Anchor Head Hotel
The Sandringham Hotel(Weston-super-Mare)
  • Breakfast included
Commodore Hotel(Kewstoke)
TripAdvisor
The Grand Atlantic Hotel(Weston-super-Mare)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsalfa travelalfa coachleisureplex hotelsbingo callingsea viewalpha toursound of the wavesentertainment every nightthe local bus servicenice seakept clean and tidywalking difficultiesbudget breakgreat entertainmentchedder gorgemeal timesfacing the road
Reviewed 29 April 2010

I took my elderly Mum here with Alfa for a short break. I found the hotel a little 'tired' and in need of updating, rooms very basic (blankets not duvets, no telephone) but the staff more than made up for it. All of the staff were very friendly and welcoming but our Polish waitress Anita was a real joy, always bright and smiling, nothing was too much trouble and she was such a hard worker always on the go. I asked her how she always managed to be so cheerful and she replied "I just love my job". The food, whilst basic, was good and plentiful, always several choices, served quickly and always piping hot. Overall the hotel was clean and comfortable, the views are stunning, but the ongoing roadworks in Weston are an absolute nightmare and I feel for the local businesses which must be losing so much income. A few extra touches such as hot choc and biscuits with the tea tray (they were only available as extras) and a few more toiletries would have been nice but for the price I don't suppose you can complain. The entertainment wasn't to my taste, but seemed to suit a lot of the older people there, it consisted of bingo and a singer each evening and although I was on the 3rd floor I could still hear the music, this coupled with noisy neighbours (must have been deaf the way they shouted!) who were thoughtlessly talking loudly on the landing and banging doors at nearly 2a.m. and having the TV blaring at 5.30a.m. meant I didn't get the best sleep - I do wish people would have a little thought for those of us who have gone away for a rest. I wouldn't recommened this hotel to friends of my own age as it really caters for older people, but it does that very well.

• Stayed: April 2010
2  Thank shropshiretraveller9
Reviewed 2 November 2009

The young staff were pleasant and helpful. How on earth they kept smiling while dealing with some of my rude, impolite and greedy fellow travellers I will never know!! The hotel is greatly in need of a serious refurbishment but it was exceptionally warm and very clean. The management have unneccessary computer-generated notices allover the hotel and very pungent, plug-in airfreshioners in many of the public areas.....why?
The breakfast was excellent, hot and fresh with a choice to suit most tastes and requirements; however , the dinner did not live up to the expectations described on the menu. The food was plentiful but overcooked and insipid!
My friend and I booked the hotel through Alfa Travel which is probably one of the most proffessional companies I have used. The trip was excellent value for money and I look forward to using them again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank BelleBlackpoolBelle
Reviewed 5 September 2009

The hotel staff, food, and hotel were all excellent will go back there again which we are doing end of September, clean and spotless what you expect from a place like that fair play to all staff best wishes Jez & Claire

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank apollo93
Reviewed 8 May 2009

Not a place to stay if you have mobilty issues, as this hotel is in a cescent with other large houses built on a hill. To get to the beach outside the hotel you have either take a risk by going down 34 uneven concrete steps or walking all the way around the crescent and down other steps. The area outside the hotel is some what grotty and all though the hotel it self is brightly painted the other houses are in a state of some disrepair. Inside the hotel is a mix of good and bad, lots of stairs to rooms and yet more to go down into basement for meals mean that the less mobile had to use the lift which could take 2 people in comfort, 3 with a squeeze, and for if packed in like sardines, watchout you do not get your backside caught in the door.
Because there were a lot a elderly staying a wait for this lift to go to meals took some time.
Rooms were a missmatch some so small that some of our party demanded being put some where else, a couple who paid for a sea view got put in the front overlooking the road ( lots of complaining there) plus yet another who had room 5 could not go to sleep before 11pm due to room backing on to dance floor where the evening entertainment took place (lots of singing and group music playing loud).
We had room 313 with a sea view which was ok when the tide was in but when it went out, which it did for some miles, the sea view we saw were rocks, shingle, and miles of mud flates, not very nice. The room was ok for a 2star and the bathroom had one of the best showers i have been in ,quite large, but there were concerns of the cleaning, for the 5 days we stayed although the beds were made there seemed to be little else done on cleaning the floors, i do not think it was hoovered all the time we were there, lots of dust uner beds etc.
Food was not to bad but not a great deal on plate, the first night there i chose seafood vol-a-vents what arrived was 2 vol-a-vents the size of a 2p piece with 2 of the tiniest shrimps i have seen cramed into them. The main course of Beef was 2 slices of wafer thin Beef with veg and this theme carried on, we had a starter one day of breaded scampi it turned out to be preformed fish not unlike a fish finger shaped to resemble a scampi, my 5 deep fried batter mushrooms came with only 3 having a mushroom inside, and the banana split for pudding was a small dish that you would have prawn cocktail in with 2 round slices of banana in the bottom cream and hundreds and thounsands on top. Some people even here had to send back dirty cups that had a green speck all inside and out and fruit juice glass`s that had lipstick stains on.
The staff were all eastern europeans had were very nice in what they did and i have no complaints about them, the trips out were also quite good but walking up a steep slope to get to the coach every time we went out was not a good experiance (Coach could not get outside of hotel).
Would i go again with elderly people to this hotel,not reconmended.

• Stayed: April 2009
2  Thank xcoachman
Reviewed 20 December 2008

Our stay at the Anchor head hotel in Weston Super Mare was part of a coach holiday with Alfa Travel. The hotel is part of the Leisureplex chain of hotels who are a sister company to Alfa travel.
We stayed for four nights in mid December 08 and received a warm welcome from the enthusiastic manager and his staff. The hotel was well heated and food was plentiful and enjoyable with an excellent range of choices on the menu.
The hotel backs onto the sea and because we paid extra for a sea view room our windows looked down over the narrow promenade and beach. The hotel has a large west facing terrace which also overlooks the sea and this would be an ideal place to have a drink and watch the sunset in warmer weather.
In our case we had no desire to sit outside due the extremely cold weather and instead settled ourselves in the well heated spacious bar which also looks west over the sea. Nightly entertainment was provided, which most guests thought to be of a good standard, but we tended to miss this as we chose the time go walking in an endeavour to walk off the excellent food that was provided, as part of our “Christmas Festive” holiday. It takes about 20 minutes or so to walk into the town centre and during the couple of days we had free time we enjoyed visiting the excellent range of shops.
Our room (106) wasn’t the biggest room we have ever stayed in but appeared to have been refurbished fairly recently and had a large radiator with thermostatic control which allowed us to choose the exact temperature that we required. The shower, which had Mira fittings, worked very well and there was always copious supplies of hot water. Room servicing was to a high standard and the room was clean and the bed had spotless white sheets and all towels were of good quality. No raggy worn towels here!
The only negative aspect was the fact that there were only two rather basic chairs in the room which weren’t very comfortable. When we wanted to relax and watch the small television we therefore had to lounge on the bed with its upright wooden headboard, which was uncomfortable to lay back on and the pillows supplied not sufficient to provide the padding required. I’m sure that the staff would have supplied us with extra pillows but we didn’t spend a massive amount of time in the room so we never got around to asking and just managed by using a spare blanket that had been stored in the wardrobe.
Although aimed at coach parties, the hotel is open to independent travellers and I would certainly consider this hotel if I needed to stay at Weston Super Mare in the future. This was our first visit to Weston and overall impressions are that the town seems generally well cared for and doesn’t have the “run down” look that many seaside resorts have today.

• Stayed: December 2008