Lowest prices for your stay
£292
£275
Get rewarded with One Key
Hotels.com
£275
Get rewarded with One Key
All reviews champagne bar courtyard restaurant stunning hotel original features teething problems luxury hotel paranormal tour impressive building bucket list underfloor heating free standing bath high standard every member of staff coffee machine one night stay well worth a visit breakfast room
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 November 2023

I was a guest of the hotel on 17th November 2023. I had booked a Champagne afternoon tea for myself and three friends, as a birthday gift for one of the party. Upon arrival at the hotel we were wowed by the beauty of the hotel and the friendliness of the staff, both at reception and in The Jolly Hangman. We had all agreed that we would love to return and stay at the hotel. However I am bitterly disappointed to say that this feeling was completely lost following our treatment in The Chapel Restaurant and Bar. We were seated upon arrival on a table for 4, tea and coffee was offered but little more interaction than that. I attempted to present my Travelzoo vouchers and explain we had booked the champagne afternoon tea, as we had not been offered this. It was apparent that the staff were too busy dealing with guests that had booked but no table was available for them. After some time our table was approached and our vouchers requested. I handed these to a member of staff and she went away with them. After some delay we were told that we had been seated on the wrong table as our booking was only for two people and it was therefore our fault that the other guests had been unable to be seated. To confirm my booking was for four people as per the two vouchers I had earlier presented. This made us feel very uncomfortable. She went away and brought over a different member of staff, presumably a supervisor? At this stage I was then told that only one of my vouchers was valid and that my credit card had been declined for the other voucher. This was utter nonsense, I bought and paid for two vouchers, in the same transaction, as presented earlier. I would not have been able to print and present the vouchers if they had not been paid for to Travelzoo. I then had to find my original email booking and show this to the supervisor. I cannot tell you the embarrassment of the situation, within your restaurant. The members of staff dissappeared again and after further delay started to bring the afternoon tea out. However, we were asked not to touch it until they had sorted out the vouchers. I have no words to describe how this made us feel, but we obliged. I didn't think the situation could get any worse but the supervisor then came over to our table and said she had to remove one of the afternoon teas, i.e for two people, until it had been proven that I had paid. We were being treated appallingly and at this point I flatly refused to allow them to remove our food and asked for the manager to attend. After yet more delay he finally attended our table, somewhat flustered, and offered a very weak apology and suggested we should just now enjoy our afternoon tea. This was now an hour since we had arrived. The level of apology was poor at best, given our treatment since arrival. My friend reiterated this to the manager and suggested at the very least a complimentary drink would seem appropriate. He agreed this and went away.and we decided to enjoy our experience, despite everything that had occurred previously. No complimentary drinks were brought to our table and sometime later we asked again. It seems that the manager had said to give us one small individual bottle of prosecco but the supervisor brought us two as the one, between four of us was an embarrassment. I wrote to the hotel the following day with the above complaint. They have not had the decency to acknowledge this, let alone respond.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Tina G
Carly Wadham, Guest Services / Front Office at The Bodmin Jail Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2023

Good afternoon Tina,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we have investigated what occurred during your visit and I have reached out to you via email.

We sincerely apologise for the experience you had with us and will ensure it is not repeated.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 26 November 2023

So I stayed here for my birthday with my wife November 25th 2023. The drive up the driveway to the prison is really good. The entrance is amazing when you walk is there is a strange atmosphere but very welcoming. The staff was very friendly and helpful, had to wait for our room to be ready because we was a little early but we was sent to a nice room overlooking the chapel dinning area for complimentary coffee and Tea. Having the jail attraction ticket included helped, seeing the original jail cells was mind blowing. Overall great place and would be going back some other time.

Room tip: Very welcoming for Dogs, chapel restaurant is very expensive.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your wonderful review, we are glad you enjoyed your experience with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 25 November 2023 via mobile

We were really looking forward to afternoon tea today for our anniversary. Although we live in Truro we’ve never been to the hotel and I have to say it looks stunning. Unfortunately, the afternoon tea was unsatisfactory, the sandwiches tasted of nothing, I don’t know why but all we could taste was the thick layer of spread. The fillings were also lacking; as in they were so sparse, especially the egg, it was very hard to detect any at all. The tiny cakes were dry and dense, I have never had dry lemon drizzle cake or carrot cake, very disappointing. The cream for the scones was rock hard and unlike any cream I’ve had before, plus the portion size of cream and jam was severely lacking given you get four scones. I can’t comment on the actual scones as I don’t like them but my husband said they were just ok.

Although the staff were pleasant on arrival and polite and courteous when we were being seated, not once did we get a check back to see how the food was (if we did, we would have told them the above!!). When we finished, the table was cleared but we were still not asked how everything was.

Not a great first impression and based on today we are unlikely to return.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Good morning,

We can't apologise enough for the experience you have had, we are currently working on improving our service, staff training and our delivery of afternoon teas.
I would like to be able to discuss your experience further, My email address can be provided by the reception staff of the hotel.

I hope to hear from you soon,

Reviewed 19 November 2023 via mobile

We stayed for one night in November, just myself and my husband. First impressions the hotel looks amazing, very clean and well kept with a luxury feel. A quick check in and we could explore the hotel and our room.
Each room is made up of 3 cells, which is nicely done to a high standard. The bathroom is huge with a big bath, and walk in shower as well as underfloor heating! The room was cleaned to a high standard and couldn’t fault anything. It was nice to be able to explore the hotel and you can imagine what it used to be as a jail etc. We did originally book into The Jolly Hangman but unfortunately this got cancelled due to them closing it for the winter. We didn’t fancy the Chapel restaurant however found a nice Indian close by (recommend by the hotel) called Viraj which was only a 10 min walk away and was one of the nicest Indian’s we’ve had! Breakfast was really nice and a big selection on offer with the continental style and cooked breakfast to order. We didn’t experience any ‘ghostly’ encounters - unfortunately for my husband! However I was quite happy to have a good nights sleep!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Carly Wadham, Guest Services / Front Office at The Bodmin Jail Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2023

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I will be sure to pass this on to our team.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 19 November 2023 via mobile

We returned to this hotel but this time just for afternoon tea. Excellent , the food was a good selection of sandwiches, cakes , scones with jam and clotted cream ( which one first !!!) Fizz was an option that we couldn’t miss out on. It was situated in the main restaurant ( old chapel).

Trip type: Travelled with family

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your lovely review, we are very glad you enjoyed your afternoon tea with us.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.