“Absolutely one off.”
Review of Oakwood Park Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Brampton
Oakwood Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Brampton
South Yorkshire
“Absolutely one off.”
Reviewed 12 June 2011

I must admit that the first impression of the gigantic room that we had here was not wholly positive. I'm something of a minimalist in my taste in hotel rooms and here we were presented with a restrained riot of furniture and objets d'arts crowned by a half canopied bed decorated in apricot frills. The bathroom was similarly ornate but also home to a green bath.

However,closer inspection revealed the true mystery at the heart of this unique establishment. On the lovely mantel was a glass carriage clock, a full sewing kit and, I kid you not, a small chest containing a proper shoe cleaning kit, not one of the gestures towards pedal tidiness that one normally gets but brushes,polish,the lot. Above the mantel was a glamorous gilt mirror. The bathroom was adorned with a huge set of plates featuring vintage seaside scenes.The green bath had one of those massive tap and shower arrangements that promised and delivered lashings of hot water at a rapid rate. There was even a new spare toothbrush and one of those wooden racks across the bath to hold your soap,shampoo and toy boats. Someone was actually thinking about what guests might need.

The lounge was even better. After lurking round the garden before dinner, I spent a good twenty minutes perusing the eclectic display in there with a perfectly presented gin and tonic in hand. There is a half scale turkey model wearing a top hat with the legend "Season's Greetings" across the bottom. There are porcelain figures to gaze at,comfortable chairs to sit in,the happy chat from the kitchen to remind you that someone is making dinner for you,just as if you were in a friend's house for the weekend.

The dinner was good. I had baulked at a dish with dumplings when I first saw it on the menu but I had been wrong.Some cooks can still make them. The stew and dumplings here were superb - take note, Old Yarmouth Port Inn. Huge amounts of vegetables were presented with the main course and the cheese plate was gigantic. No fuss, no pretension, just top quality domestic cooking. They have a simple wine list-a house white and a house red. The red was more than acceptable. Afterwards, in the lounge, there was a jug of coffee and conversation between guests.

I made the wrong choice at breakfast and had the disappointing mushrooms and tomatoes on toast but the cooked breakfast was pronounced excellent by other guests and the two boiled eggs served up with cosies to one of our party were absolutely as they should have been. I would have liked a buffet for the cereals but the service was quick enough not to make it an issue. The coffee was good and freshly made before our eyes in an antediluvian machine.

The house is lovely and loved by its owners. It has a stately hallway and staircase and is full of beautiful and quirky things and even its rough edges have charm. It is run by human beings. I asked if they had a dress code for dining and when the Wendy and Catrina had stopped laughing long enough they told me that I could eat in my slippers if I wanted. I believed them.

A handsome older couple,regulars at Oakwood,asked me,if I was going to review the hotel, to express their total enchantment with the place.They were made to feel so completely at home there that they wanted to make others aware of its unique character. The place isn't in tip top condition,it isn't smart or boutique in any way. You won't get bowing and scraping and you won't get fobbed off with pale imitations of service. You will certainly get a pleasant surprise when you read the bill.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank retiredstudent

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Esher, England
Reviewed 26 May 2011

A Victorian country house run as a small hotel, and still retaining an old-fashioned character in the best sense of the word. Comfortable and quiet. Evening meals are ordered beforehand (by 5 p.m.) and are tasty and well presented.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
crediton
Reviewed 24 May 2011

The hotel looks very nice on approach. The public rooms are really good, comfy lounge and spacious dining room, but the bedroom was cramped and the bathroom was not very nice (like a plastic wet room on a car ferry). Food was good and plentiful, and it's a short taxi ride from the Hadrian's Wall Trail.

Room Tip: Don't have room 3
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed 1 September 2010

My husband and I stayed here in July as we were visiting family nearby and it was recommended by them. The room was enormous and so comfortable, big bathroom, lovely friendly people and a superb breakfast. The hotel is located in lovely grounds and is an old family house, it is very peaceful and nice to see the wildlife too. We could not have stayed anywhere better.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Somerset
Reviewed 24 May 2010

I have been using this hotel for a number of years and it is always to joy to stay there. The house is lovely, the food is great and the rooms are beautifully furnished. The downside of giving reviews like this is that it might be fully booked next time I want to stay! Will be back in September and October.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Fredericktown, Missouri
Reviewed 30 November 2009

WOW!!! Not much more could actually encompass the whole stay! Absolutely lovely manor; very absolutely wonderful meals!! Why leave the grounds to go to a restaraunt in town? The critters are all adorable -- even the rooster! Only problem with him is that the "snooze alarm" doesn't stop! The grounds were absolutely gorgeous. I could not have asked for a more pleasant, hospitable stay anywhere! My husband booked all our accomodations for our first trip to the Lake District (our 21st anniversary trip), and I do have to say everything else for the rest of the trip couldn't measure up! BTW -- did I say it was "absolutely" the very best?

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2009

We stayed at Oakwood Park as part of a walk along the Hadrian's Wall national trail. It's about 3 miles away from the trail, but is easy enough to get to (a taxi picked us up at Banks Turret). Our room was the size of some 2-bedroom flats in London--I was astonished when we opened the door. The bathroom was also immense.

This place took me back in time. It has quite a Victorian feel to it, and I found it a relaxing and peaceful place. We ate dinner and breakfast there and enjoyed the food as well.

I'd recommend this place to folks needing a place to stay near Brampton.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sassypanda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brampton
Farlam Hall Country House Hotel
#8 of 20 in Carlisle
Crown & Mitre Hotel
Crown & Mitre Hotel
#7 of 20 in Carlisle

Been to Oakwood Park Hotel? Share your experiences!