“Not one good report in 2013?”
Review of Golden Fry

Golden Fry
Ranked #35 of 72 Restaurants in Bodmin
Price range: US$1 - US$7
Reviewed 6 November 2013

This chippy has really gone down the pan, I really used to like this place when I regularly passed through Bodmin on business, however never again! Badly cooked fish almost raw with soft inedible batter, when I complained I was not offered a replacement. It appears that the place is no longer staffed by the owners but relies on staff who don't understand anything about customer relations and customer retention and certainly can't cook good food. As I said earlier - Never Again!

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Okay so as someone who travels frequently especially weekends, I need to eat and without fail have my beloved fish and chips at least twice a week. So I know a good chippy when I find one.
After a long day in Cornwall this Saturday (12/10/2013) I was really hungry and needed to find food! As I came through Bodmin I saw the Golden Fry, it had a few people in, so I thought I would give it a whirl. The order was medium Cod and Chips twice, it was on a special deal at £4.50 a portion. Whilst waiting I could see large number of "Rape seed oil" tins behind the counter, which didn't inspire me, but too late now I thought and We were both really hungry anyway. A few minutes later my food wad ready and off to the car outside to eat I went. Well really truly totally let down, they were rubbish, really rubbish!!! The cod, if it even was cod was grey and had no flavour at all, just not fresh I would say, and both the fish and chips were saturated in oil, rape seed oil, the batter was still raw mixture in parts and gloopy thick. Almost like they were trying to bulk out the piece of fish which again was small but worse than that was frankly inedible, even to two adults who were truly ravenous!!! So we gave up trying to eat anymore, as they were just so bad. I took both portions back to the shop and spoke to the fryer, who couldn't have been any less helpful, he didn't want to know, offered no refund or replacement and even swore under his breath as I left the shop!!! Moral of this story, don't be taken in by a convenient location and close parking in a non familiar area, or a few people in the shop. These were the worst fish and chips I have had in the last thirty years and by some margin!!! Don't make the same mistake, and if you do, don't say you weren't warned. Utterly terrible!!!

8  Thank sandra c
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

I have never meet staff we could make such a simple business so complicated. They couldn't organise a p*** up in a brewery. The fish portion was tiny considering the price. I would avoid and save your money.

The other customers looked like something out of a Jeremy Kyle horror movie.

3  Thank Foodmad89
Reviewed 24 August 2013

The food is freshly cooked and tasty, with a friendly service! A vast menu to choose from with plenty of variety and monthly special offers!

4  Thank MrsCW1982
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

Called here a few days ago, bought medium cod and chips, not the cheapest around at £5.25. Came in a box, presentation was ok, but that was as good as it got, the chips were hard, and the only taste was that of oily greasy taste, not at all pleasant. The portion size certainly wasn't generous, which made me feel better when they went in the bin, The fish, or should I say what fish, there was more batter than fish, and like the chips, the batter just tasted of old greasy oil, with a tiny piece of fish hiding inside. Very very disappointing from a shop that should know better.

1  Thank niceoneshane