“Stunning...Full Days Entertainment”

Lanhydrock House and Garden
Ranked #1 of 36 things to do in Bodmin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This 19th-century high-Victorian country house is one of the most fascinating in England. Colourful gardens, riverside walks and family friendly cycle trails.
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have just returned from a week’s holiday in Cornwall, with my wife and 4 yr. old daughter. I am about to post a number of reviews of the restaurants, cafes and attractions we have visited and or experienced. I have to say at the outset that there is a plethora of things to do and there is no doubt in my mind that having spent a week there, we have only just scratched the surface. So much to do in so little time. I would highly recommend anyone to visit this wonderful place (Cornwall).

Top Tip – If you are planning to visit any National Trust venues, you would be well advised to become a member prior to your visit. We paid just over £70 for a 12 month joint membership, and we have already recouped our outlay. If you purchase on the day, it would cost you around £90 for the same type of membership. There are so many wonderful places to visit that are held by the National Trust in Cornwall.

When we visited Lanhydrock we split the day in to two. We had a bike ride in the morning followed by visiting the house in the afternoon. We arrived quite early so there were plenty of bikes to hire. I was able to hire a bike with a “tag” so my daughter could be attached to me. If you arrive later on I would imagine that you may struggle to hire a bike. You can of course take your own. There is a modest cost and this is not included in your NT membership. Lanhydrock has a number of different cycle routes with differing degrees of difficulty. We went for the easy green route, and although we did try the slightly more challenging blue route, we quickly went back to green. We spent a good couple of hrs. just cycling at leisure through the woods. We then had a bite to eat in the café before visiting the house.

The house is a good mile or so from the entrance, albeit you can catch a ride in a golf buggy! for a couple of pounds or so. The house itself is fantastic. Wonderful decor and furnishings, and you are allowed to take photos (no flash). I do like the fact that there is also a quiz for children, so we adults can marvel in the house whilst the children are busy looking for the answers to the quiz. There is an additional café and restaurant at this part of the house so there is always availability for a snack. There is also the obligatory gift shop! Be warned…the children will find something to buy!! Overall this is a wonderful day out.

We then finished the day by having a hr. or so in the children’s playground. As it was towards the end of the day, this was not too busy. All in all we arrived just before 10 and we were leaving just after 5. Overall, highly recommended to anyone, young or old.

2  Thank AlexKrycek

Reviewed 16 August 2014

It was raining when we visited so we didn't get to explore the woods or gardens but what a wonderful house. It felt very homely. The history of the house and family were presented in a really interesting way. We really loved it, so much to look at. There was a piano in the gallery and musical members of the public were encouraged to play which was lovely. I didn't have children with me but they catered well for them with things to look for. Afterwards it was off to the stable café for a yummy cream tea which was delicious and really good value for money.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

This must be the jewel in the crown of the National Trust. The house is presented in period style, with authentic decor, furnishings, and even smells. The private church in the grounds is charming, and still working as a parish church. Great atmosphere. Lovely gardens, walks, and bike hire for cycle routes. Great day out for young, old, athletic, or aesthetic visitors.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We were so impressed with Lanhydrock when we visited the first time around 15 years ago that we became National trust members there and then and have been ever since.
Back in Cornwall for a few days we couldn't resist a return visit to see if it was still as good, I am happy to say that it is, there is now a new visitor welcome centre and restaurant, this is a sensible distance and cannot be seen from the house. There is transport available to take less able (or lazy) visitors but its a pleasant stroll through parkland and walking allows time to admire the lovely setting. The house itself is one of the best the trust has, there are lots of rooms open and many of these are servants rooms and extensive kitchens, you really get a feel of life as would have been 150 years ago. The gardens are quite stunning and will take a good while to explore, though the hilly nature means that less able visitors may miss some parts, though there is plenty to see that's flat and level so do not be deterred from a visit.
To Conclude I would say that Lanhydrock is one of the best places to visit in Cornwall and if you are in the area should not be missed.

1  Thank HampshireJellybelly1
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We loved our visit to Lanhydrock. The house was lovely and it was great to see the humble workings of the house - very Downton! There were a couple of fun trails for the kids to do around the house that kept them interested in each room. Lovely gardens to run about and explore in. Next time we might look at the cycle trials and explore the estate more. We are National Trust members and this is one of the best houses we have visited. Lovely day out in the sun.