“The Stanley Arms revisited”
Review of Stanley Arms

Stanley Arms
Ranked #3 of 17 Macclesfield B&B and Inns
Longhope, United Kingdom
“The Stanley Arms revisited”
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Following our visit in April, See “Like reading a good book that you don't want to end” we revisited The Stanley Arms, stayed three nights and confirmed this must be one of the best pub/b&bs in the country. Excellent food,very friendly service and good accommodation. We shall be back.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2012

We spent one night at the Stanley Arms, after it was recommended to us by friends. It was such a relaxing break and the homemade food was delicious. The cheese pie was amazing! It is in a lovely setting; the views from the top of the hills are fabulous. Ideal location for visiting Buxton and for some excellent walks/ cycling. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Stayed at the Stanley Arms for 2 nights and wish I'd booked for longer! Perfect location but you will definitely need a car! We had a beautiful room in the converted barn!

Breakfast and evening meal were fantastic!
Highly recommend!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I booked a night here as a friend my father and myself were interested in a couple of days cycling in the peak district.
We chose the Stanley Arms as it offered a great spot between Buxton & Macclesfield and was in the middle of some great cycling/walking country.
Arrived on Saturday 30/09/12 at about 12:30.
We parked up, had a brief chat and then went into the pub to check in. When we stepped inside there was no-one about, apart from a few voices coming from the open door to the kitchen. So I dropped my bags, stepped into the doorway of the kitchen and announced my presence. Immediately, a woman who I later found out to be the owner dropped what she was doing, walked toward me saying nothing with a grimace on her face and gestured for me to get out of the kitchen by waving her hands at me, which I thought was about the worst way to greet a customer. After this, I made some remarks about her poor attitude which seemed to fall on deaf ears. Anyway, we checked in, room was clean and tidy. Décor was a little dated and furniture a bit on the mahogany effect chip board for me. And the de canter of white sherry and chocolate limes (the old fashioned sweet shop type) might have impressed a group of old dears on a bingo weekend, but I wasn't.
So, great ride in wonderful scenic countryside, a hot shower and we were ready for our evening meal. We would have expected a pub serving food to leave menus in the guest rooms to drum up extra business, but no. So I went and took a photo of the Black board and brought it back to our room for approval. All the food sounded of a very high standard and the fair being brought out of the kitchen smelt and looked good but there were not many traditional pub foods with piles of pastry or deep fried goodness which is important after cycling up all those steep climbs. So we opted for another venue.
After a good sleep. We went for breakfast to be greeted by a well set out breakfast area. There were cereals, fruit (tinned variety only which was a shame) and a very ample full English breakfast. Apart from some of the food being a little under done, the 2 big complaints were, only Margarine for the toast and average quality preserves, which for a £89 per night establishment is simply not on, and the snotty attitude of the lady owner who when asked for brown sauce, snapped "when I've finished bringing the breakfasts in"
I think it was that remark which prompted me write this review. All the other staff were very friendly by the way and and the chap who gave me extra milk for tea in my room was a very nice guy indeed.
My review would normally lie between average and very good but the criticisms mentioned above, dragged it down a notch.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank James T
Manchester
Reviewed 16 September 2012

We are regulars ... We eat here and the food is lovely... Bottom of the Oven lamb is just excellent. We drink here and Adrian and Carolyn are perfect hosts with their dry sense of humour and professional efficiency. We quiz here on a Tuesday night and have been known to come second on numerous occasions. We haven't stayed here but those who have are always full of praise... All in all a really nice pub in the country between Macclesfield and Buxton. John and Jacob

Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Treasure Island, Florida
Reviewed 13 September 2012

We stayed three nights in the Clough Room. From our arrival, we were welcomed by great staff. Adrian and Caroline (owners) have trained their staff to treat their guests as well as they do. Our room was comfortable and the bath was large. We had plenty of hot water, I know other reviews complained, but no problems during our stay. The Stanley Arms seems remote, but it's only 30 minutes from Manchester, it's near to Macclesfield, Buxton and Bakewell (Chatsworth House). Adrian loaned us maps for walks around the area and we took great walks around the reservoirs, Macclesfield Forest, Tegg's Nose, etc. Breakfasts are wonderful and Caroline will make anything you want. What you MUST order at dinner-Bottom-of-the-Oven Lamb. I don't eat lamb often but this dish is exquisite. The best lamb I've ever eaten. We also had duck dishes that were wonderful and steak-and-ale pies that were authentic. George, a German wire-haired pointer is a friendly ambassador as well. We would definitely book a return trip the next time we are in that area of the UK.

Room Tip: The Clough Room is spacious and lovely.