“Sleeping in the car suddenly seemed appealing....”
Review of White Hart Inn

White Hart Inn
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Bodmin
Roaming here and there
“Sleeping in the car suddenly seemed appealing....”
Reviewed 30 June 2010

The photos are out of date on this site and the pub's website. Do not be fooled. This place is now run down and dire - a shame because it was obviously quite nice at one time.

They did not have our booking as we'd been put down for the wrong week, but said they could sort it if we gave them half an hour. We settled down in the, now very shabby, bar and drank our cloudy ale from dirty glasssware whilst engrossing ourselves in the dual domestics that were going on in the bar and also somewhere near the back of the pub. The rooms, once ready, were comfortable but not quite as nice as the photos would imply. For instance, they don't show the rotting fruit in my waste bin or the unflushed toilet, conatining the previous occupant's bowel movements, in my colleague's room.

Not sure whether the pub comes alive of an evening as we decamped to far better watering holes for the rest of the evening.

Breakfast was served and okay.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Kent
Reviewed 17 October 2009

This truly is one to avoid. Shabby accommodation, an electric socket behind a pillow on the bed, a TV with no ariel, car parts in a cupboard ... just don't go there

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Bodmin hotels

Devon
Reviewed 30 July 2009

I was warned about The White Hart Inn before I went and was told it was a dump
I have read the reveiw and the same problems still exists. Bathromm seat broken toilet roll holder broken bedside lights not working no warbrode and really no where to hang you clothes on The landlady ask if a man could go to the room and look at the electricity mains for the whole INN which was on the side of the window under a botched panel in the bedroom which was a safety hazard when arriving back from a very wet outing the botched up panel was lying accross our suitcase, when asked to get someone up to fixed it nobody came then the landlady came up and tried to fix it but fell off the wall again .For breakfast well what will I say a greasy mess no butter but margarine which was disgusting
Very loud music coming from the bar and the bar was empty just a young lad behind the bar
On returning at 10 30pm the Inn was closed and we had to hammer on the door to be greeted by a very arrogant lad and said they were closed and we could not have a drink until the landlady say we could
On the whole the Inn needed the hotel inspector to go in and clean it it and the landlady was advertising meals which were non existent

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vonneyDevon
West Yorkshire
Reviewed 26 June 2009

If you must go to Bodmin this place is to be avoided unless all else fails in your search for accommodation. When we arrived the entrance door panel appeared to have been kicked in and temporarily repaired with unpainted plywood, adjacent window panes had been replaced by cardboard taped on to the window frame and the bar could not supply draught beer. At breakfast one of our party asked for butter for his toast and was told that none was available only margarine. Not a pleasant experience.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Skipton, North Yorks
Reviewed 22 June 2009

Arrived as one of 8 ageing businessmen on a well deserved walking holiday in Cornwall after experiencing some of the finest hospitality in Cornwall at our previous destinations of St. Ives, Portreath, Perranporth, Newquay and Padstow. Oh my word what a shock! The front door had been smashed in as had several windows. Loud music blaring from a car in the street providing the landlady with music in the beer garden, no draught beer at all in the pub, only cans and bottles, grubby small and less than adequate rooms, and a general feeling of unease about the other clientelle.
Worse was to follow at breakfast with dreadful cheap coffee - we A L L left it! - and only margerine for toast!
The only redeeming feature was the cleaner/cook/waitress - a really nice lady who seemed to suffer in silence whilst putting on a very brave face.
Worse was to come when one of our members found that money was missing from his room - money which was hastily 'found' as soon as the Police had been called.
Avoid this place.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed 20 September 2008

I agree with everything the prior reviewer said. I took the trip alone, but had no real problem. Reservations at the White Hart Inn were the last ones I made before leaving the States; I called the inn directly and spoke with Sue.

My only problem is that I'm older and find stairs uneasy to climb [I'm slow] and I was in the top room. On the Friday which was beautiful, that was fine, but it rained Thursday afternoon, and that was iffy for me because part of the steps were outside and metal. But the weather isn't Sue's doing.

I do get cold easily, so she got me a blanket and a hot-water bottle with a sheep-skin wrap to warm the sheets. I curled up with it that night, but loved the idea of warming the sheets - shades of the Regency period! I think every bed in the UK had a duvet with just a bottom sheet. This is different than I remember from my trip in May 2005, so it must be weather-related.

Sue's owned the inn a little over a year and has been working steadily to bring it up to today's comfort level while retaining the charm of the old inn. I think she's been successful. I've included some of the pictures I took. I appreciate that she's allowed the history of the inn to show, while adding to the comfort and convenience. I know there were workers because I saw them at breakfast Friday, but never saw them during either day.

I had a very good breakfast Friday morning, as well as lunch and dinner on Thursday. Friday morning, I took the bus to Tintagel [via Wadebridge] and spent most of the day out. I was able to leave my bags in my room. Sue said if she had a call for the room, she'd move the bags to her apartment which is on the premises. When I was ready to leave that afternoon, the young man behind the bar retrieved them for me. My apologies to the man, but to me, everyone is young.

I was able to walk about the main part of town for a bit on Thursday and take in some of the history. There is a lot more I didn't see. Bodmin is a town worth visiting just on it's own merits. It's 20 min. to St. Austell which is near the Lost Gardens of Heligan and the Eden Project so Bodmin's a good base for travel. There were a number of other sights that I visited. Rather than go into them, get back in touch if you plan to be in that area.

If you're driving, check with Sue about parking. Poole Street isn't big enough for parking. There is limited space for the Beer Garden. There may be other space I don't know about.

By the way, White Hart Inn is the oldest pub in Bodmin. The date over the fireplace is 1520. The inn is very rustic, but comfortable.

• Liked — My canopied bed and faux fireplace. Wasn't reasonable walking distance to town.
  • Disliked — The stairs.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank RedFoxSaginaw_MI
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bodmin
Premier Inn Bodmin Hotel
#1 of 1 in Washaway
Best Western Fowey Valley
Best Western Fowey Valley
#1 of 3 in Lostwithiel

Been to White Hart Inn? Share your experiences!