“Good food but waitresses could be more welcoming”
Review of Cow Shed

Cow Shed
Ranked #7 of 35 Restaurants in Banchory
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Cowshed is a family owned and managed business. Our philosophy is straightforward: "choose local seasonal ingredients carefully and cook them as simply as possible. Whenever possible we source local ingredients, thus supporting the Aberdeenshire community and providing a showcase for quality, fresh and seasonal Scottish produce. Since opening in 2010, the Cowshed has changed its style of food and service. We now offer a larger and simpler food menu which includes a mix of customer favourites, traditional Scottish dishes and daily specials, sandwiches, paninis, coffee/tea, cakes and bakes. Something for everyone to enjoy throughout the day. As a proud member of the Scotch Beef Club, we serve Scotch Beef PGI. With traceability and unique assurance which begins on the farm of birth, Scotch Beef is high on quality and high on taste.
Bradford, England, United Kingdom
“Good food but waitresses could be more welcoming”
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

The quality of the food served is excellent and plentiful. It is a little costly but well worth it. Two young waitresses could do with learning to smile and be welcoming as the older waitress was. Wouldn't stop me returning for another meal

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Mandy S

Ediburgh, Scotland
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We had dinner during our trip to Banchory, having done a lot of research on Trip Advisor and elsewhere.
We found it very quiet though it was a Wednesday. Only one other small family there. It is a triumph of style over substance. Rather pretentious in interior design. Better suited to London. Staff looked like they had lost the will to live and made no attempt to be friendly. The food was decidedly ordinary- we both had veal schnitzel which had hardly any meat at all and covered in an overly thick layer of breadcrumbs. I'm a little puzzled about it's qualities as a cookery school therefore. Nice glass of wine though. Quite expensive too.
The final straw was getting into the car to travel home and finding the tops of my trouser legs covered in marks which I can only assume came from a bar across the underside of the table. An expensive dry cleaning bill resulted.
We had a far better experience at Buchanans in every way. About half a mile away.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank stanley6259
London, United Kingdom
“Overpriced and small portions”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

Whilst visiting my parents and with the rare opportunity of having babysitters, my husband and I booked a table for dinner. We had driven past the restaurant many times and always meant to try it.

On arrival with ample parking and a beautiful setting we were thrilled to be there and looking forward to the food. The restaurant looks lovely and wonderfully clean with a great atmosphere.

We ordered our food and were given a basket of bread and butter. Sadly the butter was so warm and soft and the bread not equally sliced that we thought it may have come straight off another table, not a great first impression. My husband ordered the fish starter and it was a tiny portion of just two fillets and looked very lonely on the plate with no garnish. I had the black pudding which although tasty looked most unappetising and very brown ( brown gravy, black pudding and pulled beef ). It needed perhaps a white fluffy mash in between to add contrast. We held on to hope for the mains.

I ordered the fish which was just more fillets than the starter, which came with a side plate of vegetables and boiled potatoes cut in half which unfortunately I realised were to be shared with my husband ( really small portion ). My husband had the beef which was tasty but not worth the price. So to the pudding...

I ordered the creme brûlée which was tasty, but the plate was just plonked down in front of me, it would have looked better on a dish with perhaps a berry or two on top? My husband ordered the cheese board. It was definately not a BOARD! It contained one cracker, two slices of cheese and a dry apricot/chutney garnish. Definately not worth the price!

Our bill came to just shy of £100 and we were so disappointed. We live in London and attend many high end restaurants and are happy to pay a high cost but where the food and service reflects the price. We shall not be returning to the Cowshed and will advise our friends the same.

A few hours after once home I was actually very sick which only compounded our thoughts on the food!

Sent from my iPad

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank Tillyburnie
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Pleasant meal”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Got a late booking Saturday night and was told we needed to be off the table by 8. This was not a problem as we were going elsewhere later.
We were first in but only by a few minutes.
The decor and table layout was good. We had a window seat and the views were excellent.
We ordered fish and the venison and it appeared within 10 minutes which made us wonder if the meal was cooked to order but it was delicious.
Now let's get down to why I did not give this top rating....
The service although good could have and maybe should have been a lot better. Unused wine glasses were not cleared. No spoons for serving the vegetables. Unused cutlery not taken away before dessert arrived. Proper spoon not given for dessert. Lots of little things that build to reduce the experience.
The vegetables served with the main course were rather sparse and the fish looked a little lonely on the plate.
We ordered coffee and that's what we got. Later some meringue was brought over but you just cannot beat tablet or mints with coffee.
All in all we enjoyed our meal but it had the opportunity to be first class.
Would we go back... We probably will sometime.

Visited August 2014
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Happy cow (excuse the pun) :-)”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Were out for a meal with my mum and dad. The atmosphere was brilliant and the service was really good. There was plenty room for our baby and buggy.
I feel the prawn cocktail should be in a bowl or plate as not the easiest thing to eat out of a tumbler.
We did order latte's at the end of the meal which were cold when they arrived at the table.... but this was rectified when we told tge waitress.
Other than that, the food was brilliant, very tasty and well presented.
Would highly recommend this restaurant.