“Great location but room too hot and terrible noise all night”

Lanhydrock Hotel and Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Bodmin
torquay
“Great location but room too hot and terrible noise all night”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This hotel is in a perfect location with amazing far reaching views, the food on the terrace was very good and the waiter service excellent, my room was very spacious and modern, however it was extremely hot with no air conditioning and there was a loud generator sounding noise all night which prevented a good nughts sleep, I have stayed here before on the ground floor and had no noise disruptions, I did notify the receptionist on leaving and she said she will have someone check it out so maybe the next person in room 40 will have a better nights sleep than I did

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

In July 2013, i was taken to Cornwall for a break and Bodmin was chosen as a stopover on the way home

A brand was suggested by my friend who has frequently stayed in Bodmin for the past twenty years or so

I chose the Lanhydrock purely because it was a hotel with a restaurant

I am severely disabled and they were happy to immediately say that they had a walk in shower - full marks

When we arrived there was a gofl tournament in full swing yet reception was quick to answer out entry and our rooms were yards through the adjacent door

Each of our rooms overlooked the 18th hole, had a patio and table and chairs. The view was fabulous as the green acres disappeared into the distance and traffic noise was absent. (When we unwound and totally relaxed, the noise of the nearby A30 was a low unobtrusive hum)

The rooms were very well equipped and comfortable - with somewhere to put the scatter cushions!

The bathroom was very spacious and the large seperate shower with two heads invited a long cool shower.

The shower gel and shampoo were high grade, and reception were quick to provide a shoe shine

The restaurant overlooked the course and our well spaced table was by the panoramic window

Despite the tournament aftermath, the restaurant and food were superb

On the Saturday there was a wedding (only to be expected in such a setting) but the expected noise was absent - because the party was on the other side of the hotel. So I could watch The Stones at Glastonbury in peace.

The breakfast was fabulous with a good selection of juice, fruit and cheese as well as the traditional full bacon breakfast and also fish and eggs cooked to order

We stayed for two nights but I would be happy to sit on the patio for days (The sunshine helped!)

Room Tip: I didn't use any spa facilities The golf course was popular and well kept with loads of buggies...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
london
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

Had a lovely nights stay here, nice clean room overlooking the golf course, unfortunately it wasn't warm enough to sit out at the little table and chair outside the room. Had a good dinner in the bistro in the evening, something for everyone on the menu. The self service breakfast was nice too, hot and cold food. I would stay again.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We have stayed in this hotel on a number of occasions while visiting our daughter in Truro and if you want to have a restful stay in beautiful surroundings then I can fully recommend it.
The staff are friendly and the hotel is family run which shows in the attention to detail.
Unlike many hotels the rooms are well soundproofed for a good night's sleep and the most noise you are likely to hear outside is the sound of the odd passing golf cart.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My wife and I chose this as our base for a 4 day visit to Cornwall and it served us well.
Just south of Bodmin and very convenient for St Austell, Padstow and Rock coastlines. Also only 20 minutes from the Eden Project.
Staff are 'naturally' friendly, with no airs and graces, and happy to share their local knowledge which helped us decide on walking routes etc.
The restaurant was busy with golfing and coach parties, so we ate in the bar which has a reasonable menu. There are breakfast options for all tastes and apetites and I would say this hotel errs towards quantity rather than quality in its food offer.
The bedroom was a little too warm for our liking (no aircon) and we couldn't get a lighter duvet or firmer pillows, which was disappointing. Otherwise the room was well appointed and comfortable. There is no in-room wifi service which is a nuisance.
Overall, the facilities live up to 3-4 star billing and a small 'fitness suite' is currently being built.
We would use this hotel again but probably eat out in the evening next time, as there are a couple of good pubs and restaurants nearby in the Lostwithiel area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
clarebond, Owner at Lanhydrock Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent return visit. It was great to hear that you were made to feel welcome and enjoyed your stay. We continually strive, as a small family operated hotel, to improve our service. Not needing air-conditioning as often as we would like, we do have a supply of stylish electric fans for the bedrooms, delivered on request. Wi-Fi is complimentary in all areas of the Hotel for our guests, along with secure wired broadband connections in all bedrooms. We issue a code to guests on a 24 hour basis. My apologies that you left unaware of this free service. I shall ensure that our Guest Room Folders are updated to this effect. Your comments on our bedding may take a little more time to remedy but we have listened!
Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2013

My brother-in-law died in tragic circumstances on the rocks at Constantine Bay. I had no idea what to do to help and tried to book myself, my sister, his son and step daughter into rooms in Bodmin, where his daughter and fiancé live. I struggled to find anywhere as the Royal Cornwall Show was on. I was directed to try at Lanhydrock Hotel and they had miraculously had 2 cancellations, which I took.
After an 8 hour journey and feeling the end of the world had come we all arrived. The hotel staff understood our needs and offered us nothing but kindness, discretion and service - we were also given the owner's personal mobile number in case we needed anything at any time of the night or day.
As we had eaten little for 2 days we were offered smaller plates and encouraged to choose whatever we felt we could cope with. The food was excellent and the service so warm and so very gentle. The good humour of the Maître d'hôtel even managed to make us laugh.
The rooms were so comfortable and remarkably we all slept well. We stayed 2 nights and would certainly like to return one day in happier circumstances. The view of the well-kept golf course was delightful and breakfast, like dinner, was an assortment of freshly prepared local produce and very good value.
This hotel deserves all its praise and more.

Room Tip: All excellent rooms as far as I can ascertain
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I am sorry but I am out of line with other reviewers who have given the hotel five stars. I agree the staff are very friendly, helpful and charming but the food wasn't very good at all and the place is a bit like an aircraft hanger. I didn't really enjoy the stay and I would compare and contrast with Hotel Cornwall where I enjoyed the stay and the food. Perhaps its me?

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank janner37
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bodmin
St Benet's Abbey
#5 of 9 in Bodmin
Trehellas House
Trehellas House
#1 of 1 in Washaway

Been to Lanhydrock Hotel and Golf Club? Share your experiences!