“Nice hotel, shame about the locals!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Old Colonial

and 1 more site!
The Old Colonial
Wantage, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel, shame about the locals!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2009

We stayed at The Old Colonial Hotel for a night away and were very pleased with the location. The hotel itself has a great bar downstairs that serves typical pub grub, not too special but not too pricey either. Wine very reasonable as well, which is always welcome, as these places that charge ludicrous amounts for 'plonk' don't half get on my nerves!
The bedroom was very good, spacious and clean with a comfy bed. Could do with a fan in the room as no air conditioning, having said that this June has been very warm so it was expected that the room would be warm. The bathroom was again very clean, although very low pressure on the (non power) shower made it a bit difficult to wash your hair - in the morning, we had no water coming out at all as other guests were using their showers as well.
The only down side was that the position, right on the sea front, meant that you got all the locals coming out at 3:00am from the local nightclubs, absolutely plastered and swearing / shouting / singing / knocking bins over, etc., although this probably happens in every British seaside resort nowadays. Strange - through it all, lasting more than two hours, we never saw one police car or police patrol in the area, it is apparently acceptable behaviour in Weston to run around drunk in the early hours, yelling your head off. The Police were probably all itching to get back behind their speed guns and catch those pesky motorists...
Would recommend, but with the reservation that you have to expect noise outside the place - and therefore outside all the hotels along the seafront.
Final point; we booked direct and were quoted less than 'lastminuterooms.com', although when we checked out they put the price back up. I queried this and they matched the original price they quoted me, which was on my paperwork. Worth booking direct but get a reservation number or e-mail confirmation.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2009

I stayed here as a stop over hotel on my way to Devon with my fiancé and her parents. It was on a Friday night at the end of the month, and was pretty quiet. The hotel is in a great location, and on first impression doesn't look very impressive, however I have to say it's great. The rooms are really nice and have been brought bang up to date with flat screen TV's, nice bathrooms etc. Only issue is no lift, so be prepared to carry your luggage a few flights of stairs. The staff hotel were really friendly, and the pub downstairs is fine with a good menu. It's only few minutes to other restaurants etc. I only stayed for 1 night, and it did just the trick.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2009

We stayed here for one night and had a thoroughly enjoyable stay. There are many dubious hotels in Weston and this was a real find. We booked a standard double room and it was extremely spacious - there was plenty of space to fit another double bed in! Lovely white bed linen, tasteful neutral carpets and curtains, flat screen TV with freeview and free wi-fi should you need it. The ensuite was also spacious and modern with nice quality neutrogena toiletries. Everything spotlessly clean. Complimentary mineral water in the rooms was a nice touch, as were the ear plugs! Being a light sleeper these came in useful, although we didn't find the hotel noisy. The location is excellent, right on the seafront. There is a car park next door (not visible from many of the rooms, but it was from ours), but this is by no means unslightly as we could also see a full view of the beach - plus it meant that parking was not only free but very easy (the hotel had allocated free spaces within the car park). There is a nice bar on the ground floor with a varied menu - we found our breakfast excellent, very fresh and all the choice you would expect from far more expensive hotels. The bar on the ground floor wasn't atall rowdy and very clean and well kept - we never heard a thing from our room. Service was very friendly and efficient. Our only grumble was that we couldn't check in at 2pm as stated, as our room wasn't ready until 3.30pm. Thankfully, everything else was great so we soon forgot about this annoyance. Superb value - as mentioned before, there are some very dodgy places to stay in Weston which are overpriced and outdated. This certainly isn't one of them! Plenty to do in what we thought was the 'nicer' end of town, near the theatre and restaurants, but only about 5 minutes walk from the shops should you want some retail therapy. We will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Muffin25
Sudbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2009

On arrival, I remained reassured by previous reviews not to let the exterior put me off. Essentially, it is an big old sea front pub with rooms upstairs. Once inside and checked in, I was presented with a cavernous room with a full view of the sea and pier. It had nice little touches which some of the so-called "budget" chain hotels could learn from - free toileteries, free bottles of mineral water, nice flat-screen TV with a good selection (including Sky Sports News, BBC News channel etc).

A big bonus for me, being away on business, was free broadband wi-fi in the room (which, to be honest, was why I booked). It worked fine and there was even a nice old sofa in the corner to sit on while I worked (so much more comfortable than sitting on a bed).

Didn't dine in the pub downstairs, but the breakfast was fine (decent full English plus croissants, cereals etc).

Service throughout was good from the friendly lady who I assumed was one of the managers.

I paid just under £70 for the room and breakfast. Why on earth people go to Premier Inns for the same money is beyond me when this type of place is available.

The only negative in my book was that the plumbing system in the bathroom had some kind of electric pump, which groaned loudly every time a tap was so much as run for a second. It didn't wake me in the night, though, as I feared it would do.

I will be back!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank AmberRambler
Birmingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2008

I had the best fish and chips in a long while - worth the trip away from my family just for these!

• Liked — The food
  • Disliked — The weather
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)