“Disappointed”
Review of Yo-Ji

Yo-Ji
Price range: US$33 - US$41
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Went on a Sunday evening for the buffet meal, there were 10 of us and have to say were moved quickly from waiting area to a table, but then we were left for a long time before anyone came to explain what the procedure was, in the end we had to stop someone and ask them to tell us what to do. 1person in the group wanted a set meal not the buffet and ordered this. It was a very limited choice on the buffet and when you take out the rice and noodles there was only a chicken curry, sushi and tempura fish or prawns all of which you had to wait for as they were only cooking small amounts at a time, and I mean 10 to 15 prawns at a time, we were 9 on our table plus another couple of 4 tables all eating at the same time...All the tables were literally rushing up to get the food as it came out and before it all disappeared. Not a great way to have to get your meal...
We were then asked if we wanted either chicken or pork for the main meal. At this point we had still not received the single meal that had been ordered and again we had to ask someone where this was...when the main course did arrive the chicken was very salty and the pork seemed to be in two different sauces but was very over cooked and very chewy. The salmon that was the single diner had was very good and although had a long wait for it was good.
The chef was not cooking out on show everything was done in a kitchen which was disappointing the music was way too loud and didn't seem to be enough staff around, felt like you were being a nuisance to them. Certainly didn't think that there was enough variety of food choices it was demeaning waiting for fresh food to come out then having to rush to get some... There are far better buffets around for less money and apart from the sushi wouldn't say that anything was very Japanese specific. Can't think of anything to say except disappointing after our expectations. Everyone agreed that they wouldn't be returning for a second try.

2  Thank lakeside71

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I have eaten sushi before but it was the first time for my friend.
She has always wanted to visit but never had anyone to go with.
We had the Executive Sushi, 24 pieces for £26.
My friend said "It was lush, I was very impressed"
We both really loved the eel.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Fabulous meal had by my partner and myself. We tried a whole host of different things, and although the bill came to over £85, we were out for a treat so it wasn't too much of a shock! It was up there with some of the best Japanese food I have eaten outside of Japan. They did this one temaki sushi called the 'dynamite' and it was literally one of the nicest things I've ever put in my mouth! However, when ordering udon noodles, I was disappointed to be presented with something much more like standard flat, thin soba noodles and not the thick large noodles I believed I was ordering. When I queried this and said I wasn't happy, I was told in a rather abrupt and defensive manner that they were indeed authentic Japanese udon noodles and I could look at the packet if I wanted to. I was slightly taken aback at the aggressive lecturing and declined, stating that I just wasn't happy with the dish and could they take it away. The waiter came over later on saying that one of our temaki sushi dishes would be free of charge as they 'wanted happy customers'. I felt that from then on his previously charming manner actually felt fake and patronising, due to the fact I had seen his angry and accusing side. I later researched udon noodles (as every udon dish I had ordered in Japan had contained the same style noodles I was accustomed to) and found that there are many varieties of udon, but the medium-large thick ones are the most common. This is the only reason that I am not giving a five star rating - the fact I was spoken to as if I was stupid because the plate I ordered was not what I rightly expected it to be. In fact, if you google image 'udon noodles', the majority of the pictures are the type I was expecting!! I eat udon dishes a lot and they have always been the common thick variety in other establishments, and so I feel I was treated unnecessarily harshly just for saying it was no the dish I wanted. I am not sure we will be visiting again. :(

2  Thank KookyRedHead
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

The boss had his family in tonite. Too many children running around. We went in for a nice romantic evening. The prices that are charged should mean that this restaurant is not treated as a playground! Don't think we'll be back for a very long time!

1  Thank susan_goodland
Reviewed 29 June 2014

really disappointed. After reading online that your restaurant closes at 10.30PM, I made sure I left my concert early to get a take away on my way home. Upon my arrival at 9.45pm, 45 minutes before closing, I was told that the kitchen was off and that me and my 3 guests were unable to have a takeaway. As a loyal customer (once a week), I feel that I have been mistreated. The upside is that I went to the restaurant next door and found that not only were the more than happy to give us a takeaway, but the food was to a much higher standard too. I shall be using them in future, and you have lost a loyal customer