“Pleasant meal”

Ranked #3 of 37 Restaurants in Banchory
Cuisines: British
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Cowshed is a family owned and managed business. Our philosophy is straightforward: "choose local seasonal ingredients carefully and cook them as simply as possible. Whenever possible we source local ingredients, thus supporting the Aberdeenshire community and providing a showcase for quality, fresh and seasonal Scottish produce. Since opening in 2010, the Cowshed has changed its style of food and service. We now offer a larger and simpler food menu which includes a mix of customer favourites, traditional Scottish dishes and daily specials, sandwiches, paninis, coffee/tea, cakes and bakes. Something for everyone to enjoy throughout the day. As a proud member of the Scotch Beef Club, we serve Scotch Beef PGI. With traceability and unique assurance which begins on the farm of birth, Scotch Beef is high on quality and high on taste.
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Got a late booking Saturday night and was told we needed to be off the table by 8. This was not a problem as we were going elsewhere later.
We were first in but only by a few minutes.
The decor and table layout was good. We had a window seat and the views were excellent.
We ordered fish and the venison and it appeared within 10 minutes which made us wonder if the meal was cooked to order but it was delicious.
Now let's get down to why I did not give this top rating....
The service although good could have and maybe should have been a lot better. Unused wine glasses were not cleared. No spoons for serving the vegetables. Unused cutlery not taken away before dessert arrived. Proper spoon not given for dessert. Lots of little things that build to reduce the experience.
The vegetables served with the main course were rather sparse and the fish looked a little lonely on the plate.
We ordered coffee and that's what we got. Later some meringue was brought over but you just cannot beat tablet or mints with coffee.
All in all we enjoyed our meal but it had the opportunity to be first class.
Would we go back... We probably will sometime.

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Were out for a meal with my mum and dad. The atmosphere was brilliant and the service was really good. There was plenty room for our baby and buggy.
I feel the prawn cocktail should be in a bowl or plate as not the easiest thing to eat out of a tumbler.
We did order latte's at the end of the meal which were cold when they arrived at the table.... but this was rectified when we told tge waitress.
Other than that, the food was brilliant, very tasty and well presented.
Would highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We have passed on many occasions and finally booked for a meal.

My starter a £6.75 selection of cured meats was, extremely disappointing. 5 very thin slices of salami like, meat no bigger than a 50p piece. All tasted the same as they where covered in oil and dill. At £1.35 per piece of meat I was starting to feel robbed before the meal had even started. Not even a bit of salad to beef it up.

My partner had the black pudding started, which was more ample in size and tasty, but nothing special.

At £28 for a steak, my partner was looking for something nice. Comment - the one I cooked from Marks and Spencers was much nicer the week before. His steak had been cooked to perfection, but was not seasoned and lacked general taste. Strangely it was served with gravy not a steak sauce?

I ate the roast rump, again the meat was cooked to perfection, but sadly lacked any taste, as did the gravy which was brown, but lacking any oomf. At £18, I have to say I have eaten a tastier roast just up the road at the garden center at a fraction of the price.

Staff, all very friendly and atmosphere very nice, with beautiful views. Come on Cowshed, get chef to pull the socks up and inject some taste into the cooking. Show the food the season?

It would have been nice to have my taste buds dancing for joy, while enjoying the stunning scenery from our seats.

1  Thank Brokenpoppy
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I have eaten at the Cow Shed a few times now but last nights meal warrants a review. We chose the restaurant for a family reunion because the food has been quite special previously the last visit being 3 months ago.

I won't go into the specific dishes but all six of us were disappointed either in the appearance or quality of the food. We could have got a better meal in an average pub. The menu has changed for the worse, the quality of the food has changed for the worse. The only saving grace was the waitress who had a sense of humour as we were trying to make light of the evening.

The whole thing was also obscenely over priced.

Needless to say we won't return nor recommend the Cow Shed. It was a very sad disappointment.

5  Thank Alicia64ABZ
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The food was its weakness plus a rather poor cafeteria atmosphere. The service was okay contrary to reviews. The menu was unexciting but not competive. The views are good but you don't eat these. The menu was not close to sample online menu. Vegetables were uninteresting and plain.

1  Thank Mike E