“Excellent B&B, we will be back.”
Review of Abbey Bridge

Abbey Bridge
Ranked #6 of 26 Brampton B&B and Inns
England
“Excellent B&B, we will be back.”
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Abbey Bridge is a large house and converted smithy on the road from Brampton to Lanercost. It was very easy to find, even with my brain being in total meltdown from a 9 hour and 350 mile drive. Tim, the proprietor carried all my bags in for me, which was very nice of him.

We stayed in Lyne, a twin bedded room just beyond the Guest Lounge, the room was adequate in size, and spotlessly clean. I have to sleep more or less upright, and Tim was happy to provide another two pillows for me, and a second duvet for my daughter, who wanted a double duvet. The shower room was also spotless, high quality shower gel, hand gel and body lotion are provided (although we only used the hand gel),

There was a choice of breakfast, which Tim cooked perfectly every morning for both of us, I can recommend the scrambled eggs, boiled eggs and the ranchers eggs - which my daughter had, and since it involved chilli salsa seemed to me to be a bit OTT for breakfast, but she enjoyed it immensely. The coffee arrived in a cute little cafetiere and was very strong.

There is free Wifi, which fed the addiction of both of us for our emails and in my case for the iPlayer - there was a TV in the room, and another in the guest lounge, but neither of us used them - and my only complaint about it was that it cut out at midnight on one of the days, and we couldn't get it back again. The bandwidth was certainly good enough for me to keep up with the Masterchef episodes I'd missed during the week.

The location is excellent, we walked to Lanercost priory which is just down the road, and it seems to be a great starting point for people walking the Hadrians Wall path, there were many other guests doing this. We were there because I was attending a course being run at Roadhead, and my daughter was happy enough to hang around in the room, working on her computer, so we didn't do any walking.

I really couldn't fault this B&B and if doing something similar in the same area, we will be back.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Little Langford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Our room was really nice, clean with a good shower and comfortable bed. The dining experience wasn't really for us, as it was quite expensive and the atmosphere not so great. It's in a lovely location next to the river.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sharon C
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We have just had the most wonderful night at Abbey Bridge. Very comfortable bed, room and bath and simply superb dinner, cooked by our host Tim. The soup (I'd love the recipe), beef casserole and plum dessert were all delicious. But the icing on the cake for me was my porridge at breakfast. Not a great fry up person, I asked Tim if I could have porridge and told him the way I like it. It was perfection in a bowl and it sustained me on the stretch of Hadrian's Wall walk today to Carlisle. Thank you Tim very much indeed.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 22 October 2012

First stop on my Hadrian's Wall walk. Completed 16 miles from Carlisle on a glorious August day - one of the few apparently. Bumped into some serious walkers who were doing a hero's walk from Housestead Fort in one day - I kid you not. Walked into Lanercost with them and asked a friendly local the direction to Abbey Bridge. Lovely setting by the river. Warm welcome from the owner and my wife who had bussed the first section - she had bronchitis and whimped out. Abbey Bridge was originally a pub now a great b&b. Downed a cold boutique beer and asked about grub. No dinners but the wall bus into Brampton stopped outside the door, where there are many eating places, and a 5 quid taxi home. Comfortable,airy rooms, attention to detail excellent. Typical energy storing English breakfast served in a pleasant setting. Ate with a number of the hero walkers. It was like a hospital casualty station - blisters, sprained ankles, dodgy knees. Still 19 miles in one day over the most difficult section of the walk. I though they were the heros.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank robmacca
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I stayed at the Abbey Bridge B&B whilst walking Hadrian’s Wall. It is located just down the hill from the Hadrian’s Wall trail and I received a warm welcome on arrival. My first impression was that of a beautiful house located in picturesque valley next to a river. The room was very comfortable and the en suite bathroom had a fantastic double shower – just what was needed after a long day of walking! Drying facilities were also available for my wet boots. Dinner was an excellent three-course set menu (£20) and breakfast couldn’t have been better. Meals were served around a large dining table allowing everyone to chat, which was different to other place I had stayed and a nice touch. Packed lunches were available for £5 (cheaper than other B&Bs on the wall which were all £6). Wifi is available. Overall a lovely stay and I would definitely go back – thanks Tim!

Room Tip: Book early as it fills up quickly! If you require dinner, book in advance to ensure it is available...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Like most people I stayed at the Abbey Bridge while doing the Hadrian's wall walk. I found the room, food and facilities to be finished to a high standard. My room was lovely and comfortable with a luxurious and clean en suite. Good chat at the breakfast table with other walkers and I would have taken advantage of the honesty bar if I hadn't had a long day of walking ahead of me. I took the bus into Brampton for an evening meal which wasn't great but it is a nice little town.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2012

This was a lovely place to stop. The house was grand, welcome warm, he room was great with a good comfortable bed and a bath!!
We ate dinner there which was great. A communal table with a well stocked honesty bar. Nice food. The company was nice with strangers also walking Hadrian's Wall. Good sleep and a fine breakfast. It is about a mile off the wall path so adds a little extra to your distance! Would recommend it readily

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brampton
The George Hotel
#3 of 8 in Gilsland
The Belted Will Inn
The Belted Will Inn
#9 of 26 in Brampton

Been to Abbey Bridge? Share your experiences!