“5 Day Break”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Weston-super-Mare
The New Ocean Hotel
Ranked #9 of 28 Hotels in Weston-super-Mare
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“5 Day Break”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My wife and I and 40 plus friends have just returned from a Monday to Friday holiday at this Hotel The Hotel in General was very good, the food and service was excellent, It is the first time I have stopped at a hotel that offers a choice 3 types of smoked fish for breakfast. You also had the choice of large or small portions for the evening meal, another bonus point.
The staff were always friendly and helpful.
There are a couple of things that I feel I must point out . The heating was uncomfortable in the dining area,(I had a radiator behind me which was turned on fully.) It was so hot that I was unable to put my hand on it at all, in some of the rooms guests were unable to turn the heating off and there was very little circulation of air throughout the hotel, this lead to very uncomfortable nights and loss of sleep.
I personally was very disappointed with the availiability of well known brands behind the bar, only one branded whisky, no branded gin,brandy white rum, malt or Irish whiskeys were available. I aked if it was possibe to obtain a well known brand of Irish whiskey , 4 of us would have been drinking it all week. This request was not acted upon On Thursday the bar had no slimline tonics, Lemon or Rose' wine. Cheap and cheerful spirits were availiable but they are not to everyones taste.
The entertainment on Monday ,Tuesday and Wednesday was very good but Thursday was very poor. 3 games of Bingo that started at 9pm and finished at 9.25 that was it.. There was some background music but we were unable to dance as the dance floor was covered with the dining room tables and the music was barely audible.
The group I was with have been on 20 plus coaching/hotel holidays together and The last night has always been the party night. Not this time. I was in bed by 10.15 first time ever on holiday, there were others (not in the same bed)
Generally the Hotel was good but the bar and Thursday night was a letdown for lots of us.
Will we return, who knows.

Room Tip: In Room 203 you are able to control the heating
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ray e
Gerald R, Owner at The New Ocean Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for your comments. We are sorry if you found the dining room too hot, this has now been rectified. We hope you will visit us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

me and a friend has just came back from this hotel .we found it very good friendly staff entertainment was good..food was lovely very quick hot and all fresh .really clean rooms cleaner are in cleaning every day ..really cant think of anything to complain about ..im going back later in the year

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank 39christine
Gerald R, Owner at The New Ocean Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for your kind comments, we look forward to seeing you again later in the year.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Eight ladies stayed at the New Ocean Hotel 4th to 7th April to celebrate a friends 50th birthday and we were extremely impressed from start to finish. Hotel staff including Jack, Brad, Jesus, Luiz and Kate were accommodating, friendly and more than helpful, the food was superb and plentiful and the rooms/communal areas spotless !! Thank you all for a great time, would definitely stay again !!!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front will have beautiful sea views
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Gerald R, Owner at The New Ocean Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for your kind comments about our staff.We are pleased you all enjoyed the birthday weekend and hope to see you all again in the future.
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We came here for Easter weekend, Excellent stay, room was clean and tidy, a tad bit small but nothing major. We had a sea view which is a must, well worth the extra money. Upon arrival we were greated by a very nice lady (sorry don't know her name) and young lad, very helpful (think his name was Jack) Food was nice, portions are massive, could do with being on the smaller side with option to have more. Service at meal times was excellent, well done to all involved, I would say though its all served a bit to quick, 3 courses in half hour. Yes the TV is a tad bit small, but who goes away to watch TV. Shower/bathroom clean and tidy and roomy. There was a mix of ages which was good. Would definately recommend and am looking forward to my next visit already. Nice surprise was a little Easter egg hidden in our coffee cup in Easter morning, nice touch. Entertainment was good although would like something a bit more modern on one of the nights. Due to the age range (there was a couple in their late teens/early20's) not everyone likes 60's music. But thats just my opinion, it wouldn't and hasn't put me off going again. One review I read stated that the mattress was old, I didn't find this, on all 3 nights I had excellent sleep, its a quiet part on Weston, even the seagulls didn't wake us up.

Room Tip: Definitely a sea view - worth paying the extra for.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sally0909
Gerald R, Owner at The New Ocean Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for your comments. We do offer smaller portions on request at meal times. We look forward to welcoming you to the New Ocean Hotel again.
Walsall
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the New Ocean from 18th to 21st April to celebrate my in laws 60th Wedding Anniversary (party of eleven) including my 3 year old granddaughter & I must say we have had a great weekend, the staff were brilliant always polite & more than helpful, the food was great & punctual service every time.
The entertainment on Friday was really good with the artist creating a great atmosphere & playing non stop from about 8.45 till turned 11pm.
I must be honest the entertainment on the next two nights wasn't as good in my opinion, a duo on Saturday who to be fair sounded ok but the male member (who also called a game of bingo prior to their set)was too much of a thing, like an aged red coat & a bit annoying for my liking.

But that hasn't detracted from the lovely weekend we have had. A big Thank you to everyone for their & hard work goes out all the staff .

Dave Carnall

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Dave C
Gerald R, Owner at The New Ocean Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for your kind comments about the staff. We do work hard to ensure everyone enjoys their stay with us. We are pleased the anniversary celebrations were enjoyed by everyone.
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

having stayed at the hotel a couple of years ago over the Christmas period we were delighted with the service so my husband and I booked again.we stayed from the 4th to 7th of April 2014 and we were not disappointed the hotel had been refurbished the rooms were spotless.the meals were plentiful and the staff were all accommodating nothing to much trouble for them.If you stay from a Friday to a Monday there is a free bar from 6pm to 10pm with entertainment from 8pm to 11pm.we will certainly be back.

Room Tip: room 207 looking over the sea.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank margaret c
Gerald R, Owner at The New Ocean Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for all your kind comments. We look forward to you welcoming you back in the future.
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

On a 5 day trip with Opal travel,(who are very good) stayed at New Ocean, on arrival our bedroom was a little small (actually rabbit hutch comes to mind) but after saying we we not satisfied we were given the keys to 2 other rooms which were excellent, we opted for 312 a very light & airy room with plenty of space, the postage stamp (television) on the wall was very small, I have never been in a hotel with such a small TV however this is a minor detail, The hotel was clean and comfortable and the staff were exceptional, especially the waiters who were always smiling and couldn't do enough for you, also reception were very helpful in finding us a lovely room, The food was not 5 star but very good homely fare,well cooked and good portions and the icing on the cake was the free bar every night from 6-10 pm, don't know now they do it.

It is a little gem of a hotel and would thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: Avoid room 316, very small and bathroom minute, room 312 very bright and airy
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Bird29
Gerald R, Owner at The New Ocean Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for your comments. We always try to satisfy our guests requirements and we are glad you were pleased with your room.