“Poor” 3 of 5 bubbles

Tonypandy, United Kingdom
“Poor”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Had lunch here today 20oz mixed grill advertised not for faint hearted,
Must have been the price £13.50 Coz I was still hungry and was extremely dissatisfied with portions, Girlfriend had rump n scampi £9.45 was nice but again not worth money. Both plates were exactly same size considering mine was 20oz

• Stayed August 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

this was a surprise birthday my darling girlfriend had booked a few weeks back. we got there we had a few drinks before we could check in nice big place, so my girlfriend went on to check us in,we had a big surprise we got to move to a better room number 6, we had a storm coming where we was,some staff was friendly and others was look like I don't what to be here, there was a few issues we had. when this was booked my girlfriend was told that you cater for vegetarians, that's why she booked this place, so on Monday 11th August my birthday and when I ordered my veggie breakfast, and was told by the lady I think was the same lady who booked us in on the 10th, she will have go and the chef if she can do it. she came back yes for me that ruined the day not just for me but my girlfriend, the breakfast came, I was eating the breakfast and found a small bit of bacon under the egg, so I ordered a fresh one to me she was not please with me, and to be told it was a bit of dry egg being a chef and vegetarian, I do know what bacon looks like, so for my birthday we decided to eat out, so on our last day we went to have our breakfast this time it was a man again I ordered a veggie breakfast and was shock what he told me that we don't do vegetarian breakfast and told him that I had one yesterday, in his own words, no one told me because you need 24 hours to take the sausage out,you only got 9 rooms, all the staff to me should have name badge on and the last thing was in the bathroom clean room but that airflow let the hotel down badly

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
hitchin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Old Colonian is in a fantastic location, close to the beach and pier. it benefits from a great pub / restaurant and is competitively priced. However, after a long and tiring day of working, we finally reached the hotel and rang the bell at reception. Nothing. We held on for a few minutes then rang again. After a few more minutes a young woman stormed through and checked us in. We asked whether she had heard the bell. "Yes but it's not a 24 hour reception" was her response. No apology; just "sign this" whilst handing us the check in paperwork and informing us of breakfast times, once we'd asked her. A smile would have been nice, as would a warm welcome, after an exhausting day.
We were in Room, 1 which was right at the front of the hotel. It was large and clean with a nice enough bathroom. The negative was the noise from the pub and the very uncomfortable bed, but, compared to the rude woman, this was nothing.
Other than the above, the rest of our stay was great. Had a lovely meal in the restaurant and a nice breakfast which was served by a smashing chap who, quite contrary to the rude woman was warm and friendly. He checked us out and was very polite. Such a shame that we were treated so rudely initially. It's enough to make my blood boil - rudeness when I am paying your salary is inexcusable. And, despite all of the good points about this hotel, it's enough to deter me from staying again, which is a great pity.

Room Tip: Stay at the rear of the hotel as front rooms are noisy
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank jo w
Stourport-on-Severn, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Not impressed at all. We just wanted a pub lunch with a pint so ordered a sandwich and a jacket potato with cheese and beans. The sandwich was awful, very small and the chicken filling was like rubber. It came with a very small portion of chips. The baked potato was again very small and tasteless. The bill was over £18! Of course, you pay before you get the food so it's difficult to complain afterwards but when we did, the waitress claimed to 'not speak English'. We gave up and left. As we had only just arrived for a weekend stay, it gave us a very bad first impression of the area. Never again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Weston-super-Mare hotels

uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Just spent the night at the Old Colonial the postives are its location right on the seafront near the Pier, good parking and the young lady on reception was outstanding. Polite and very helpful probably the best thing about our stay. The negatives would have to be the room we were allocated, which although acceptably clean and tidy and comfortable every floor board creaked and groaned if you stood on it, the walls are paper thin and Iam not exaggerating ! If you broke wind Iam sure your neighbour would hear it. We were woken up by the room next door coming in at 3am and then being kept awake by every movement and word they uttered when they eventually went to sleep we were kept awake with their snoring, absolute nightmare. Ended up watching the TV until about 5:30 went fatigue took over and managed to fall asleep until guest started moving about from about 7am. Had booked for 2 nights but checked out after 1. would not stay there again. Its a shame the rooms were not up to the standard of the staff who really first rate.

Room Tip: If you are not a sound sleeper do not stay at this Hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank UkBobk
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stayed for one night, staff were all very helpful. The room was clean, the only way I could fault it, it was very warm. The location is excellent 200 meters from the pier and across the road from the beach. Best feature car park next to the hotel and cost of the room included parking fee. Might not be suitable for very young children as the bars close by were noisy. There was no lift so if stairs are an issue this might not be the hotel for you

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hugh j
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed here may 2014 for two nights small hotel, ok for a night or two, rooms clean and tidy, if you have front sea view room expect some noise not only from traffic but from bars next door.
Breakfast good but no fresh fruit offered just cereal.This is a cheap and cheerfull hotel with no
thrills, for longer breaks i would not stay here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple