“3 STARS.........WHAT A JOKE THOSE STARS ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Review of The Sunfold

The Sunfold
The Sunfold
Reviewed 2 August 2010

My experiance at the Sunfold
Dirty,Dusty,Draughty,Cramped,Shower either cold / Hot / Freezing /Scolding those were the options.The room was up six flights of stairs the door rattled so badly we had to put cardboard in to get some sleep.The toilet was across a small landing that was also dirty and dusty.Breakfast was poor quality cheap brands and variety was very poor.The entire place needs redecorating,refurnishing and maybe the owners should do some training on Communication and Hospitality. As on arrival we were greeted by a miserable woman who didnt even say hello or show us to our rooms,just gave us our keys told us where the rooms were and said "dont make a noise when you come in at night" Not the way to greet your paying guests.How very rude of her!
As you may have guessed by this review i will not be staying here again.Will not be recommending it. May i suggest that the 3 star rating it has is reviewed as they are a JOKE!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank simples016

Reviewed 26 July 2010

Surprised at some of the other reviews, I found the Sunfold a very pleasant stay. I mean do you really expect extraordinary luxury for £30 per person per night? The building is indeed old and the decor outdated but this was one of the features of the Sunfold that makes it feel homely and what I felt gave it a retro edge to it. The staff were very welcoming and often engaged in friendly conversation with the guests.
The breakfast that they served was possibly the cutest full english I have ever seen, 1 sausage, 1 bacon, 1 egg, half tomato, small pile of beans, 3 mushrooms and 3 small potatoes... and an abundance of toast and drinks. It was all very tasty too.
Definitely coming back next year!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2010

Stayed for a two night weekend break in July. When we arrived the small carpark for 4 was full, It was not a major problem as the streets round the area provided parking for us. The hotel / guest house was in many ways a typical english seaside hotel, an old building with many floors. We were at the top by choice as we wanted a sea view. Whilst 4 floors up once there the view was worth it, The room was a liitle strange it had a shower that was in a corner, with a sink in the room. The ensuite wc was the other side of the short passage way that made up the room. There was a double glazed patio type door that lead out onto the balcony that looked across the sea / beach. There were a couple of deck chairs in the wardrobe that with the good weather we took advantage of. The breakfast was good with plenty of toast if you want it with the staff happy to help, the chef /owner came round every morning to say hello and check if everything was ok, something we thought was a nice touch. Overall the hotel was ok with a great view from the room that helped us to accept the price of £70 a night for the room. The location is good for the town and pier area, that said the problem was when we were there the town was being refurbished, as a result there was quite a lot of dust about. This work was not due to finish until september 2010

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2010

I'm not sure where the other people who wrote reviews about the Sunfold stayed because i'm sure it wasn't the same hotel, they only said bad things about it.

We found the staff very friendly and welcoming, the room was clean and comfortable, The breakfast was excellent, hot , tasty and plenty of it, The staff had breakfast down to a fine art, service was good, quick and very well organised.

The hotel location was good, just across the road from the sea front, easy walking distance to the town and all other amenities.

We really enjoyed our two night stay it was a shame we couldn't stay longer. We hope to visit again and will be telling our friends about the Sunfold, really good value for money,

Parking could sometimes be a problem, only limited space but not too bad as there were car parks quite close and not too expensive, also free parking in some side roads close to hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2010

We cut our stay short in part due to personal circumstances but in the main as neither of us could face another poor night’s sleep.
The parking on the front is for 4 cars, double parked. When parking I was waved right onto a concrete beam which scratched the underside of my bumper. I’m not car proud so I wasn’t that bothered. I drive a Skoda Octavia and even being over the concrete beam, my rear still invaded the rear parking spot. The parking is suitable for 4 minis or similar. Made me laugh though as it turned out we were the only guests and no other cars were parked on there whilst we stayed, so why were we encouraged to squeeze in?
Our welcome was somewhat hurried as the owner wanted to go out. Warning signs rang when I was expected to pay for the rest of my stay in advance before seeing the room, despite 50% deposit already paid on booking.
I asked about breakfast times 845-930 I was told but there would be further info in room. There wasn’t. We enquired about the internet but needed to go back down 4 flights to collect the passcode. As it was the signal was so poor we were unable to connect in our room.
As I said we were 4 flights up, in the room with the balcony, as seem on website. As it is the only photo of a bedroom that appears on any web site I assume it is the best room. Excellent seaview. The ensuite though consists of a shower hidden behind a sliding wooden door in the alcove, a sink in the room and a toilet across (a private) corridor. The toilet has no heating and reminded me of my nan’s outside privy. The room itself has an electric heater and smelt damp but it was February and snowing in parts of the country.
The bedding was clean but the quilt was as thick as a postage stamp which meant leaving the heater on at night. I normally sleep with my window open at home so I am quite hardy but I was so cold and the heater made such a noise my sleep was nonexistent.
On reporting that in the morning we were told there was a spare blanket in wardrobe. Looked later -it wasn’t there.
TV is modern with good picture and free view.
Breakfast was freshly cooked to order but again dining room was like a fridge. A small electric fan was heater seen but not on. Cereal & fruit buffet poor selection, 3 cereals and either a Satsuma, tinned fruit cocktail or tinned grapefruit. We expected bar & dining room to be dated as seen on pictures on web site and it is.
Full English was 1 bacon, 1 sausage, 1 eggs, 3 small potatoes, 1 mushroom & choice of beans or tomatoes.
Host was very friendly and drinks and toast flowing freely. Had to ask for marmalade, though.
I think bedroom was disappointing when paying £70 for a double per night I expect more. When I compare it to other B & Bs I have stayed in with similar rating and price, it was far below the standard. I think if I had been paying £40-50 I'd have thought you get what you pay for. Its definitely not worth £70 and I felt ripped off..
Hosts were trying to be nice but no offer of refund when we checked out at 11am after night 1, even though we had paid for 2 nights. Did offer my son a discount, he plans to return in the summer, as the balcony is a good vantage point for T4.
Youth don’t mind roughing it but his mum likes a bit of luxury, so I wont be returning..

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank maths_teacherRugby