“Basic, just a step above camping”
Review of Woodend Chalets

Woodend Chalets
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Banchory
Woodend Chalets
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

Our chalet was clean but poorly stocked. The frying pan was 4 inches wide! At least my double bed was comfortable. Parking is away from the chalets and carrying luggage can be a trek. Having said that the location is lovely and even the untended lawns add to the rustic athmosphere. Its only a short drive to Banchory but you need transport.
My main issue is the manner in how my host was treated. He booked a chalet from Saturday to the following Sunday. He was informed that bookings were from Saturday to Saturday but his booking was accepted. It would appear that Ursula went on holiday but didnt inform her caretaker who also accepted a booking which lead to Ursula emailing my host on the Friday telling us to vacate the following morning by 10am. The tone of the email was quiet short although a phone call made by my host to her was well recieved and she assisted in finding us alternative accomadation for our last night.
These chalets are ideal for UK tourists who have their own transport and can bring their own creature comforts and supplies (and haul it up from the car park) but overseas visitors can give it a miss.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank JoeBo1

Reviewed 14 June 2013

2 of us stayed in one of the small chalets for ten days while working in Aberdeen ,the only good point was proximity to our work.the shower was hopeless ,the bed linen was covered in hair and to top it all off the washing machine and the dryer cost one pound for every 15 minutes! But to put the icing on the cake when we phoned up the owners to tell them we were leaving a day early I was told to make sure you leave the place clean and tidy , I wonder if they tell all their clients this ?thanks but no thanks.

Room Tip: Grounds not looked after covered in nettles and weeds round the chalets and chalet itself cold in th...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 April 2013 via mobile

Our family stayed in Ben Macdui Lodge for three nights as we were attending my niece's wedding in Banchory. Prior to our stay Ursula was very helpful and responded very promptly to my emails. The Lodge is furnished with everything we needed. The kitchen is well equipped with electric cooker with hob, dishwasher and microwave. It was great to have a wood burning fire to keep us warm in early Spring - wood and instructions provided.
The lodge had three bedrooms with a double bed and en-suite, twin beds, and bunk beds which were very comfortable.
There is a small games room, football nets, trampoline and large grass area.
We paid £75 deposit and any electricity used is deducted from this (we used £25 over the weekend but it was cold outside). A cheque for the balance was sent to me the following day.
The chalets and lodges are approx 5 miles from Banchory and there is a bus stop near the entrance.
I would recommend a trip to these chalets and lodges floor a quiet, peaceful break.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Every year we visit Scotland (home) in the Summer and we stay here. This year will be our fourth year and we love it. We prefer the bigger chalets for our family and to be able to sit out on the deck and let the kids play soccer or on the trampoline our just run around the huge grass area, is just bliss. There is a small games room with books, games & table tennis table. And also a washer and dryer for our use. The chalet is furnished with everything you could ever need. Banchory is 5 minutes away by car and their is a bus stop right beside the chalets, should you need that.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2010

When moving to the area we stayed in 'Lochnagar' Chalet and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. The chalet was compact but with 2 bedrooms accommodated a family of 4 comfortably. Furnishings were modern and the TV with DVD player was useful when the weather turned. Heating was provided by electric heaters at an extra cost which worked out at about £30 for week (it was cold and snowed on some days).
The outstanding feature at Woodend is the open grass area where there was a massive trampoline and a wealth of other toys for children to play with. It was lovely to be able to let them play and make new friends without worrying about disturbing others. The games room also proved useful for bad weather days.
The chalets are set in a very nice wooded area 5 to 10 minutes drive from Banchory town centre and there is an hourly bus service into Banchory and continuing to Aberdeen which stops right outside the chalets.
Overall, an excellent choice in an area where it can be difficult to find family friendly accommodation. The owners were very helpful and friendly, proving to be very flexible with start days etc out of season.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank kmkuwap
Reviewed 5 March 2010

I originally stayed at Woodend Chalets with my mum and brother in Christmas 2004, we were put in the Mount Keen cabin and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay there.

So when it came to organising a trip with my husband to Scotland for 2010 that was the place I wanted to stay. It's an excellent base in Banchory to do day trips around Scotland, which we managed to do each and every day.

We had a small problem with our hot water not working in the smaller 1 bedroom cabin Scotly, but the owner quickly found a solution for us, moving us to the larger lodge cabin Ben Macdui. Scotly was lovely, but the lodge was quality.

It had an excellent little kitchen set up and a wood burning fire to keep us warm in the evenings. It was a perfect way to end our day with a cup of hot chocolate (minus the marshmallows as we kept forgetting to buy them!) and a roaring fire crackling away in the background. They had even supplied a green box full of wood for us to use.

My husband loved his stay which was important since this trip included his birthday, so it was important he had a good time. He also was able to do a bit of research into the Keith Clan (of which his family is a sept) and he enjoyed knowing that being in Aberdeenshire he was in their "local area". We had the opportunity to see a number of different wildlife wandering the grounds as well, making the whole stay just great.

The owner was always prompt with all enquiries prior to our stay, she also allowed me to attempt to post out a gift for my husbands birthday and as stated above quick to respond to our one and only problem.

I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2008

2008 was the year I decided to take my children 'home' to Scotland to see where their mother spent her formative years. I'm not Scottish but I grew up there, and my parents have very close, dear friends still in the area and for a few years Grandma had been desparate to show off her Grandchildren.

We knew that we wanted to be there around the Banchory Show (last week in July) but needed to find accommodation for 6 - 2 children aged 3 & 4, me and the husband, Grandma and Grandma's friend who had also lived in Banchory at one point. Accommodation to suit all needs is not that easy to find in the area but a friend suggested Wooden Chalets. We had a look at the website and booked one of the new Lodges.

Communication over the internet was very easy, and always received a prompt and friendly reply from the owner. The family we met during our stay also remarked that this was a reason they booked their stay at Woodend - they lived in Dubai and nobody else was swift to respond to their enquires.

On arrival at Woodend Chalets we were very pleasantly surprised with the standard of accommodation. We had the Clachnaben Lodge, new, beautifully decorated, plenty of room, and with a great views over the children's play area - we could read papers on the decking, enjoying a glass of wine, whilst still able to see the children play on the trampoline, swings, or building themselves a den in the trees. There were fresh flowers to welcome us, milk in the fridge and a peacock sitting on our balcony. With on site laundry room, and playroom with DVD's and VHS tapes to borrow, the small touches made this a fantastic family place to stay.

We'll be back to stay and in fact the family from Dubai, who had been staying in one of the smaller chalets, had a look at our Lodge and booked immediately for the following year.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)