“Best holiday ever! ”
Review of Coombe Mill

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bodmin
Coombe Mill
“Best holiday ever! ”
Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

Booked this holiday with the highest expectations and they were superseded! We had a wonderful relaxing family holiday. The kids enjoyed the freedom that this rural setting gave them while being able to make friends with other holiday makers. Can't wait to go back!!

Stayed July 2013

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We stayed at Coombe Mill at the beginning of August with our two year old son and it was everything we hoped for and more. Other people have mentioned the feed run, the train ride, the cleanliness, friendliness and quality of accommodation and all that is great. Above and beyond that was the calm, quiet and serenity of the place. For the Cornwall in the middle of August and despite being full, it never felt once felt crowded. Would definitely go again and I'm sure my kid's will keep enjoying the place as they get older.

Room Tip: If you want old school charm, go for one of the cottages.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank juanito077
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We have just returned from a trip to Coombe Mill, staying in the stunning Trevarno lodge. It is the newest property at Coombe Mill and perfectly kitted out for a family. There is a play loft containing lots of toys that our 2.5 year old loved. The solid stair gates ensured that he was safe and allowed us to chill out in the lounge below while he chattered happily away to the dinosaurs / cars / trucks / etc., occasionally popping his head over the gate to share his latest find! The kitchen was well kitted out with washing machine, tumble drier, dishwasher and all the usual mod cons. And while we did some cooking for ourselves, we also enjoyed some of Fiona's home cooked meals from the freezer, which were yummy.

The location is idyllic. The valley is filled with the sound of the stream passing through the site. Wellies are available to borrow and an essential for the morning feed runs. The outside play areas were great - the pirate ship, trampoline and 5pm train rides being a particular favourite.

Being picky, the wifi is not great and at best, we had an intermittent signal. And don't forget to pack soap, bin bags and other kitchen essentials (salt / pepper / foil).

But all in all, a super duper family break and we will be back for another visit!

Room Tip: The Scandinavian Lodges are superb
1 Thank ClaireGoodhead
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We have just returned from the ideal family holiday, staying in the Honeysuckle Cottage at Coombe Mill! It is like the owners have thought of everything to make the perfect family holiday for young families. The accommodation was spotless when we arrived and was nice and spacious for our family of five. The children loved their play-den and the fitted stair gates were an added bonus to help us relax in the knowledge our children were safe in the cottage.

The feed run was lots of fun each morning and a lovely start to the day. My young boys loved getting up close to the animals and holding and stroking any that would let them! It was also so nice to be able to explore the grounds and feed the animals as we pleased throughout the day too. There are four play areas too, with a great variety of equipment for the children and the 5pm train ride is always a big hit!

I want to thank the owners for making us feel like we were at home on their farm and I will definitely be recommending their place to my friends and family!

Nottinghamshire
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I do not normally review holidays but when my wife showed me some of the comments left by some other holidaymakers I needed to say something!

I have a busy day job and we booked this holiday to get away from it all, which is difficult with a 2 year old daughter. As soon as we turned off the main road towards Coombe Mill I knew it would be the place for us. The road was probably the smallest i have ever drove upon! All I could hear was the sound of running water and the occasional sound of chickens clucking. It was so peaceful!

As someone who is obsessed by my work having a limited phone signal was a pain at first but by the end of the holiday it was perfect! There is free WIFI available so I could check my e mails when needed.

People are so used to a professional service it can sometimes take away from the charm of a place. Coombe Mill has character in abundance. Farmer Nick had such a good way with the children, my daughter never stopped asking for him, and Fiona was just amazing, it is definitely the good life and Fiona was always making meals for people to purchase in the shop. We had the most delicious bramble crumble.

The lodge we stayed in was not good it was great! I loved the log burner and for £15.00 a week, including all the logs, it was a bargain. I was surprised that the lodge had a coin meter for electricity but by the end of the holiday i realised why. How many holiday lets have a tumble dryer! It seemed a fair system that if people wanted this facility they could use it. We used the washer and dryer most days because my daughter was constantly getting dirty and it still only cost about £8.00 in total for the electricity.

We have some lovely memories of the holiday and my daughter had the time of her life, her favourite part of the day was egg collecting, Farmer Nick allowed each child to take an egg and we always cooked it for her breakfast.

I love fishing and tried both the river and lakes available. The lake was great to fish and I caught my first ever carp. On my first morning's outing (I got to go fishing whilst mum and daughter went on the feed run) I had caught 3 carp and 3 tench and I also witnessed a real professional fisherman, a magnificent kingfisher, on the opposite bank.

It was not a working farm, as stated in a previous review, but growing up in the countryside myself I was relieved. It is very child friendly! Who wants to be surrounded by working machinery and large animals with a young child?

I think out of all my memories the best one will be simply how dark it is at night. I have never seen so many stars. A wonderful place, great people and charm in abundance.

Hornchurch United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We went to Coombe Mill with our daughter, son-in-law and three children and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It was like our holidays of old when our children were young. Coombe Mill is a safe environment for children, although a little caution is required as there is a very quiet road running through the holiday village. The family who run it is very friendly with the children obviously helping their parents out. The experience for the children with the care of the animals and the fishing available was great. There is a good play area and even a little train ride in the late afternoon. The children thoroughly enjoyed their holiday, as we parents and grand-parents did. There is a swimming pool, bar, restaurant and clubhouse at nearby Hengar Manor which is very handy. All in all a good base to visit North Cornwall from.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

Sadly, the promise of the excellent web page was not actually delivered on in reality.

Yes, the kids had fun. Mostly. What kid doesn't love to feed the chickens, 'drive' the tractor and jump on a trampoline. But it takes more than that to warrant the prices being charged for a week at Coombe Mill.

It surprised and disappointed me to have to pay extra for towels, pay extra for dishwasher tablets, pay extra for washing powder, pay extra for toilet paper, pay extra for using the fireplace and pay for all electricity ON TOP of the room tarrif.

I understand that the services offered here are 'above and beyond' a regular vacation rental, which is why we were happy to pay more than we would for a regular vacation rental. But I honestly don't think the price difference is worth it.

Since staying ar Coombe Mill I have revisited their web page to see if we had been duped. We hadn't. The promotional material is very carefully accurate - it tells you what is included - a list which does not include any of the hidden extras as outlined above. Points for advertising.

Since our stay I have also revisited these tripadvisor reviews. If you look closely, and with the wisdom of experience, you can read some of the criticisms between the lines. Many reviewers comment on the tired facilities, the hidden extras and the disappointment. (As an aside, I also find it very interesting that many of the five star reviews are written with the same tone, sentence structure and vocabulary.)

Don't get me wrong, this place isn't dreadful. It just isn't as astonishingly-amazingly-brilliant as you might otherwise be led to believe. It is a business venture which sets out to make a profit, as it should, but in my view Nick and Fiona have got the balance slightly wrong.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Ramjellica
Fiona C, Owner at Coombe Mill, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
It saddens me that you feel Nick and I are somehow misleading with our website. I try very hard to make everything clear and all photos are with a basic camera. Thankfully more people feel our website doesn't do us justice. As for the add ons there is no attempt to hide the items we charge for and the price of any add ons is not a money maker just to cover costs. Despite your implications any reviews here are genuine, I have only just worked out how to respond to them!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bodmin
Bedruthan Hotel & Spa
#1 of 3 in St Columb Major
The Park, Cornwall
The Park, Cornwall
#2 of 5 in Mawgan Porth

Been to Coombe Mill? Share your experiences!