“Really good but one point soured my experience.”
Review of Yo-Ji

Yo-Ji
Price range: US$33 - US$41
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Really good but one point soured my experience.”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Fabulous meal had by my partner and myself. We tried a whole host of different things, and although the bill came to over £85, we were out for a treat so it wasn't too much of a shock! It was up there with some of the best Japanese food I have eaten outside of Japan. They did this one temaki sushi called the 'dynamite' and it was literally one of the nicest things I've ever put in my mouth! However, when ordering udon noodles, I was disappointed to be presented with something much more like standard flat, thin soba noodles and not the thick large noodles I believed I was ordering. When I queried this and said I wasn't happy, I was told in a rather abrupt and defensive manner that they were indeed authentic Japanese udon noodles and I could look at the packet if I wanted to. I was slightly taken aback at the aggressive lecturing and declined, stating that I just wasn't happy with the dish and could they take it away. The waiter came over later on saying that one of our temaki sushi dishes would be free of charge as they 'wanted happy customers'. I felt that from then on his previously charming manner actually felt fake and patronising, due to the fact I had seen his angry and accusing side. I later researched udon noodles (as every udon dish I had ordered in Japan had contained the same style noodles I was accustomed to) and found that there are many varieties of udon, but the medium-large thick ones are the most common. This is the only reason that I am not giving a five star rating - the fact I was spoken to as if I was stupid because the plate I ordered was not what I rightly expected it to be. In fact, if you google image 'udon noodles', the majority of the pictures are the type I was expecting!! I eat udon dishes a lot and they have always been the common thick variety in other establishments, and so I feel I was treated unnecessarily harshly just for saying it was no the dish I wanted. I am not sure we will be visiting again. :(

2 Thank KookyRedHead

• Greek first
  • Korean first
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
“Too much noise”
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

The boss had his family in tonite. Too many children running around. We went in for a nice romantic evening. The prices that are charged should mean that this restaurant is not treated as a playground! Don't think we'll be back for a very long time!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank susan_goodland
“disappointed”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

really disappointed. After reading online that your restaurant closes at 10.30PM, I made sure I left my concert early to get a take away on my way home. Upon my arrival at 9.45pm, 45 minutes before closing, I was told that the kitchen was off and that me and my 3 guests were unable to have a takeaway. As a loyal customer (once a week), I feel that I have been mistreated. The upside is that I went to the restaurant next door and found that not only were the more than happy to give us a takeaway, but the food was to a much higher standard too. I shall be using them in future, and you have lost a loyal customer

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Excellent lunch”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Decided to try this Japanese restaurant while visiting Weston. Visited Saturday lunchtime and was pleasantly surprised to find they do full menu choice for lunch. Food was excellent and very reasonably priced for a Japanese Restaurant. The staff were friendly and helpful. Will definitely visit again for an evening meal possibly on a Sunday when they do buffet for £19.95 good chance to try out different food

Bristol, United Kingdom
“First time”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I am a big fan of sushi and Yo-Ji doesn't disappoint. I visited on a Friday night for the first time with a party of 10, it was busy. There was the odd gap when some of the party had food and others were waiting, plus occasionally the party struggled with the volume of music which is why I haven't reviewed as excellent, however the staff were very attentive and the food was superb. A very modern stylish restaurant where the chef cooks in front of you, a vast menu, great wine choices (delicious Merlot), I will definitely go back.