“Great Sunday Lunch” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westberry Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Westberry Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Bodmin
Quincy, Illinois
“Great Sunday Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Visited here for Sunday Lunch although I had called in a few days before to book a table there was no recollection of it prior to being seated in the restaurant.
The carvery was excellent and beautifully cooked plenty of choice and very reasonably priced. The service was very good.
I would definitely come back again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

I stayed on my own, was greeted kindly by staff, but the female owner was a very fake cold person, she seemed to see guests as beneath her and that made for a very awkward stay

The food on the other hand was fantastic, and not particularly expensive, overall I was content it was just the overbearing uncomfortable nature of the hostess that ruined my experience

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Ajknott
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Hotel welcome was good all the facilities explained and taken personally to our room. Asked about local attractions and was told about them and given directions. All Good service at the restaurant. Steak was like butter, thought that was a myth but it really was in both the starter and in the main meal. Complimentary glass of wine with evening meal. Will return and take friends as steak was worth a detour.

Room Tip: We stayed in the annexe on the 1st fllor as it was the last room available. Not a problem for us but...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here on many occasion for work purposes without too many issues, but this last visit was my most disappointing.
It states to leave dirty towels in the bath and they will be changed, however I did this and still had dirty towels for the next day(not very good) the showers need attention as on every occasion in various rooms the showers never seem to work more than a trickle, but my most appauling stay in room 27 was finding fleas eating me in the middle of the night on my arms and legs. This made me question if I will stay there again in future.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Paul H
Galway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I was visiting family in the area and decided to stay at the Westberry. As I was staying on my own I was looking for a friendly small hotel and the Westberry did not dissapoint. Upon arrival I was shown around the hotel and brought to my room. The staff are excellent and nothing is too much trouble for them. Breakfast was great and rather than in larger hotels all rush to the cooked buffet, this was table service with an good menu choice. It was also nice to see on the evening menu there was the option to have a smaller mains course which after having a delicious starter I would not of been able to eat the full portion. The only down side was the water pressure in the shower was not good and on one occassion water stopped completly. The rooms are spotless. I will be returning to the Westberry next year.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

We booked a family suite for me, my husband our 1 year old boy and my sister. The adjoining rooms were very clean and had all the basics you would want. The staff were very helpful and went out of there way to provide high chairs etc for our little boy. The food was amazing. We had a wide selection off the menu from the steak to the Thai dishes and all were excellent. Breakfast was equally as good. The only downside is the location, there are few other options for restaurants in the area so it is very limited to the hotel restaurant which can get pricey after quite a few nights. It is handy for Eden project and lost gardens of heligan though being 30 mins away. Overall a very good hotel that we would visit again.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank CaroleEddy
bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

A family wedding brought us to this hotel. It looked a bit depressing from the outside overlooking the estate but we tried to put that aside as we entered reception. The welcome we received i can only imagine was similar to the booking in procedure at Belmarsh. The mature receptionist was gruff, direct and extremely unwelcoming as she snappily looked for our booking and kept repeating"name, name," which we gave her several times. We didn't get"pleasant trip? Need a hand with your bags?" Instead she then launched into the 101 reasons why we couldn't go to our rooms yet (in fairness we didn't expect to check in early as we had family already there for 'getting ready for the wedding' purposes but she didn't seem to listen to us when we explained this). A warm welcome at any establishment sets the tone and that certainly wasn't what we got and we felt sligtly embarrassed at the abruptness. She did lift her pet dog up to the reception table showing us its nether regions which i assume must be a type of regional Cornish welcome, anyway moving on.....

On being given our rooms, our group felt it was like a throwback to the nineties or even eighties. The rooms desperately need a makeover and there was a bizarre Christmas decoration at the top of the stairs - in August? However, the rooms although dated and similar to university halls of residence were CLEAN with tea coffee, bottled water and shower gel/towels. For what we needed at £78 for a double room and ten pounds less for a single wasn't too bad but is still not cheap. The restaurant had clearly had a makeover and was a pleasant surprise but for breakfast the sausages were clearly a bit 'over' their sell by date and my particular breakfast was stone cold.

I'm surprised at the glowing comments on here for this establishment as the experience of our party of ten was its just 'ok'. Is this a place I'd return to? Sorry no and neither would our fellow guests but if all you need is a bed for the night you could do a lot worse. Hope this helps.

Room Tip: The hotel isn't at the sort of location where you have a nice view, it's in the middle of an...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family