“bye bye internet.”

Ruthern Valley Holidays
reading
“bye bye internet.”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I have just come back from Ruthern Valley Holidays and I stayed there for a week, along with my family.
The first thing we noticed was that we had trouble finding the site, as Ruthernbridge is quite small, with many country lanes, which lead my family to get lost on multiple occasions.
We had been driving since 4am and got stuck in traffic on the way, we managed to arrive two hours earlier than the check in time (approx. 4pm), thankfully, the bungalow we booked had been cleaned by then so we were allowed to move in. On arrival, I noticed that the site was fairly small and quiet, which is nice, as it is peaceful. The bungalow was average, simple rooms, but uncomfortable seating.
I think that if you were looking for a nice and peaceful break away, here would be an alright place to stay. The bungalow has one double bed, a kitchen (with seating area and equipped with necessities), a small bathroom, a room with two single beds, and a living room.
As I am 19 years old, and my sister is 14, we are quite tech savvy. We love our wifi, etc. The main reason my family chose this site was because we specifically asked for a place with wifi. As myself and my sister didn't actually want to go away to Cornwall, knowing that they had free wifi, we cheered up and I got excited for the trip. I was soon disappointed when I struggled to connect to their wifi. Whenever it did connect, you were forced to either like their page on Facebook or follow them on twitter (which didn't bother me, however it stated that this allows them to post statuses, see who you're following, etc - which I think is a bit nosy). There was also an option to fill in personal details - which I don't like doing anyway. After having to fill this in many times, the signal would connect, although it would be slow and would cut out (leaving you to fill in your details/sign in again), this got very annoying. This then lead to it not working at all. Now call my family crazy but we brought 3 laptops, two ipods and I had my phone and my tablet. After trying to connect on our laptops, we tried our iPods/phones - nothing. So we turned to the TV (however, there is only 8 channels). I decided to walk around the site and found a play area (which was always very popular through out my holiday). There was also a little farm area where there are sheep, a pig and chickens. I thought this was a good idea because it would connect where food and produce come from for little kids, and it would help them connect to the outdoors. I also found the little pathways in the wood area which were behind the camping sites. I saw many kids with torches run around here. I thought this was a great idea and I know I would have loved running around and pretending this was a secret place if I were little.
When I got back to my bungalow, I tried the wifi again, still nothing. The next day, we talked to the owner and he told us that he'd reset it, on 6 devices we had, we had no wifi the whole holiday (although my mum had brought her laptop to him and magically got it to work. However, I think myself and my sister are tech savvy so I have no idea how he managed this as we thought we tried everything. As we didn't want to bring all our devices to him, we coped with the one laptop).
In the book they leave in your bungalow, they have instructions on how to connect to the wifi, these must have been old as they didn't work and whatever he did to my mum's laptop, wouldn't work on any other device. Throughout the holiday, I noticed people on their tablets and phones trying to get signal (and wifi probably). This was a HUGE disappointment for me because I only wanted to go if there was wifi. In the book, they say that the closer you are to their shop, the better the wifi, however where I was staying was only under a minutes walk away so I would hate to imagine what its like for those further. Although, I'm sure many of you are interested because of the area and it having a 'bringing back to nature' feel. I'm saying that if you are depending on their free wifi, don't, because it's rubbish. I feel like they shouldn't even announce that they have free wifi because it is terrible. I suggest that they get something to boost their wifi because it is clearly their own personal wifi as it's not close enough to reach anyone staying here.
On the other hand, it isn't all miserable. I suggest that it would be a great place to stay for those with small kids, or for those just looking for a relaxing holiday. The site is child friendly and I cannot tell you how popular that park was, every time I went past it there was so many kids.
The area in general isn't too far from towns and villages, so it was nice to visit these and admire the cute villages.
The shop on the site is okay, they supply the necessities. If you would like more variety, there is a sainsburys and a morrissons in the nearby town, Bodmin.
Two attractions I would suggest to those who have kids (/teenagers) or in general, would be the Eden Project and Bodmin Jail. Both are fairly near and interesting. I especially liked Bodmin Jail as it is supposedly meant to be haunted (those with young children, maybe won't like it as much). The jail is very detailed (and cheap) and includes stories and statues.

Overall, I personally didn't like Ruthern Valley Holidays because I do love my internet. Although I do highly suggest it for families with young kids.

Room Tip: - Those closer to the shop are supposedly meant to have better wifi.. - If you are camping, I heard...
1 Thank emma o
ruthern, Owner at Ruthern Valley Holidays, responded to this review, 18 October 2014
So glad that we were able to get you in early.
We must apologise again for the wifi - BT were very slow to come and fix our broadband line. We now have a faster connection and wifi covers most of the site (if you need/want it!).
Kind regards,
Andrew & Nicky

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We were looking for somewhere to take my niece and nephew on a short holiday and came across Ruthern Valley, ideally located between the north and south coasts of Cornwall. The idea of a log cabin appealed and would be something different for the kids. Overall it exceeded our expectations despite some rain on the first day.
The play area and the wood were a real hit with the children and they quickly made lots of friends - in fact it was difficult to drag them away in the evenings and put them to bed! The farm animals provided another interest for the children and frequent visits were made to see the pig.
The cabins & bungalows are all well spaced out and the whole site is very quiet, so it is easy to relax and feel away from it all - helped by poor mobile reception and lack of wifi (although advertised, we could never connect!) The cabins are adequately equipped and comfortable, and the other styles of accommodation also looked good.
The onsite shop sells some excellent locally made curries, the sausages made from their farm are the best ever, and they have a good supply of wines and other essential provisions available. Andrew & Nicola are also helpful in organising or advising about offsite activities such as bike hire or canoeing.

Room Tip: Cabin #1 is a bit apart from the others, but does not get much sun if you want to eat outside. Cabin...
birmingham
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

Very idyllic setting a few miles out of wadebridge. We stayed in a Wigwam which was surprising nice and very spacious for 2 people but maybe not big enough for 5 as advertised. It was well equipped and had a nice little outside area if not a little close to our neighbours. The showers were clean and hot and there are laundering facilities. Well located for trips in to the surrounding area. Be mindful though, there is utterly nothing to do in the evenings. If you are looking to grab a beer or a meal, you are faced with an expensive taxi ride into Wadebridge (aka Royston Vasey). A good family location but maybe a bit remote for those looking for a bit more to do in the evenings.

• Stayed August 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My sister and I have been staying here for 4 or 5 years now and I wouldn't stay anywhere else. This campsite is set in a beautiful location surrounded by pretty woodland and although its close to the main roads its very peaceful.

We have stayed in the static caravans and also the cabins and both offer everything you could need when on holiday the cabins in particular are very roomy and everything is always very clean and tidy. It is also a great place for families with kids and even though I don't have kids and want a quiet relaxing holiday I have never found it to be hectic or noisy even with all the families staying on site.

The owners are very lovely friendly people who make you feel very welcome and will go out of their way to help and ensure you have a great stay with them. The prices are very reasonable and for what you get when staying here its excellent value, you also know that you wont ever be disappointed staying here. I LOVE this place and as I have said I never stay anywhere else!

Also I must quickly add that this location is perfect for travelling absolutely anywhere in Cornwall, we visit mostly for Boardmasters week and its always nice to return to after a busy day out. Cant recommend enough!

Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

I stayed in one of the wigwams at Ruthern Valley Hoidays & from the moment I arrived at I felt like I was at home.
I had a warm, friendly welcome at reception and they were extremely helpful when I was getting my bearings for my few days stay!
The wigwam was such a quirky idea for a camping trip, and I'm so glad I booked it, it was warm in the evening and cool during the scorching days, there was a fridge for my essentials, kettle and microwave. Luckily I did not need the heater, but the option was there had it been needed.
The site was amazingly clean, good toilet facilities with lovely hot showers, washing up and ironing area always immaculately kept. The grounds were beautifully kept and it was so peaceful, I did not want to go back to city life!
I have already told friends about this fantastic find and would 100% recommend staying here - I will most certainly return in the future.

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a week's camping at Ruthern Valley and will definitely be returning. Beautiful location,lovely pretty peaceful site,great pitches, great for children, great shop( which also sells camping gas, perfect if you run out mid week!) We never had to queue for a shower ,which were always lovely and warm and clean. A great spot from which to explore the Camel trail and the rest of Cornwall.

• Stayed July 2013
North Petherton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I booked a wigwam after a recommendation from a friend. I'm so pleased I did. We only stayed one night but wished we stayed longer. The site was beautiful and so quite. The owners couldn't do enough for us from the time we arrived until we left, even giving us sugar from their own supply after we ran out, and the shop had run out. Saying that the shop was very well stock with all you could need. The wigwam had heating, a fridge and a microwave although we only used the fridge. We will definitely visit again soon.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bodmin
Westberry Hotel
Pine Green Valley Caravan Park
Meadow Lakes Holiday Park
Meadow Lakes Holiday Park
#10 of 37 in St Austell

Been to Ruthern Valley Holidays? Share your experiences!