“Disappointing”

Ranked #3 of 36 Restaurants in Banchory
Cuisines: British
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Cowshed is a family owned and managed business. Our philosophy is straightforward: "choose local seasonal ingredients carefully and cook them as simply as possible. Whenever possible we source local ingredients, thus supporting the Aberdeenshire community and providing a showcase for quality, fresh and seasonal Scottish produce. Since opening in 2010, the Cowshed has changed its style of food and service. We now offer a larger and simpler food menu which includes a mix of customer favourites, traditional Scottish dishes and daily specials, sandwiches, paninis, coffee/tea, cakes and bakes. Something for everyone to enjoy throughout the day. As a proud member of the Scotch Beef Club, we serve Scotch Beef PGI. With traceability and unique assurance which begins on the farm of birth, Scotch Beef is high on quality and high on taste.
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We regularly had lunch at the Cow Shed when it first opened and it was 1st class. We were disappointed when they stopped doing lunch so I was excited last week when I heard they were opening for lunch again
The menu was not very interesting the food mediocre. The staff were pleasant. The view was still wonderful.
We will not be going back We have had much better meals at Buchanans and Milton Brasserie recently.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Decided to stop for dinner at the Cow Shed after work. I was the first to arrive after they opened at 18:00.

Firstly. The location is fantastic. Get a table by the window so that you can sit and soak in the Aberdeenshire countryside. The wind blowing, making waves. The fields look almost like the ocean. The clouds drift by and rays of sun paint the fields in yellow and orange. And the big tree in the distance make me want to run out and climb it.

Then the food. The kitchen could compete with McDonalds when it comes to rapid delivery. I had a starter, main course and dessert. All delivered in 40 minutes from the time of placing my order. No time to enjoy the views here...

Crispy north sea lemon sole fillet as a starter. The portions are not big, but ok. This is basically the fish in your standard fish and chips. Nothing out of the ordinary, but tasty.

The fillet of beef as a main was a disappointment. Two pieces of beef and half a tomato served with french fries. No vegetables. I asked for the beef to be medium. It was over-cooked and grey.

By the time I finished the mains I was decided on stopping there. No dessert. But, then I decided to give the chefs the benefit of the doubt. Could the main have been just bad luck?

I ordered the chocolate brownie and a cup of black coffee. I didn't want to push my luck by ordering the crème brulee or panna cotta. The brownie appeared to by heated using a microwave oven. No texture, no taste. Like a heated marshmallow.

I ordered a glass (175ml) of white wine with the starter and a glass (250ml) of red wine to go with the main. They served the two wines in the same type glass, and there was more white than red. The wines were nothing to write home about.

No bread was offered. I only later noticed this must be ordered from the starters menu.

All in all. This meal was a real let down. This could be such a fantastic place. I really cannot understand the 2014 Michelin badge at the entrance.

The waiters seem bored and don't offer much to improve the experience. Sorry, but I cannot recommend that you visit this place and I will definitely not return

Total cost was GBP 60.

6  Thank Roger G
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Stopped off here as part of a long journey due to it's presence in the Good Food Guide. The door was dripping with accolades and it was signposted as a tourist attraction from the main road a mile away so I was expecting quite a lot here.

No problem getting a table without reservation on a Wednesday about 7pm. Dining room pleasant, bright and airy: all modern furnishings (although the chairs had uncomfortable hard wooden backs).

Staff were perfectly efficient and polite if not exactly cheerful but that's hardly a criticism.

The big problem was the food: ordered "North Sea Lemon Sole With Tartar [sic] Sauce" at £7.95 as a starter. Without exaggerating, TWO MINUTES LATER a small plate containing two deep fried goujons of sole and a blob of tartare sauce arrived. No garnish, no seasoning, no attempt at presentation, no offer of bread or butter. The thing looked and tasted like it was bought out of Iceland and reheated in a microwave.

When that was cleared the main arrived within a further 90 seconds. Four venison schnitzels in some sort if black cherry sauce which completely didn't work and a separate plate containing some dry green beans, mange tout and boiled potatoes with skin hanging off. Again, nothing had been seasoned and the speed had me curious as to whether the venison schnitzels were frozen too. £17.95.

Now, for £17.95 would it not be reasonable to expect that someone could take some time to prepare a fresh piece of meat or fish and present it on a plate, creatively, with salad/veg and some form of carbohydrates?

Add a bottle of water and I was in and out in under half an hour almost £30 worse off.

This is not the fine dining that it purports to be by paying to be in guidebooks. It is canteen style food, served at canteen speed at Rosette level prices.

2  Thank John_Fuss
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

The quality of the food served is excellent and plentiful. It is a little costly but well worth it. Two young waitresses could do with learning to smile and be welcoming as the older waitress was. Wouldn't stop me returning for another meal

1  Thank Mandy S
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We had dinner during our trip to Banchory, having done a lot of research on Trip Advisor and elsewhere.
We found it very quiet though it was a Wednesday. Only one other small family there. It is a triumph of style over substance. Rather pretentious in interior design. Better suited to London. Staff looked like they had lost the will to live and made no attempt to be friendly. The food was decidedly ordinary- we both had veal schnitzel which had hardly any meat at all and covered in an overly thick layer of breadcrumbs. I'm a little puzzled about it's qualities as a cookery school therefore. Nice glass of wine though. Quite expensive too.
The final straw was getting into the car to travel home and finding the tops of my trouser legs covered in marks which I can only assume came from a bar across the underside of the table. An expensive dry cleaning bill resulted.
We had a far better experience at Buchanans in every way. About half a mile away.

1  Thank stanley6259