“Broken tiles and thin walls.”
Review of Douglas Arms Hotel

Douglas Arms Hotel
Ranked #5 of 7 Banchory B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I have mixed feelings writing this review. The staff are quite good and friendly, the pub is a nice place for a beer but the rooms are just shocking.
We had room 4 and as the photos show the bathroom is past rescue. Broken tiles on the floor, a water heater from 1982, a squeaky double bed and walls so thin you can hear people talking next door.
Paying 85 pounds for this was really just making the most of a peak period. I noted that another bill was for 65 pounds a night but really I'd suggest this was a 50 quid a night stay.
The hot water from the basin was non-existent. I did wait a few minutes for the water to come through but gave up.
The floor tiles really did not work for me; as they were missing grout and moving as you walked on them, I just felt dirty when in the bathroom, and even after a shower.

The breakfast was also very poor; they ran out of mushrooms which can happen, the rest of the offering was 1 of everything. Service was pretty slow, the juice had run out and not replenished. I did see the chef when checking out and he was hauling a buttie with plenty of bacon and sausages so he doesn't miss out.

The wifi only worked in the bar area; both on laptop and iphone. Nothing doing upstairs, even though signal was showing.

As I said at the start the folks were great but the facilities let the place down and I would not return if the chance came up.

Dinn

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank UteBloke
There are newer reviews for Douglas Arms Hotel

Reviewed 25 May 2013

I got booked here with work as it was a Tuesday and all of my usual hotels in Aberdeen were booked out as it was oil changeover day. I was a little bit concerned as some of the reviews here were not so good - however, I was pleasantly surprised. Right from the word go, staff were friendly and helpful - good size room, and spotlessly clean. For those who left poor reviews, this is not a Marriott or a Hilton - It's a traditional hotel, so don't expect glitz and glam - but it is clean and sufficiently appointed. The bar was excellent with a friendly and knowledgeable bar man, with a wide selection of drinks and spirits - much better that Jury's in Aberdeen centre. Food was top notch - I had the steak, and it was cooked to perfection. Had a good nights rest, alas had to miss breakfast as I had an early appointment, but checkout was quick and easy. Plenty of parking, well situated, good staff and clean - what more could you want, and reasonably priced. I will be staying there again in preference to my other hotels in the area :)

Room Tip: I had room 1 which looked over the main street - it was bright and roomy.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Glenn A
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Poor welcome on arrival. Tv in room kept cutting off. Could feel every spring in the mattress on the bed. Took 10 minutes running tap before hot water came through. No wardrobe in room. Paid for breakfast on arrival was advised to be down for 7.45am but when I went down there was nobody there and no sign of any breakfast!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank 24DouglasP
Management response:Responded 16 April 2013

As Tripadvisor refused to post my initial response, Ill keep this one short.
I hope the reviewer feels a little remorse when his credit card statement comes in and he realises that at no point did we take payment for his stay, by way of an apology for extenuating circumstances, however his opinion means nothing to me as he clearly enjoys slagging my business off to anyone who will listen, I look forward to never welcoming him again.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

We eat here the other day as we were passing through. We were given a very warm welcome by the owner Steven. He was most helpful. We had just planned to have a coffee but after seeing the menu we ate. The food was wonderful. My wife had steak pie which was great. I had the Venison which was cooked med just as I requested. All in all good place. Will be back.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Maryann C
Reviewed 23 September 2012

i had a one night stay when working in the area.
some parts of the hotel are fine other parts are a bit drab and look as if they could do with a spruce up.
my room was ok, it had a double bed which took up most of the space , the tv was ok as was the tea making equipment , there was however a set of pigeon hole type things hanging from the ceiling or wall and were quite hideous things ,the toilet facilities worked a treat but there was some repair work required in the bath surround.
i really enjoyed my dinner in the restaurant but breakfast left a lot to be desired.
i dont think i would use the hotel again and i sure wouldnt use it as a holiday hotel, but , i only stayed for one night which was perhaps enough.
no i wouldnt take my wife there.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank boaz64
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Receptionist at check in was very nice and helpful but after being shown to our room it wasn't at all like any of the pictures on the website, neither was the one our parents stayed in. The compact shower room could do with a bit of TLC; cracked tiles, a broken light above the mirror and a light and shade that sits on and burns your head if you are anywhere near 6ft. The worst thing about our stay was the very thin walls. We weren't disturbed by noise from the pub or the road but was kept awake until 4am by noise from other rooms; televisions, conversations, slamming doors etc. The following morning breakfast was great but the girl serving must have had a bad sleep as I had; breakfast and coffee was launched onto the table and she would obviously have rather been somewhere else, snapping at other customers having their breakfast. She checked us out without any of the polite conversation we had experienced from the other person when checking in; didn't ask how our stay was, no goodbye, nothing, it was like we were an inconvenience. Overall, it was a shame that the thin walls and poor customer service in the morning spoilt the stay. Expected better for £85, will try a B&B next time.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Laura M
Reviewed 6 July 2012

While staying in Banchory we visited the bar on both nights. What a real bar great beer 4 real ales on mid week wekk done.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Banchory
Burnett Arms Hotel
Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House Hotel and Spa
Feughside Inn
Feughside Inn
#1 of 2 in Strachan

Been to Douglas Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!