“Fantastic location”

New Mills Trout Fishing Park
Ranked #2 of 13 things to do in Brampton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A unique trout fishing park with superb scenery and a stream fed lake at its centre. New Mills also provides one of the largest tackle shops in the north of Cumbria. Set within 7 acres of rolling countryside and centred on an historic 1753 Corn Mill, which was originally part of the Howard family's Naworth Castle Estate. Glamping available in 7 Deluxe Running Water Wigwams, offering cosy, heated accommodation with kitchen and en-suite shower and toilet. Some available with wood fired hot tubs. 1 acre Troutmasters fly fishing lake and additional fun fishing 'bait' pond. Fishing lessons. Children's fishing parties. Corporate fishing days. Fresh trout for sale. Onsite cafe and bistro. Children's play area.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Fantastic location”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

What an awesome location just off the busy A69 - felt like we were in the depths of the countryside. We stopped for a coffee but ended up having lunch sat outside the lovely café. I had scrambled eggs with parma ham and it came with some sun-dried tomatoes and lightly toasted French bread. Fabulous for £5.75! And the service was lovely.

My only slight criticism is the coffee was very ordinary - I can't understand why so many cafes serve such poor coffee (I like it strong and black, Nero's is the best)

We didn't fish but the fishing looked good - the sort of thing that anyone could do. We also noticed they do kids events for c.£10 per head which would be a fun event for a birthday party.

Visited April 2014
KatharineGoode, Owner at New Mills Trout Fishing Park, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Thank you for choosing to stop at our fishing park for lunch and coffee. I'm very pleased to read you enjoyed our location and noted the facilities we have on offer here. However I am disappointed to read that you felt our coffee was ordinary and of a poor standard. Before opening our BITE cafe last year I personally spent a year sampling and choosing the perfect coffee for us. It is 100% Arabica, of a medium roast and is triple certified (which means it is organic, Fairtrade and supports the Rainforest Alliance). I am as 'passionate' about my coffee as I am about my tea (we serve loose leaf tea at BITE) and I chose this particular roast of coffee to suit the majority of tastes (it is light, soft and sweet). From what you describe, I think perhaps a dark roast better suits your palate. I do hope you choose to visit us again and I thank you for taking the time to leave us a 5 star review. Katharine

Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
106 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Kids enjoyed watching fish being fed”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Average fishing. Kids enjoyed watching fish being fed. Staff friendly and responsive. A good filler for a afternoon.

Visited May 2013
Stocksfield, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“the big show”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

started fly fishing again after many years, and came to new mills after a friend told me about the
quality of fish being caught. I wasn't disappointed and have caught good size fish on many occasions now. the owners are very helpful and i have purchased everything i needed for fly fishing from the well stocked shop. a great fishery to visit.

Visited December 2013
3 Thank paul c
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Derek W.- fly fishing”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Fly fished here a few times now & always had an excellent day, there's some big fish in here to tempt you, also a smaller lake for kids to fish,great tackle shop with advice on flies,rods,clothing & techniques etc to try, also a brilliant cafe to get hot or cold food & drinks which is well appreciated.
Great time, every time !!!!!!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Derek W
Alston, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fishing”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Fish here today and I have to say was an excellent fishery well stocked with some very good fish every fish we hooked was very healthy and plenty off fight the weather was against us today and still managed 5 fish with my cousin and he caught one around 14lb and then hooked another that snapped his line would recommend this fishery highly and the staff are very helpful and pleasant

Thanks again will defiantly be returning soon

Visited January 2014