank you for your review!

Unfortunately half the story seems to have been edited. So I will fill the gaps for the general public.

We serve our steaks on a cast iron plate which is very hot so it cooks your steaks a little bit more and keeps your steak hot until the last bite as some of our steaks are particularly large. In this case we misjudged the gentlemen's steak and it was a undercooked. However when the waiter came to check on the table a few minutes into the meal, said gentlemen refused us to rectify the problem which would have been no more than 3-4 minutes on the chargrill, for said reasons.

When clearing the table the young man waiting the table, asked again how was everything, as said gentlemen had left the parsley garnish and nothing more.

No sooner had he cleared the last plate from the table the gentlemen came to the desk and told the waiter serving him that it was terrible and he wasn't paying for his T-bone steak. We had no opportunity to offer the table desserts on the house a round of drinks any way of turning the negative (which we hold our hands up too) into a positive. The waiter asked would they like desserts or anything else to which the gentlemen started raising his voice and used inappropriate language, and bully the 17 year old waiter who was only trying to help the gentlemen.

This continued until the waiter came and asked for my assistance (I was in the kitchen for the Sunday night shift). I came out and apologised immediately for the under cooking of his steak. I saw the bone come back into the kitchen with the traces of the undercooked meat clinging to it in-between the teeth marks, so I knew his point was valid. I tried to explain why the waiter comes to check on the table a few bites into their meals to ensure they are happy with everything and if there is anything else we can do.

I did not finish my sentence before the barrage of insults and swear words commenced again. At this stage I pointed out to the gentlemen if he were to speak to me again in this manner I would not be willing to help him, I understand you are not happy with the meal you were served, lets rectify the problem because, (and this is where said gentlemen is confused) your attitude leads me to think you want to take me outside.

The senior gentlemen even apologised to me for his son-in-laws renowned short fuse.

I am saddened that this customer had such an attitude over such a simple problem to fix, but there is no reason at all under any circumstances for myself or any member of my staff be subjected to the language and bullying of any nature.

We do everything in our power to ensure everyone dining at the Ryles has great dining experience. It starts from when they ring to book, as you have said you are repeat customers who I know by name and face, we are unhappy how things were left and we hope to see you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Macclesfield
Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club
#3 of 17 in Macclesfield
Common Barn Farm
Common Barn Farm
#1 of 1 in Rainow

Been to The Ryles Arms? Share your experiences!